This Game Needs Automation to Compete w/ Minecraft

I would like some automation of moving things via pipes like this mod:

Or a more compact storage system like this mod that uses disks for storage:

2 Likes

sorry but, if you want automation - then play minecraft, boundless don´t need it

2 Likes

I’d say that’s a matter of opinion really. For me personally, I have 4200 plots worth of a color storage and presently I think I have about 500 gleam chests full of items that need to go into that storage if you would like to come sort all of that for me @Balkinus feel free.

The point being, if I had some way to auto sort these chests into my storage it would be great. Do I need it? No, would it be a lot more convenient to place an item into a drop chest and have it automatically be placed in the storage in the correct storage area? Yup totally.

If I want automation, I do play Minecraft and Satisfactory and about 5-6 other games that have it, but for Boundless it would just be a quality of life addition. If automation was a part of the game, you wouldn’t have to use it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Boundless is courageously the better minecraft if only because of chiseling and then graphic character etc. Boundless is even more possible and feasible.

4 Likes

I’ve been playing boundless for 3 years or more than 3 and I’m by no means bored until now I don’t want to know my playing hours at all :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Adding automation will attract more players to boundless for sure! Does it need to be used by every player NO.

Add the option for players to alter the settings or not- the more flexible and diverse the wider the player base will become long term. As @Redlotus said moving hundreds of chests and sorting is not fun- and not something I enjoy either - I’d rather spend my time working out the logic behind a build that pushes the complex limit to its max to then reap the benefits of the optimised build/ storage layout than to get RSI from clicking 2 million times to move blocks.

2 Likes

boundless for sure needs an improvement in the ‘things to to do’ department. the most obvious to me is minigames - taking advantage of it being mmo and the amazing building syste,m with addition of some very simple and doable things like special becaon settings (no grapple, skill override…), simple switches, pressure plates, 1 way doors, traps, item dispensers (1 reward per player)… etc. i think it would be very much in spirit of the game if we had more things to do at someone else’s place other than shop and look at it. with the current limited options we made dodge bombs and reaper trials, adding only a few minigame mechanics could be the gamechanger that could advance boundless to another level.
of course some automation would be great, but mainly focused on inventory management ( sorting pipes, item filters, golems… ) crafting isn’t deep enought to need more automation that a queue, imo.

5 Likes

Would i like some form of automation sure…
Not sure if redstone is the way though….

As redstond basically are “enteties” (to make it simple)
Let a creeper blow up 6-8 double chests full of cobblestone, while below you have a mega auto farm/furnace/sorting machine. Before boundless this happend at some point to me in my world… and it saved…. I was Fed… Minecraft crashend every time i started up that world…

Boundless…. On antar after we got liquid update….
I broke 10 stands full of water it thook 30 minutes before i could move again even anyone that came close to anterra (center) froze during that time….

So to be fair unless this doesn’t happen on a greater scale anymore to add all those active “enteties” to boundless won’t be a good idea. Especially if we get more people that will probably make use of this “redstone”.

2 Likes

Hope i make sense

2 Likes

I think when someone thinks of Minecraft they never consider modded. Many people do not understand how much more advanced modded Minecraft is than almost any crafting game out there.

I only want to automate my ability to sort my storage/inventory in my base. I literally have spent 5 months on my color storage and now to sort it will take me another crazy amount of time.

I will state again, Boundless doesn’t need a single update for me to enjoy the game. I do not need automation, I don’t need crafting timers adjusted, the only thing I really need or want is more people playing the game and I have discussed this with a few of you from time to time including most recently with @Dwarftree

All that said, I do feel the New Player Experience is the single most important thing that should be tackled by the new team other than that, I’m good to play Boundless for quite some time.

Yea I wasn’t able to wrap my head around redstone but AE SIGN ME UP.

I had a massive storage in the FTB server I was in years ago. Walk in from an adventure, dump in a box worry not of sorting cause the system did it for me

2 Likes

Give us the tools to step towards automation, but actually fully automatic stuff like farms would ruin the game. But semi automation would be great. But just adding an ‘automatic machine’ would be a missed opportunity. So yes, give us the tools to create our own automated creations :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Applied Energistics just saved all your items on “disks” you could carry those disks with you and move them etc. So no items breaking spilling on the ground like with Minecraft. It literally could make a 4000 plot color storage and turn into a much smaller footprint. It could take less than one plot as it took just a few blocks in order to store several million items. Heck I could hand you all my disks and we wouldn’t have to spend hours or days transferring things back and forth. Lots of options.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Also, not everyone has to use that storage system as some people love to just build large storages and there is nothing wrong with either approach.

Agree fully here. I don’t want to automate everything I just want a better way to sort inventory and manage storage.

It would be interesting to see how they would implement the various suggested types of automation and if the automation needs to run on the server so that any player in the vicinity of the specific automation sees the same result.

My only concern would be if the automation needed to run on the server, what effect this could have on all players on a given planer if a large number of players were running automation at the same time. A specific example could be running automation to take items from storage and crafting them into other items, storing those and then using those to craft more items. Given the extensive crafting areas some players already have if crafting was automated, would it negatively affect the servers performance and therefore all players on the planet? I guess only the developers know how something like this could be coded and possibly the concerns are unfounded.

3 Likes

I do not want to automate crafting, but I do see the appeal there. If you want to get a little technical, I don’t think from a business standpoint that a small footprint for a storage is ideal as it would make it so players would not need as many plots to build with. Thus requiring less grinding or playing the game to gain more levels for cubits to purchase plots with and less P2W in buying plots.

So, if you were to ask me as a player, I love the idea. It would allow me to put my plots more in the direction of an actual build that I want to build versus one I need to build out of necessity for storage purposes. Granted, I do not have to build a large storage, it could just be several plots with a bunch of chests in it.

If we get that hopefully you left room for pipes in your massive storage room

1 Like

Its all water underneath it :stuck_out_tongue: so it could happen.

I am not worried about all automation necessarily, just automation that could negatively affect server/planet performance even for those players not interacting with the automation. And as I said, my concerns could be unfounded, but only the developers will know for certain.

I am not sure why automation would lead to smaller storage or maybe you are commenting specifically on the Applied Energistics discs. My question on this would be how do you access it within the existing Boundless environment? Does it act like a reclaim? Do you have to place it in some kind of device in order to access it, or is it really just an oversized backpack you can access whenever and wherever you like as long as you have it with you?

Applied energetics and thermal expansion are two amazing additions for the other game and some sort of similar adaptation to boundless would just be amazing and if it destroyed the “economy” well we don’t really need the economy in boundless for it to still be a great game. Plus it would never really go away. I’ve played plenty of technic servers with shop stands in Minecraft and there was still very much a bustling economy. As well as a larger player base on a single server. :man_shrugging: but anyways doesn’t really matter what I wrote there let’s just hope around Christmas :christmas_tree: 2023 will be boundlessly amazing.

If automation would be a thing, I hope goes along the line of this. It will be balanced as well since it will require coin as salary of the laborer. Only those who can afford it can automate and will not be that efficient. Some sort of end game tier for crafters/farmers/hunters/etc. Maybe you could hire someone to carry your extra stuffs during hunts or mining. Imagine having a sidekick. :rofl: