Things You Wish You Knew When You Started Out - Hints and Tips

You can adjust your settings to only spin one hand - really useful to have a grappling hook stay equipped in one hand and be able to spin through tools and blocks in the other hand.

6 Likes

However, if you want efficient Storage, I’d stick with Crafting Tables for a while. They are MUCH cheaper to make, and give more storage spaces.

3 Likes

Since I’ve seen a lot of people post that tools have mysteriously vanished or that there’s no death penalty I figured I’d post this;

The penalty for a death is damage to all your tools in your bag - if you die too many times your tools will be destroyed!

3 Likes

Pressing “.” (Full stop) while ingame will cycle a few options(Debug menu?). This will allow you to take HUDless screen shots and find your coordinates. Continue cycling to reset this back to normal.

2 Likes

We recently had an internal preview of how this works in game, its quite similar. There is also hint text when you mouseover a stack.

1 Like

You can find blue Blue Gleam on Munteen VII by digging up graves; not just any graves though; the graves made out of Metaphoric Rock always yield Blue Gleam. The graves made out of Refined Metaphoric Rock, Metaphoric Stones and Metaphoric Brick all yield Dirt and Mould.

9 Likes

Never minded enough to notice, i just mined everything and killed the creatures who wanted my head.

1 Like

That’s really useful info, will go out and test it later to see if there’s similar patterns on other grave planets! Do you mind if I add a line in my Gleam guide for that information with credits due?

2 Likes

I don’t mind at all, go ahead.

Let us know what you find on your test runs.

1 Like

I JSUT FIGURED THIS OUT AFTER 191 HOURS. WHEN SWIMMING, PRESS ‘C’ TO SWIM DOWNWARDS.

its much faster than slowly floating downwards

9 Likes

Also works as crouch, to keep you from falling off a ledge. :wink:

5 Likes

Stuck in a hole with no tools? Stuck on lava level and your last grappling hook just broke, stuck inside someone else’s build through locked doors?

Just return to Sanctum and select the open portal - it will give you the option to “bump” the portal to another location close by. This can also be used to return to the surface from a mining expedition if you dig yourself into a hole it’s likely to jump you up to the surface.

7 Likes

To expand on what Annie wrote, you can also use the portal on the right in Sanctum to port directly to any destination you’ve previously saved. There is a catch though, it will cost you 100 coins minimum, and an additional 100 per hop, so if the planet you want to port to is three hops away, it’ll cost you 400 coins.

It’s for this reason I recommend saving the location of each portal hub on each planet. That way, if you’re miles underground and want to go home, you can port to Sanctum, then straight to the hub on that planet for an affordable 100 coins.

Don’t forget to donate some Oort Stones to one of the blue Buying plinths nearby most portal hubs; the owner of those portals needs them to keep 'em open.

8 Likes

Great Tips so far :slight_smile:

Another not so useful tip, don’t try to make friends with lava. Lava needs no friends. He only needs you to die.

• Use “c” (crouch) to reach close to roadrunners. Use a grappling hook and a slingshot to kill it.
  • Use multiple machines and spark cores to accelerate crafting when you have multiple recipes to do and/or want to generate more spark in less time.
  • Mass crafting saves resources.
7 Likes

Since @Okkelinor seems too shy to post it here, here’s his useful map of the available planets.

8 Likes

to add on that, rotating clockwise to increase and counterclockwise to decrease is more precise than draging up & down or left & right

2 Likes

Spark cores can be stacked/connected and accessed from one GUI… each core adds a fuel slot to the GUI… this allows for faster generation of spark. only one core in the chain needs to be connected your machines to connect all of them. =)

10 Likes

The Chisel can rotate crafting tables and machines.

The shovel is the default tool, and brakes decorative blocks and machines faster and more efficiently than other tools. However, due to a bug, all tools of a given material (copper iron silver gold ect.) are equally effective on all blocks for the time being.

6 Likes

Buying and selling plinths charge a 10% tax.

Selling plinths (the red ones) the buyer pays the tax. The seller cannot see the tax. So the price is always 10% higher than what the seller set.

Buying plinths (the blue ones) the seller pays the tax. This is not communicated however the sellar will notice that their total is 10% less than it should be.

Rounding rules do not apply, so the tax can be avoided if the prices are under 10 coins

7 Likes