Thoughts on Local Universes

I did not test any planting, buy I am pretty sure you can adjust all of those timers for your local universe.

Well, there you have it, shorter crafting and growing times …
… people were asking for. :wink:

I personally dislike the thought of local universes as they will totally remove what made me love Boundless and stick around as long as I have and that is the community. Take our debatable size of players and make that zero or the number of you friends that play with you and there you have it.

It would feel much like going to a football game or concert and sitting in a large stadium made for 50,000 people and only have 10 people there.

It would be fun to tweak things for a few, but tweaking things too much or having access to every block on 3 planets just makes it creative in my eyes.

However, if you could connect many servers together that may be great.

3 Likes

I like them and think they will be helpful thing overall for the game. I’m not happy they went with another menu system over a portal system (like we have for creative) which I really pushed for… I think it was dev time that ended up causing it to not happen… I fear that without portals we will get more segmentation to local universes where people just don’t visit the main Universe.

The key thing is to allow people to explore and have easy access to see the beauty that is Boundless. Anything that add friction to that exploring is bad in my view.

Either way at this point I think local universe and self hosting was just a natural evolution of the game especially as things played out like they did with the game and its retention. Maybe if we have a super vibrant online experience I’d say local shouldn’t happen… but with how we are I am ok with anything to keep it alive.

1 Like

I’m curious as to how. The interface is not exactly user friendly…

Not sure, I only played with some of the settings like the forge. I know many of the “settings” menu screens are empty. Not sure if they just have not been added yet or if it will be up to the player to create them. It might also be adjustable via the LUA window.

I thought someone was playing with crop speeds when local universes first came to testing, but I could not find it searching the forums.

1 Like

Possibly this thread?

Just out of interest which menu screens were you talking about?

1 Like

Exactly my point here … might as well just play in creative at this point. 5 minutes for goo to grow full …sigh.

In the debug menu, settings folder. Many have sliders that can be adjusted but some of them are just blank windows. Currently not in game but will grab a screenshot after I eat lunch.

In this area of debug

Many of them have sliders, like the ForgeSettings for example

But many of them are just blank windows, DoorSettings is one of them thats empty but there are several others.

2 Likes

The thread that @willcrutchley posted is the one I was thinking of, and looking through it and digging in the game folders, I think those adjustments may be made in the crops.msgpack file which may make it more difficult to adjust since they are packed. Looking inside them it also appears that each crop has a separate growth timer “matureTime”.

I think it’s probably a good thing, even though I’ll be sticking to the MMO universe.

Personally, I play almost exclusively on PlayStation and I’m not interested in a local universe. If I wanted to have a focused place to play with friends I could just use a private planet. But I’m happy playing within the universe, I like encountering people.

1 Like

You don’t have to make those changes though. It can be left as-is … or even made more challenging if you really wanted to.

3 Likes

Just tested this out myself, and it is quite fast. It does go through “steps” though so its just the time between steps that is significantly reduced it seems. I am wondering if they set it that way for testing purposes and when this goes live if they will have it back to the default of the live universe and then you have to adjust it.

2 Likes

:rofl: Ohh Aenea…

EDIT:

I believe that video was from actually the prior “creative planets” when it was a local server. If I remember the discussions correctly those JSON files can be edited but they’re server side effects so it will mostly just mess with the client (create sync errors with the server).

I know that the kindling was done with a lua script, as well as a couple of other things. there’s also a vid of removing the delay on returning to sanctum.

3 Likes

If you have a local server, when you edit those it affects the local server so no issues from the few tests I have done.

4 Likes

Seeing this makes me miss @AeneaGames :sob:

1 Like

Ah gotcha.

Should be a correspondence between each of these and the files in assets/archetypes, so I guess maybe non-numerical config stuff can only be edited in the files themselves :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I could, but prefer things as they were intended and in the MMO universe which is what brought and kept me here.

Well, I think I found the crop speed adjustment quite by accident, and it appears that is probably just set like that for testing purposes. If you have the urge to put it back, changing the CropFastForward from 200 (that’s what it was when I opened the config.json file at the below location) to 0 appears to return it to normal.

Edit: it might also be located here

2 Likes