To wipe or not to wipe

I did this recently and I think that everyone should do this.

@Nightstar Nothing wrong with leaving vast tracts of unclaimed land for the new players to claim.

2 Likes

lolā€¦ well somehow I still ended up keeping many because of future ideasā€¦ but I was surprised how many I did let go all over the place because either the towns were gone or I had consolidated my ideas into more central locations.

But I know it is easier to point fingers or make excuses about how it affects the game than do the work and realistic beacon management. As for that player retentionā€¦ yeah Iā€™ve always wondered how a partial build in a dead town for a player that certainly doesnā€™t want it is ā€œhelping retention.ā€

In the ]i[ guild area there is are 2 areas with one having 2 plots and another a line of 4 plots. I know darn well those people arenā€™t going to use the beacons and are very likely very active players because theyā€™ve been there for years now yet they still exist. That means people are just being lazy and not clearing out unused beacons. The first one has been there within a few weeks of release because we were the first people on Biitula and had the first beacons in this area and I secured the area but someone grabbed a small plot on the side and it is still there with no change. Obviously that isnā€™t a huge area people can build on if they released it but it still shows that a lot of people (that are active) do not go through beacon lists to clean them outā€¦

2 Likes

I did this recently as well allowed gleam club to expire, allowed everything to expire. Well, except two mall shops I keep forgetting. Theyā€™re probably not in anyoneā€™s way :rofl:

Yeah I can see how some people would miss the humor but the sheer amount of time and effort expended on ā€œpreservingā€ abandoned stuff and ā€œprotectingā€ a planet that self-regenerates in a couple of hours in this game has been pretty phenomenal.

And still honestly I think that almost every side of every major game mechanic has been presented as ā€œharming retentionā€ by someone or another.

Itā€™s sometimes hard to remember that a community is so many individual voices, because the whole thing starts to seem a little schizo.

4 Likes

It is not the plots that are around a build for a buffer it is mostly the massive plots with nothing around them. I ran into an area that I could only assume was planned to be a city or mall or something as it was a ton of flat land of around 1k plots. It has been there since I started.

On an aside, I also found reclaimed a few spots I had, one being on Serp that I had plans for but have since moved to my Sovereign. Itā€™s not much but I much prefer it go to someone that will do something with it.

2 Likes

Even trying to dig for an actual quote to drive home how long this has been a point is frustrating in the amounts of drama this brings up.

You very well may be frustrated over ā€œlandā€ that was plotted years before you started playing with no other purpose than to stop you from building on it.

@BabyCookie is not the only person here who dropped a few years of gleam club early in their gameplay. And there have been at least two actual ā€œconservationistā€ type guilds who put on different rhetoric but definitely spent their game time finding and plotting interesting spots to ā€œpreserveā€ them.

As well as some particularly dedicated individuals.

I donā€™t know the spot youā€™re talking about but all of these things exist. It may or may not have been ā€œthe middle of nowhereā€ when those plots were placed. Itā€™s possible youā€™re still taking grief someone was throwing at iLegend if youā€™re talking about Tana.

End of the day itā€™s an emotional issue and itā€™s going to come up in any environment that hits a couple of the same key points as boundless. You can either plot what you see, or you have to come up with some way to have a system that enforces something like, what, a community vote and endorsement/license to plot in a given area, with monitors to ensure that you conform to the required activity levels or relinquish control of the space to someone more worthy?

How simple is that?

4 Likes

Tbh I seriously donā€™t get why people are obsessed with doing a wipe itā€™s never gonna happen. It would cause a lot of people to leave the game. The massive amount of grind you gonna do in the game is a lot of hard work to do and just for people suggesting or wanting a wipe is insane like heckā€™s no I donā€™t want a wipe took so long to get where I am in the game to just be wipe.

3 Likes

Iā€™m past the whole wipe conversation I donā€™t think a full wipe is something anyone truly wants or something that will ever happen.

My point of view is simple dead areas out in the middle of nowhere plotted with 1000s of plots having never changed for a year are just plain selfish. When all I want is areas for new players.

Iā€™d be happy to see this closed.

Iā€™m just surprised this thread is still going. :eyes:

3 Likes

Lol itā€™s crazy right ā€¦ time to close I guess :cry:
@majorvex can you please close this amazing feed :heart:- thanks for everyoneā€™s votes :blush:

4 Likes

Closed at OPā€™s request.