The Tamed Creature Protect System!

Well,this is just a little idea I had,but since PvP will be a HUGE thing in Boundless,I think taking a tamed creature and setting it to “Protect” would be a great feature to have.
What do you do when you are AFK,and someone wants to kill your animals or attack your base. Well you put a beacon up of course,but if you are unable to put up a beacon,then you take your best tame and put it on protect. What this would do is,if anyone does want to mess with your things,your tame can defend what ever you set it to. The intruder won’t see a thing before they’re dead,and the have to respond. When the player comes back to the game they will see a dead body near there base,they can loot it,and harvest its meat for food. Now,the player will have to judge if they want to do this or put up a beacon,because while a beacon can not die,your tame can.
I can see why someone wouldn’t want to do this,but if you do instead of a beacon,you could get loot,meat,and your tame could get some great XP. It could also be used while mining,taming other creatures or in a battle. But that’s about it,I think it would be a cool idea,I hope you think so too.

1 Like

PvP won’t be a HUGE thing at all. At least how it stands at the moment.

1 Like
  1. PvP will barely be a minor thing, and it seems like if it will it wont even be serious
  2. IF taming makes it into the game your creatures shouldn’t be able to be killed permanently.
  3. There should never be a case where people can “attack” your base.

It generally sounds like ARK would be a great game for you to try, it has all of these things :smiley:

I agree with 1 and 3.
Why shouldn’t you be able to kill your creatures? How would you get the materials from them? How will a economy work in which you can buy one creature which never dies?

I see only negative points if tamed creatures can’t die.

1 Like

That i played too much ARK to ever enjoy that system again. by taming i mean PETS, and i dont think it should be like ark where you can have as many as you can feed. The pet should still be able to die, but it shouldnt be in a way where you can never get them back. a payment fee, a ressurection shrine. something, instead of having “runner 1, runner 2, runner 3…” where you dont give a flying ■■■■ if they die.

Would you kill your own pet for materials? you are savage xD

TL;DR, i hope for WoW pet system rather than ARK tame system.

EDIT: for materials, kill wild animals, go hunt. If they make something along a farming animal system i guess it has to work differently, but those would be resources, not pets.

EDIT2: In a system where there is no PvP and people can’t kill your pets anyways, i see no reason why they should suffer permadeath. in a game such as ark which is build on taming stuff it makes more sense, but i dont think it does for boundless. However this is personal opinion.

Well you said creatures which you’ll also must tame in some way to use them.

But ok let’s talk about pets. Yes I think they should die, forever. Why should I give a “flying ■■■■” if it can’t die? That logic doesn’t make sense. I will be more careful with my pet if it will be dead permenantly.

The “runner 1, runner 2, runner 3…” system is only for productive livestock. Which have to be replaceable because you will harvest them someday.

I would also hate for pets to be summoned. They should stay in the world like any other creature.
Also I don’t think a distinction between pet and normal tamed creature makes sense in Boundless if you can tame any creature anyway. Which I hope will be the case.
For 1.0 a pet will most likely be only a mount anyway. And hopefully every creature can be mounted

Eh, i dont agree with any of that. but i’m sadly not in the mood for a good discussion. so i will leave it be.

But before i leave, riddle me this “What is to prevent a person from bringing 15 tamed creatures with him to kill everything around him?”

riddle me this, riddle me that,
the answer is nothing, how about that?

Or at least it is nothing if you can control 15 tamed creatures at once. If you want to make it balanced then this is something you could do, limit the amount one can control at a time. Which would be only a problem anyway, if they could fight for you.

Also, since PvP balance isn’t a concern, why shouldn’t you be able to bring multiple creatures? I mean either you use less but good trained ones or more which can die easily but are replaceable.
If you invest the time to train 15 creatures and you can control them, you should also be able to use them.

Alright, i think i should be able to use a weapon that can instant kill everything, after all there isnt any pvp right? I dont believe all creatures should be tameable, why would they? need materials? kill them, need a mount? find a logical creature for a mount, would make 0 sense to ride forexample the bomb creatures or the ghastly creatures.

ARK’s system is MEANT to be overpowered, but this isnt a survival game with no economy, this is an MMORPG with a single universe. I think The Repopulation does a brilliant job of pet systems, there are 3 types, Tamed, Robotics, and Genemutated. The tamed you level up from ground, if they get hurt you can use vetenarian skill to heal them up, you will be punished for them dying. but they wont be gone forever, you can use ONE PET! and nothing more, Gene mutation is using DNA from creatures to create a pet which when it dies will disappear forever, those doesnt need to be tamed or taken care of, they are more the whip out and use time, and robotics has to be crafted and can do a variety of things.

I think for boundless having a pet should be an OPTION, people shouldn’t be forced to have pets, they should be able to well enough without. The ARK system is basically made as “everything other than pets are nearly useless”

i have set it before: I would really love taming in boundless, but i believe it should be very specific creatures you can tame and you have to level them up from cubs and foals and use a lot of time on them, i dont think you should be able to go into a group of 15 creatures and come out with 15 pets. Permadeath for pets and creatures is just plain out a horrible system for a game like this.

1 Like

Well,I for one believe that the player should do with his tames what he wants to,and please stop comparing Boundless to Ark,this is a new game with different rules and people,and only time will tell how the games taming system will work.I f it’s like Ark or if it’s its own thing.

The system you suggested and the system he suggested is LITERALLY the system that ARK uses. So i do think it is a fair comparison.

1 Like

Who said there’s no PvP,I think there should be a hole bunch of killing everywhere. (Sorta)

No,the system in Ark is a little different than mine.

Ben

Yes,it won’t be a blood bath,but he did say there will be some,and that’s the point.
There will be some fun,casual PvP.

Nope, they are actual identical.

Tamed creatures can be killed = ARK
Tamed creatures can be put on defense mode = ARK
Base can be attacked = ARK
PvP will be huge = ARK
You can loot dead enemies = ARK
Creature gets EXP for killing stuff = ARK
Taming of multiple creatures = ARK

For @KuroKuma

Pets should stay dead forever = ARK
Creatures should be replaceable after you kill some of them =ARK
Pets shouldnt be summonable = ARK
Tame any creature = ARK
Any creatures should be mountable = Almost ARK, even they have the decency to not allow tiny creatures to be mounted

Please do tell me where i am wrong. Again there is nothing wrong with that, i just dont think it is fitting for an MMORPG. :smiley:

Also,I think you should be able to tame what eve you can handle,now a titan is a whole different topic,but still taming everything else would be cool.

Completely fair opinion, i just disagree whole heartedly

1 Like

Sadly it seems like @KuroKuma is right with his assumption on PvP only playing a minor role in B< (the devs already stated that several times, I´m still hoping that they´ll change their mind on this tho).
Independently of that, do you really think that a hostile player would mind a little NPC creature if he sees a player AFKing in a PvP area? This would require the creatures to be able to 1v1 a player which would be way to OP and effectively force every player to carry a pet around.
Going afk (or leaving something unbeaconed) in B< should be dangerous IMO.

@Zouls Whether pets (not talking about livestock) should die or not depends on how complex the pet/taming system is going to be. If we get a WoW (using your example) like pet system with a separate leveling system and skill tree for the pets they should indeed be ‘reviveable’ (The Fallout/Skyrim companion “knockout” mechanic seems fitting for me).
If pets/companions are just animals that follow and fight for you after you tamed them (like it is done in Minecraft) then they should be able to suffer a permadeath since it´s easy to replace them.
Personally I think that #2 would fit better into B<.

4 Likes

Okay,most of what you said is true,but…
1.Animals in Ark can be put on defense,but they can not defend the way I’d like them to.
They can be put on (Neutral), which is different from protect,which would let them kill whatever got in a specific area. While “Neutral” is in case the creature got attacked,and needs to fight back.