This is no longer fun

i believe Solum and Munteen have the best iron deposits for some reason. but yes, i agree with you. iron and copper should be rebalanced, especially on home worlds

2 Likes

I wonder if it would be worth introducing some sort of ore radar at higher skill levels (hot/cold style probably)

1 Like

and at higher levels of upgrading you can maybe customise it. hot/cold for IRON, but who cares about fossils.

at a lower level it can be sensed to ores, tech/fossils/coal, and it cant sense gems.

higher level, can sense gems.

higher level, can single out tech/fossils/coal for inclusion or exclusion,

higher level, can single out copper/iron/silver/gold/titanium for inclusion or exclusion,

higher level, specific gems.

but never make the resources glow, or give a direct “turn left 47 degrees and walk 5 blocks forward” way of finding it. i like the hot/cold, helps you find it, but doesn’t point you right to it.

1 Like

Sorry to hear your taking a break. Hopefully they fix the iron distribution in a future release. It can be very frustrating for new players to be held back by something like this. There are plenty of helpful people in this game that will be willing to help you out so you can continue creating your videos if you willing to accept someone giving you some iron. It’s nice having more content creators making Boundless videos because it helps spread the word about this awesome game.

3 Likes

I could not agree with TwistedFoot more! I finally decided to purchase the game (after watching its progress for over a year) after watching your videos over the weekend.

1 Like

We’ll get an audit of the world resources shared this week. I’m also interested to know exactly how many resources we have per world now. It’s possible that something didn’t work as expected in the recent update.

The general idea is:

• The game should explain to players where to find the basic resources on the spawn worlds. Players shouldn’t struggle to find them assuming they follow the instructions. We need to help new players get going.
  • The resources are distributed asymmetrically. Different resources will spawn at different rates per biome. This is to encourage players to explore their home world.
  • Some resources will be deep underground, some will be deep in mountains.
  • The resources vary per world, with harder worlds having more abundant rarer resources. This gives players a reason to go to other worlds.
  • The game will not explain where to find resources on the harder worlds to give more experienced players a challenge and some value to the knowledge.
14 Likes

Ok I am going to make one more attempt. I’ll mine out a mountain to see what happens. Wish me luck.

Thanks all, this community is really rare with all the help.

14 Likes

I used to have the same problem as you but I was told to mine at altitude 60-80 directly under mountains. I’ve found alot of iron ore this way on Therka :slight_smile:

but as written above, iron ore seems to be quite rare compared to all other ores. Iron ore is also needed in the beginning of the game so it can get quite frustrating when you get stuck with copper tools.

I agree. Even mining on higher level planets I get more copper than iron. Iron seams are only 4-5 pcs as opposed to copper seams that are 10-15 pcs

Iron seams are between 1-19 as far as i’ve seen and the lower number (anything below 10) is usually in a region that has alot of dirt / sand so the iron generation gets stopped by that

I’ve never found iron that low. Thought that was too low for iron? I didn’t know that sand and dirt stopped iron generation.

Thanks

Let me correct it abit, the veins them selves are 1-19 pieces of iron depending.
The general height is 40y-90y with the most of the iron being between 60y-80y

2 Likes

I am in the same position most are who were playing before the redistributing update. I had plenty of iron in stock but I am also down to copper tools again because I gave up the search for iron.

My way of finding iron has been to look for mountains and cliffs that go down to water level, and check out underwater areas which have rock directly exposed. Try worlds like Septerfon and Epsilo too, they have a lot of ocean and tall cliffs as well. Randomly exploring cave systems seems to be a waste of time for iron (and copper too)

That is a viable option on Solum so far (high up caves) but on therka it’s pretty much dig into mountains thats the best

My derp for the day

1 Like

As promised I’ve shared some raw resource details in this devlog post.

8 Likes

Thanks I’ll take a look

As mentioned before, I concur that Solum is a decent place for iron. I visited 3 caves (randomly), and was able to walk away with about 45 iron. Be prepared to grapple alot. Said caves were under HUGE ice mountains. Aside from the 45 iron I walked away from, I have a few hundred pieces of coal, copper, and silver. Also, manage to accumulate about 15 or so pieces of Ancient Tech Fragment; and the super bonus 1 Ancient Tech Component. I did not have to dig through any mountain to get all of it. They were all surface veins in the caves that you can see, and you just have to dig to get it. That session took a few hours, but I was going at it slow because of all the lag I was getting. Having said that, I found it easier to find Copper, Silver, and Gold than Iron.

And, I am going to add another comment here; and I mean no offense to any of the players, just expressing my thoughts and my feelings about the rarity of iron, fragments and components. Your builds are breathtakingly beautiful, by the way. With that out of the way, every time I walk through a player owned tunnel in the mountain, I see some Ancient Tech Fragments, Ancient Tech Components, and Iron sealed away; I can’t help but think what a waste.

1 Like