The plan.... still there?

I’ll be honest. I would gladly trade prestige for minable oort and titans. Prestige is just a measurement. And for some, it’s a johnson measuring contest. :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

I’d agree that a roadmap is a monumental effort for a large company. Wonderstruck is relatively small as far as studios go. And roadmaps don’t necessarily require a full team or an outside resource to make happen.

I can appreciate the experience you’ve had with the one for your company. My two main jobs in my adult life have been working for a large healthcare software system and working for a hospital that uses said software. With the former each application team had to constantly come up with and present their own roadmaps to clients annually. It was just part of the job, not something we hired external resources for. And sure deadlines weren’t always hit. So we communicated that out and explained why. Sometimes ideas changed because we wanted more resources on another project or wanted to redesign something. So we communicated that out and explained why. It’s truly not rocket science. Then again, we were very much using agile so constant communication and partnership with clients was the whole idea.

For the second job I now take the roadmaps my old team gives out and use it to design the roadmaps for upgrades/implementations for both that system and many other 3rd party software systems for the largest hospital network in the state. COVID, as you might expect, has delayed many projects and has made us entirely halt our main software upgrade. So can you guess what we did? You got it, we communicated that out and explained why.

It’s truly not as complex a concept for all companies as it was for yours :smile:

Edit: Also this whole post has been about looking for the state of things shown in the past, not necessarily about a roadmap for the future.

4 Likes

I had thought about this as well. My limited connection with Dev teams has never seem them monitor their own program.

An analytics team did that.

And I haven’t worked at a company where the Dev team was responsible for enforcing their own program.

Another team did that.

Right now, I think the Dev’s are wearing a lot of hats that they can’t take off and that little extra of also communicating ahead might be cutting into their family time/life balance.

As to, why not respond to the older stuff. They have.

I wish we had the threads all saved. They have commented on Titans (a desire to have them) races…and other features in many older threads. These threads pop up every month or so with the same questions. I should organize responses of the old threads to copy/paste to add insight!

Good call.

8 Likes

I’ve been bookmarking all their important responses for future situations but I don’t have any of the ones I seen I the past a out this topic :frowning:

2 Likes

@Tagris and @Cuetzpalomitl if you have those replies on those topics that’d be huge! Please feel free to make a new post with that info so it’s easily searchable! You guys are my heroes <3

1 Like

Only relevant one I have is this.

Are we going to get races?

New races - yes or no?

I agree. The devs should at least tell us if promo stuff is still on the timeline, or if it’s been abandoned, even if they’re not gonna give us a full future timeline.

4 Likes

I do you a timeline in 1 minute.

Start -stuff - some other stuff - thingys - end

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more… not fan of it either and I think it’s a big source of frustration and conflict between players… but I guess there needs to be some automatic system in place for capitals to be a thing… and to base footfall payouts on etc :man_shrugging:

It’s just funny that all we have is fans discussing what could be, and absolute silence from devs.
This whole discussion is making me depressed because it only highlights how nice communication we were given is now absolutely canceled.
One way to engage interest is to give some hints about what’s coming. Yeah, there are always people who complain, but is that good enough reason to leave everyone else in the dark?
At this point I don’t feel excited about anything regarding Boundless. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fine game as it is, I like building and farming, but it feels like a dead game however you look at it, and devs are not helping with that image.
One more feeling I have about it is that game isn’t finished, but it’s not going anywhere specific.

3 Likes

Actually what we would like to see is an update about which features are worked on…
and which features are currently off the table… I can image that some features seemed to be unpractical with how the game now is. i mean there are big things missing eventhough advertised… while we are out of early devolopment … with no status if the plan changed or not.
for example… this :

i can see that most people dont see the creatures as natives… they are the kind of the same on all planets

2 Likes

I guess they could go the No Man’s Sky way and add procedurally generated creatures

with random attacks… flying wild stocks?

4 Likes

you are comparing a game that has thousands of planets and unique lifeforms to a game with 50 planets? thats has 5 mobs with 5 tiers?

3 Likes

Since there are exo worlds and the universe can dynamically grow… it would be impractical and cost prohibitive to hand craft creatures for each world… the only other way I see to get planet unique… ish creatures would be to make a procedural system for them… do I think it’s a good idea? No not really, but it seemed important to you so I threw it out there… i also linked THAT pic since it’s a bit ludicrous and I think players would end up complaining about that instead :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Well if they only made different mobs for different kind of planet. you have metal, lush and coal and ect for planets. But the ecosystem is in them all the same. For a explorer game i find the mob diversity lacking…

2 Likes

Lush, coal, metal, burn, blast, toxic, corrosive, chill, shock, blink, umbis, rift worlds… five creatures each… five tires each

Just 12x5x5… 300 creatures to model, mesh, animate… I guess you could just copy past the AI to save some work… at that point a procedural system might actually be better and give each planet unique animals instead of just the types…

1 Like

That’s an enormous amount of work, procedural or not. And probably why there aren’t more types of creatures.

7 Likes

Actually the idea of randomly generating wildlife as a new planet is introduced is a good idea. No Man’s Sky does it… and i hear James and Sean are friends! Would be a nice addition… though how much work it would be I have no clue… Would be Cool though!!

2 Likes

Maybe the Wildstock mob as we know it now is actually a placeholder for a whole host of different types of wildstock mobs that would be added?
idk about the rest of them. lol

Ive suggested it before, but a really simple option like trello could work wonders. Below is a great example of a company using it as a very fluid dev roadmap. Features and enhancements are mostly community driven (devs manage it and dont add every idea), but it shows ideas, sponsered/supported, whats next, whats currently being worked on etc. And gives a space for people to support/discuss/provide updates on each.

Sometimes things drop from ‘currently being worked on’ back to ‘up next’, or even taken off the table completely if other ideas take priority or need to happen first to make it even better. It happens, nothing is perfect, but that transparency goes a very very long way.

I dislike the “community couldnt handle it” argument. That really doesnt show a lot of love. And i believe if your open and honest generally people are understanding. Silence breeds frustration and distrust. And the vocal few who will surely complain along the way, are not the real fans of the game they should be catering to.

4 Likes