The Tamed Creature Protect System!

Every creature should be tameable because tamed creatures most of the time give more materials.
Let’s say the bomb creatures drop a valuable ressource. Now you have the choice. Kill it and get the material or use time and effort to tame it. Now you can use it as lifestock. Breed it with another one so you can kill the young. Basically use time to make your life easier in the long run.
Since we don’t want to prevent anyone from doing everything but still want to have specialized people who can sell stuff not everyone can make, you could say that the whole process of taming and breeding needs so much time and/or effort you don’t really have time to do something else. Tada taming profession born.

I said you should be able to tame every creature because why shouldn’t you. Of course now that you mention it you shouldn’t be able to ride things that are smaller than you^^

Except for the immortality part that’s exactly what I said. Tame a creature. Use it. How to balance things? Limit how many pets you can use at a time.

Why should anybody be forced to have a pet? Just because you can tame everything doesn’t mean you have to. Maybe there will be doofus creature which is completely useless. Should you be able to tame it? Sure. Do you have to? No.
But I see no reason to not be able to tame any creature.

No you shouldn’t. And noone ever said that.
Taming can be done by hatching eggs and stealing young or just earning the trust of a creature.

But you seem to confuse Pet with Tamed creature.

Maybe there will be no Pets as such. Maybe we will only have lifestock (even if it is just until 2.0). But those are still tamed creatures.

You seem to think, just because every MMO had to abstract tamed creatures to pets which have to be immortal and summonable because they don’t roam freely in the world, means that a Sandbox game which isn’t bound by those limitations has to do the same thing.

That’s exactly why Boundless looks so promissing. It can do things MMOs couldn’t do and it can do things Sandboxes couldn’t do.

One of these things is a better creatures system than say WoW.

And just because ARK was a bit overkill doesn’t mean the idea behind it is bad.

edit.
@Vastar

You summed it up perfectly, thanks for that^^

3 Likes

They can be put on “attack on sight”

While I understand what your saying,I think that would be a cool thing for Boundless,you can choose to have a OP pet to carry around with you,or focus on yourself,and have OP weapons.

Well,I didn’t know that,you are right,but I still think it would be a cool system to have in Boundless.

Sadly it will be both. You’ll be forced to have an OP pet and OP weapons to survive. Which isn’t cool at all.

Very nice. good explanations and logic, i like it. I still dont agree its a good or fitting system, but you do have some nice arguments, What you should know though is that i go from the argument of “No breeding” system. which is why i dont think you should be able to tame everything and why i think it should be “Pets” and not just tamed creatures. I never said pets should be immortal or unkillable, i just said that they shouldn’t be able to die permanently.

I too think that @Vastar hit a very nice middle ground, it all depends on what is planned :smile:

1 Like

Why do you say that,if everyone is OP,then no one is OP,and we are all just equal.

You should have communicated that premiss earlier :stuck_out_tongue:

If a pet can be revived it is technically immortal^^

But yes since we don’t know anything about how we’ll be able to use tamed creatures, we can’t really find the best solution yet.

@G_Sage Yes we’ll be all equally OP but you’ll be forced to have a pet with you to be equal. That’s the point.

1 Like

Or…you could be a OP SOB yourself,and there’s no need for a pet.

But,that’s how life works,you live,you die,forever. That’s just what it is,creatures are no exception to this rule.

Which isn’t possible if the pets are as OP as you want them^^

2 Likes

By same logic we should have permadeath for characters in the game.

Okay,well there could be a level that no creature can pass,once you level your tame up to…25,35,45,50,whatever it is.
But players have a level higher than that,so a pet can be very useful,but not completely OP.

Had a felling you would say that,but if your pets can’t die, then there’s no reason for having one. Why have a…Dire wolf if it can’t die,there’s no fun in having permanent pet,the fun part is trying to protect it,and keep it alive. But if it can’t die,then it’s nothing but a tool,like a pick axe.

You genuinely find it “Fun” to use a ton of time leveling up a creature to just have it die and having to start all over again? i think its the other way around, if they can die they are nothing but disposeable tools, you have to tame 10 different creatures so you always have something in case it dies rather than have 1 pet you can really invest a ton of time and resources into making unique and awesome, rather than just having an army of copy paste creatures.

EDIT: BUT AGAIN, i am heavily biased, my friend and i spent 15 hours taming and leveling 3 creatures and one day they were just gone because they chased an animal or was killed or something. or spent 10 hours leveling one creature where you were unlucky enough for a T-rex to suddenly pass you by and kill you and your creature. for me the problem is with most systems you cant truly protect your creatures, its the same with permadeath, if you had full control over your character then it would be fine but we are limited to it being “Just” a computer game with arbitrary numbers determining when something is alive and dead

What is the “fun” of working on something and having it all taken away. would you like perma death? when you die you simply lose your character and you have to start “all over” after all that is a proper challenge dont you think?

1 Like

That’s the point,when you play a game,you want to be immersed in the game. You want to feel happy because you’ve just leveled up,or mad because you died in a PvP battle,or sad because your favorite tame has died.
When,you tame a creature and spend time leveling it up,what’s the point,just to level the creature,no it’s to make the creature stronger and more unique,make it special to you.Now,if you do choose to spend 10h leveling a creature just to have it die,I’m sorry,but that’s the fun part,you want to keep it alive. Make sure that it doesn’t die,and if it dies you don’t just replace it with some carbon copy. You get another one,and spend more time on it, so if this one dies you…feel it.

And,that would suck,but that’s not the case. If your dog,cat,fish dies,you don’t just say well,I spent all this time on this dog,you buy the dog knowing it will one day die. You buy that dog,so you can have fun rising it,have fun spending time with it. The same goes for the game,the difference in the game,you can keep that dog forever,you just have to try,spending time with it(leveling it up),having fun with it(riding it on a Titan,and jumping off in to the fresh water below).

Matter of opinion, I think it is a horrible system and shouldn’t be in any game that isnt specifically focused on survival and hardcore punishment, but some people do like their games super hardcore, which is fine, i just dont think boundless is a super hardcore game.

I bought ark, i just dont enjoy it. i understand why some people would like it because it has a very niche audience, but these systems made for survival games should stay in survival games, the same reason i dont suggest boundless should have an army and a millitary red alert style gameplay, nor do i suggest it should be a top down twin stick shooter. Some systems can cross over and some can be done well, but the majority just doesn’t work in my eyes in a sandbox MMORPG.

Well,it wouldn’t super hard all the time,now while a good tame might die now and then,but if your good,you can keep the tames you really FEEL for,but your right it’s just a mater of option,let’s just agree to disagree.

1 Like

Why make it so complicated? Ark is a survival game where taming giant beasts as a main focus. Boundless is a sandbox based around building, exploration and survival. I don’t feel like all monster types should be tamed. Some should be out-right wild monsters! I would break creatures into three categories: livestock, passive, and agressive. Give creatures clear roles and I think you will ultimately have more fun with it. Why have scary monsters that attack you if you are just going to try to tame it, not slay it? Make monsters truly monsters to be feared, battled and conquered. Keep the livestock for food and tame passive creatures if you have the time (even train them to help hunt, like wolves) but in want my monsters dangerous.

2 Likes

You can have scary monsters which are untameable in adult form and still steal their eggs for example to tame their young. I see no conflict with you wanting to have dangerous monsters and being able to tame every creature.

1 Like