Things You Wish You Knew When You Started Out - Hints and Tips

So this is a place to post all your helpful tips, there’s been lots of updates since the last thread is so time for some new ones you may have picked up over your time playing. The aim of this is so everyone can contribute little things they’ve picked up along the way.

I’ll start with;

You can save any location you visit by going into your locations tab and clicking on current location, then save location, you can also put a helpful note such as “coal mine”

9 Likes

on that location tab you can also select a previously saved location and click on “set landmark”. on your compass a mark will appear over all other compass items, directing you to the location you selected. it will disappear if you select it again, or if you arrive at the location.

8 Likes

BASICS

• The world regenerates, every 8 hours or more (times are a guesstimate). It won’t regenerate as long as it’s protected by a beacon or someone has passed through the area every 8 hours or less.

• You can see what’s inside your beacon with a beacon, beacon plotter or beacon plot remover in hand. What’s inside will have a cube with a white tint covering it.

• It’s best if you equip a beacon, beacon plotter and/or beacon plot remover with no other tools, as you have a better interface to place and remove plots.

7 Likes

Speaking of beacons you can craft as many beacons as you like, meaning multiple bases, plus everything inside your beacon can’t be touched or taken by anyone else.

You can add people to your beacon by adding them you your friends list first (interact/trade with a person then go to your friends tab and send a friends request) then adding them to your beacon if you wish to build together - but as always in MMO make sure you know the person well first before giving access.

If you want to move your beacon within your build - just place down another beacon and remove the old one. All your plots will stay as long as they have one beacon to attach themselves to.

6 Likes

Oh my goodness I just found out something incredible…

I had been trying to figure out some way to choose / separate a specific amount of items out of a full stack, and I couldn’t for the longest time. I gave up and figured that they hadn’t added that into the game for some reason.

I guess if you hold down left-click on a stack of items, a separate item count will pop up, and you can drag left-right or up-down and it will let you choose a specific amount of items to separate from the stack. It’s a bit convoluted for something that should be simple… but at least we have it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes
  • Use dual grapples, pretty useful for climbing out holes, “walk” on ice, climb mountains, pull people.

• Dying brings consequences, lost in durability of your tools and weapons.

• Light cube is fun, torches are better. You can use lanterns, gleam, basic torches, gem torches or normal torches. Diamond, topaz torches and torches are the best.

• The orange house in your HUD represents your beacon, the houses represents other players beacons, and the people silhouette represents people.

• Check your smart stack with right click. You can separarte the items from the smart stack by pulling them out with left click into an empty slot in your inventory. You can also choose the block by placing them first in your smart stack and equipping the smart stack.

• You can single out certain quantities from a stack by holding left click on it and pulling. Pulling in the 12 hour direction will bring 1, and in the 6 hour mark, will bring half and so on. Proportional to how a clock works.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s not really intuitive. But that’s just how they did it for allowing a system in PS4 and PC that was the same on both.

4 Likes

Ah… Well, that’s disappointing. Makes sense, though. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

it’s not final, they’re reviewing some ways to improve upon the experience. If you have any good suggestions, it would be good if you posted them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great tips guys, keep them coming!

When placing down your first machines bear in mind you will need to connect them up to a “Spark Core” and “spark cord” pipes later on so try to plan for this.

Moving machines is easy enough, however you don’t want to be moving your Spark Core around or you lose all the spark it currently had stored.

7 Likes

A little bit into the game you’ll want to make storage blocks/shelves. Really nice to get a head start on these before you run out of inventory space. You can find the recipe here http://boundlesscrafting.com

6 Likes

You can adjust your settings to only spin one hand - really useful to have a grappling hook stay equipped in one hand and be able to spin through tools and blocks in the other hand.

6 Likes

However, if you want efficient Storage, I’d stick with Crafting Tables for a while. They are MUCH cheaper to make, and give more storage spaces.

3 Likes

Since I’ve seen a lot of people post that tools have mysteriously vanished or that there’s no death penalty I figured I’d post this;

The penalty for a death is damage to all your tools in your bag - if you die too many times your tools will be destroyed!

3 Likes

Pressing “.” (Full stop) while ingame will cycle a few options(Debug menu?). This will allow you to take HUDless screen shots and find your coordinates. Continue cycling to reset this back to normal.

2 Likes

We recently had an internal preview of how this works in game, its quite similar. There is also hint text when you mouseover a stack.

1 Like

You can find blue Blue Gleam on Munteen VII by digging up graves; not just any graves though; the graves made out of Metaphoric Rock always yield Blue Gleam. The graves made out of Refined Metaphoric Rock, Metaphoric Stones and Metaphoric Brick all yield Dirt and Mould.

9 Likes

Never minded enough to notice, i just mined everything and killed the creatures who wanted my head.

1 Like

That’s really useful info, will go out and test it later to see if there’s similar patterns on other grave planets! Do you mind if I add a line in my Gleam guide for that information with credits due?

2 Likes

I don’t mind at all, go ahead.

Let us know what you find on your test runs.

1 Like