Top relatively-easy to implement QoL changes

Also, how about :

• [PC only] a local file you can edit to add musics to the rotation of the game and attach them to some existing situations, which would only play mp3 files added to the game’s “Original Soundtrack” folder.

You could say “but why don’t you play the musics yourself with VLC/Mediaplayer/ITunes?” and I’d say “it’s far more satisfaying when it’s randomly picked and still fits a situation”.

I still remember, back in the days of World of Warcraft : Burning Crusade, I had an addon called “Soundtracks” which did just what I described here, and I spent a long time actually re-working what music plays in which zones, to have my own playlist fit how each zone made me feel.
13 years later, I still have a Neverwinter Nights music of which I renamed the file “Hillsbrad Foothills” in my playlist :

That was SO satisfying to play the game like normal and be greeted by different musics than the ones the game normally offers.

1 Like

That doesn’t sound easy to implement…

Please try to keep to “quick” ideas for this thread. You are more than welcome to make a fresh thread.

Weeeeeeell, depends. From what James said, they already have a very detailed rotation music playlist with a lot of events assigned to specific musics that (I’m guessing) are located in the “steamapps\common\Boundless\Original Soundtrack” folder.

I don’t remember where (might’ve been a thread where someone was saying the musics were getting old, or where someone wondered how they worked), but James once described the full list of how many musics from the list play depending of which event.

I would imagine that it wouldn’t be too complicated to allow us to have a permanent file that would override/add to the normal file the game uses.
I don’t think it would be much harder than half of the other suggestion in the list above. :wink:

2 Likes

:rofl: Might be an easier QoL fix than about half of the ones on your list!

Let’s ditch the easy and under one hour stuff and just make this a “Top requested QoL changes” thread instead??

And you know why I want to have that removed since none of us non Boundless devs can have any idea how much time something can take (not without looking at the source code)

3 Likes

I would like a tools section under inventory.

1 Like

Agreed. At the end of the day, it does the thread a disservice by assuming that we know exactly what is and isn’t easy to implement. Now some things, we can guess pretty easily that it’s easy to do. But it’s still an assumption.
And you know the saying, when you assume, it makes an @$$ of u and me.

1 Like

Please be respectful and make your own thread for that if you want. Thank you.

You may be correct, but this line of discussion is nonetheless off topic.

Let’s stay on topic please. Thank you.

Oh come on DK, that’s nonsense and you know it. You added some nonsensical claims that these things can be implemented quick and easy, most under one hour you claimed in the OP while none of us can have any idea whatsoever how long such things would take to implement. You are not willing to change that and are now using it to be unrespectful and dismiss QoL suggestions from some people because they aren’t quick and easy!

Makes no sense to me.

Be respectful of this entire community and most of all, of the devs, thank you!

1 Like

It’s ok.

It’s his thread. We can make a different thread where the OP actually lists all the suggestions (not only from this thread, but from the entire forum) he/she likes and thinks are doable without assuming how long they take, with more information in ‘collapsed detail’ section, with links to the original threads, to make some kind of compilation, which was in a way what this thread was doing.

I might do that later if DK doesn’t feel like changing this thread. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hey!
Have you ever read this https://forum.playboundless.com/guidelines

Have there been issues like that in this thread already then?

Is it about the “Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics” bullet-point?
Cause if that’s an offense that should be taken seriously, I freaking deserve a permanent ban at this point. Over the course of the past year, I’ve repeated and linked to a lot of suggestions I’ve posted and re-worded them in other posts to make a point, etc. :rofl:

I would guess he means this one

• Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream

Also as to disrespecting the devs: James himself liked the OP yesterday. I agree James and the devs aren’t always the best at communication, but if that’s his way of saying he found the OP disrespectful, that would be weird.

1. the topic won’t change midstream if you remove all the ‘easy’ references and ‘under one hour’ bits since most, if not all, do not fall into that category
  2. the devs can like the list of suggestions without agreeing to it being easy
  3. I was of course exaggerating to make a point, I also was not trying to be disrespectful towards you, I even give likes as well in this thread to yours and other people’s ideas :wink:

But let’s not derail this thread further!

1 Like

I think the rule thing is actually trying to say “don’t derail the conversation” instead of “don’t re-write the original post mid-conversation”.

1 Like

Soo on the actual topic, one of the biggest QoL things I’d like is a mode where smart stacks are only formed out of identical items, to stop different orbs from merging, colored blocks from mixing etc.

5 Likes

The first simple fix I’d like to see is being able to right click and select a certain amount from a stack when there is already a tooltip open on the item. As it stands you have to click somewhere else to get rid of the tooltip then do the splitting, something that never fails to frustrate me.

Another idea is being able to use the mouse to change the location of the text input cursor in signs and the search bar.

Also a position or altitude display option on the HUD.

Finally, as others have mentioned, the ability to queue multiple jobs without spamming the button.

Putting this here again even though it has been suggested all over the forum and in different topics so that the devs notice it :smiley: xD.

1 Like