The problem with the nerf train

i wanted to make this its own post and not risk going off topic on the patch notes

while i understand the camp that says "players need to stop fouceing in the negative look at all this positive stuff " one des not nullify the other its starting to become a joke on some discord servers of “oh i wonder what they are going to nerf in the next patch” the spitter eyes for forgeing is not that big of a deal but when you lump it with the wax being needed for decorative blocks and the bomb nerf it starts to add up to the point where twitch streamers are starting to drop off one by one and telling there fans the game is going down hill and they are just echoing what eveyone is feeling right now.

twitch streamers are right now the main thing getting the game out there to the mass’s form what i have seen the game has not been given a ad budget so if the boundless page on twitch turns into a wasteland the only way to hook new players would be old school word of mouth my self i have been telling my friends to wait and see if things get better.

i feel we need to bump the breaks with the nerfs and give people a chance to get used to what is already been handed out 1 or 2 more patches like this and we may see numbers drop down to the hardcore players only.

i called the thread the problem with the nerf train cuz thats what it feels like a nerf train making its stop evey patch

9 Likes

Agree. While no single nerf is necessarily the end of the world, I’ll have to agree with the Twitch streamers on this one. Why make changes that make 1 person happy, 50 people are “OK” with and 2,000 people hate?

2 Likes

There is a flip side to the coin. If the dev’s realizes something is not balanced the way they intended it to be, and they fix it later than sooner, it will allow players to be even more used to it, and more angry when they nerf it back into place.

Rip off like a bandaid. If there are some players leaving this game over things that are so small, then they must not of liked the game at all. Because it’s still one of the best out there no matter how you look at it. And it’s by far not the grindiest mmo. So many players here are level 50 after 3 weeks. Something I personally feel should take a year.

I’ve played SWG, Everquest 1 and 2, WoW, Starwars Old Republic, and all of them are twice as grindy.

11 Likes

buffing isn’t exactly an improvement either as it gives way to power creep and ignoring things that need changing isnt anyway to deal with any issues so there has to be compromise somewhere

2 Likes

A year to reach 50 in a game that requires skill points gained through leveling to have any sort of efficiency? Yikes

3 Likes

Well maybe not a year. But hell 3 weeks is stupid easy

1 Like

While I understand that the devs want people to use different materials that are in the game, I think it would be nice to see new recipes for people to enjoy. Ash I don’t think really fits the whole idea behind making bricks.

It could have been used to create a new fuel source to make heat and spark from that is a better in between for Compact Peat and Compact Coal blocks.

The other issue I think that is real is changing crafting recipes based on what people are storing in their warehouses. If I have 50,000 Flint (I don’t have that much) and gathering more than I can consume or sell, that doesn’t mean that flint needs to be added to existing recipes? It means there needs to be more new recipes that incorporate it into the crafting. If there’s a raw material that doesn’t get used that much then that means there isn’t recipes that people find useful enough to stockpile loads of the raw material.

Bomb mining did need a nerf. A lot of what went behind that change was because the developers (mostly what James and Luke said this year months ago) that they don’t want bombs to replace hammers for mining. I get that. I was planning on using 3x3 hammers from the start anyways cause I want the rocks and their drops.

I think the new player experience needs improved too since so many people were struggling to find basic resources to do basic things with. I even took a long break away from the game to skip all that headache during the early head start portion for us alpha testers so others could get the portal infrastructure in place cause I didn’t want to run around with a smart stack of Warp Augments and basic Totems. I am just lucky I found people who are willing to work with me and hire me as a mining contractor. It’s been a fun change of pace.

There are drop rate issues for certain items, there’s resource regeneration issues cause of land grabbing that can be fixed with having more worlds, there’s also a lack of content that needs to be in the game too.

Whether it’s a nerf or buff, gotta learn to adapt to the circumstances you have and improve your position. This game is pretty easy and there’s a little bit of a learning curve at first as a new player. Luckily this community is helpful enough to share information inside and outside of the game.

5 Likes

Thank you for this. I was feeling very old-school here, wondering what the fuss about grind was all about. I remember raiding in Vanilla WoW … as a Discipline Priest. It took months to even get to max level, more months to get enough gear to step into the first raid, and every week I spent most of my time grinding out all of the things I would need to be prepared for a night of 40 people unsuccessfully banging their heads against a raid boss.

By comparison, here I am a 2-3 week old Boundless player. I’m more than half way to max level on multiple characters, and have been very happily solo-building a replica of a real-world castle. I’m over 35k prestige all by myself, with none of this refined gleam silliness.

I don’t understand the rush to max level / “end-game” machines / etc. I’m fully enjoying the ride as is.

11 Likes

Remember that lvl 50…isn’t. Getting 3-4 alts to lvl 50 is lvl 50.

Does that make sense?

1 Like

I did too, and all those games had incremental improvements to characters and 50 times the content rating the additional grind.

Boundless does not.

4 Likes

look i have a specialized gatherer character for plants, so maybe im not feeling the scarcity other people have a problem with, but i feel a greater bottle-neck in plain fuel than in wax… maybe cause i still dont have the compactor coils.
But both is easy to gather. i seriously dont understand why people have such a problem gathering some plants. its really easy with atlas to walk 5 min over the surface and pick flowers >.<

@Stormsoul opinions usually are not helpful and i never claimed it is the only one that matters. Also there is a difference between judging someone in the form LennonMarx did and just voicing the own opinion.

If you don’t understand but actually want to, here is the tl;dr.

Any one task is easy enough to do. The way the game is designed is that you have to do all/most of the tasks to do any one thing in the game. This means that groups of smaller players have to have more alts/be higher level to do anything, because you have to do everything (if you craft you have to gather, if you hunt you have craft, etc.*). Continuing to move the goal posts of what “everything” entails is draining.

*You of course are going to say “lololol just buy it noob.” That is fine if you want to play like that, but a game like this, with this look, implies/encourages building/making your own stuff and having to have a dedicated gatherer to go out and make you money to play the part of the game that you actually find fun is draining to some/feels like a 2nd job. We play games to have fun, after all.

Edit: I think it’s adorable that you are playing the victim after getting called out for your trolling/constantly dismissive posts that add nothing to the discussion. An opinion is “I think this is good/bad for X” not “trololol what garbage you scrub . I do this fine so no one should have any problem ever.”

4 Likes

I see no post by @LennonMarx before your ‘trololol’ post in this thread. I do see one (deleted) one after it. Seemed to me you were replying to the OP and referring to anyone who agreed with the original poster as a ‘whiner’ of some sort.

To perhaps play devil’s advocate here, something some players of MMO games are looking for is a return to specialization, and a need for cooperation with ones group (friends/guild/etc). The way I see it, the game developers are trying to reach that group of players by making it impossible to do everyone on one character. The intent is not to make people create an army of alts to do everything oneself; the intent is to give people reasons to work together.

3 Likes

None of those games were casual builders either. Boundless is advertised as such. So much harder to balance this type of game.

I mean for god’s sake, they add one item to a recipe, and we actually have people saying they’re quitting. They fix a over powered to hell and back problem, and again same players saying it was the “only fun” way to mine, and now wanting to quit.

The dev’s have the right to design their game they way they want. For the most part is one of the best games out there. If they listen to every player, it would have never left the drawing table. This is a crafting 1st game, hunting gathering second. It has a progression and is meant to last a while.

There were some glitches, and in-balancing not meant to be in the game that many were able to cash in on. That train has sailed. Sorry. But there may be other things that need balancing to. NONE of which are game breaking. More things will get nerfed.

If it takes you a little longer to make something, or gather it, so what? The game isn’t going anywhere. There is no race, no place to be, no rush, other than your perceived rush.

7 Likes

I think this is a great point. Community is for sure a huge aspect of the game, but I have to question 10 available character slots, each with 3 skill sets possible, if that is the goal, as well as the lack of any formal guild/clan structure in the game.

I agree with that, from what I’ve seen, the devs want to heavily encourage people to play together, trade, etc.

However, compared to most large MMOs, Boundless is (unfortunately, and at least for the moment), rather niche-market. I’ve been hoping (and commenting here and there) since EA that there could be found a middle ground, where both playstyles could be accomodated.

Because, honestly, I can’t see how a thousand players can keep a buy-2-play game going, long term. I could very well be wrong about that, and I hope I am. I do love the game, I bought it in EA, I bought the Adventurer Pack, I upped to a higher level Founder pack, I bought the Deluxe Edition. I hope it does succeed.

That’s exactly why some people are worried about the grind/nerfs. We want to see it succeed and continue, and we’re afraid if it continues down this path, it might not.

when I have to spend the entire day’s worth of game time (or week’s for that matter) to gather the massive quantities of materials for mass crafting (because who wants to waste resources single or bulk crafting? certainly not me) it is really disheartening and makes me want to play a game where I actually get to feel the rewards of my labour in the same game session.

4 Likes

I wonder if the devs added a system where you could pin up to 3 recipes you are crafting towards (similar to how you can pin quests), and as you got items for the recipe a bar/number filled up. Would that make everything better? It sounds dumb, but I know myself that getting 40 diamonds for a bulk craft is a slog, but if I had a number go up when I picked them up so I could see how close I was, I would probably be okay with that. Kinda reminds me of the Well Rested Buff vs. Tired Penalty in WoW. Player psychology is weird some times.

Really? I can’t tell if you’re trying to troll me or if you don’t actually know…
That exists already.