This Game Needs Automation to Compete w/ Minecraft

This sounds like heaven lol

3 Likes

What is redstone? Are you saying in minecraft you can automatically harvest stones as long as they’re red?

minecraft has a pretty robust modding scene so these are all covered by mods.

the issue with redstone like anything that interacts with inventory is players are going to just build things they can abuse while not playing the game, which leads to this downwards spiral of nerfs by the devs

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but in Minecraft, Redstone basically acts like wire. You use it to connect different things (ex. a Lever and a Lamp) and the lamp will turn on or off when the lever is pulled. That’s a very basic example, but you can also attach it to things like pressure plates, or chests, and then you can have, for example, a chest that autosorts whatever is placed into it by sending the loot to other appropriate chests. Very handy and extremely versatile. :slight_smile: It essentially allows you to “program” simple tasks.

1 Like

Never played minecraft much my self or used redstone, but some sort of automation would be cool.

Minecraft is Minecraft. Boundless is boundless. Why do you always want to copy Minecraft-like games one to one with Minecraft? - Then boundless is no longer boundless.

1 Like

It not about copying another game, it’s about further advancements. Why be so close minded about advanced mechanics?

It’s not like they would put in something called redstone, I’d be fine with oort dust :joy:

I mean isn’t every voxel building game like Minecraft in some way or another

2 Likes

Really, vanilla Minecraft doesn’t have much automation. You can use hoppers to sort things, and I think you can even use them to load up furnaces, but you can’t craft with them.

Redstone itself is more similar to basic wiring, which is required for things like… light switches and the like.

The kind of automation we’re talking about, piping things around between machines is more like what I have read about people doing in No Man’s Sky. There are also Minecraft mods that do this, but not vanilla.

My opinion on machine automation is that it would fit the feel of Boundless better if automation was done through NPCs working for you rather than Satisfactory style pipes, but that’s just me.

Without knowledge of how the servers calculate things, I don’t think automation would cause too much more work than machines do now, but if I was designing it, I would require fuel to pump items through pipes and then limit the amount of fuel allowed. Alternatively, limit the number of machines in a chain.

1 Like

I think “Voxel Games” is way too vague and describes things that are pretty diverse… The main reason I’m so drawn to this game is because of Everquest Next: Landmark getting tossed away when Everquest Next was abandoned. That game was absolutely stunning and the building in that couldn’t really be compared to Minecraft or even Boundless because the voxels in it were able to be sized down even farther than what you can do with chisels.

That being said, Boundless is the closest game I’ve seen to EQN:L to date so I hope it never dies :slight_smile:

This was what I was working on before EQN:L died - it’s the front door of the Palace of Versailles (still can’t believe this was in alpha testing… Unreal how beautiful that game was).

1 Like

never played minecraft but would luv something along the line that Terraria has…had great fun with that system.
Have no expectations of anything like this happening (would love to be proved wrong!) expect maybe starting as a local universe modding project, which could then be used by others and maybe eventually elements being bought into the main mmo universe.

@Ryokishine it was a genuine question, albeit with a sarcastic tone. Thanks!

EQN:L dead? Oh, gosh.

i just hope we get something kinda like redstone, not to the extream where u can make unlimited loops that can cause massive lag, but would love to be able to build things like hidden stairways and lava blocked gates that with a press of a button clears the way someday, one of my favourite thing in minecraft was making obstacle courses with buttons and hidden traps for my friends to beat. Or with the press of a button have the ground open up and a staircase form for a vault.

Not sure we will get anything quite like this in this game, it would have to be limited for the mmo, as redstone/automated things could get out of control on minecraft.

I’d like to see a mechanic to auto empty machines and auto repair

I would say that it’s probably not sarcasm. Quite a few people who play Boundless have never played Minecraft.
I played Boundless for 18 months before I bought minecraft out of curiousity.

Was just playing it safe, it’s the internet after all :stuck_out_tongue: - Glad we’re all on the same page :slight_smile:

I had just bought it right before EQN right before it died. :frowning: It looked like so much fun.) I went to a convention where the dev’s were talking about it and how it was originally just a program to create new buildings and things for EQN but they all enjoyed using it so much they decided to make it into a separate game.

Speaking of EQ, I enjoyed EQ2’s dungeon creating system but people abused that and last I checked it is dead. You could still make a dungeon but there was no exp gain for running through it so what would be the point?

I’d argue it would need a better new-player flow and possibly better incentives to keep playing, if the grind feels demoralizing to newcomers.

A better planet-wide chat system may help? Or some better way for new players to ask for guidance, at least.

I know a “Typing” indicator overhead would be very useful, at least to me.

RIP. You too huh?
Yeah, the whole everquest next: pathfinder or stuff really fell rather short in the end. A pity, to be honest.

1 Like

OMG NO !!! NO AUTOMATONS, I LEFT MINECRAFT DUE TO REDSTONES, IM NOT ENGINEER AND WORKING WITH LOGIC GATES WERE BLACK MAGIC FOR ME unless it will be fully automated like in SATISFACTORY :slight_smile:

2 Likes