Torch Timer

So I just woke up and had this insane idea that it would be cool if torches go out after 20 minutes or so in the game.
Because torches wouldn’t be infinite IRL, and it would add a bit of survival-ey gameplay once the game gets creatures/mobs. You could obviously re-light them, but imagine having explored a huge cave and trying to get out and it has gone dark again. You still have infinite blocks of light (gleam, etc.) if need be.

What do you think? Would this be pointless, just silly, or kind of cool?

5 Likes

I like it!
If they truly want to have infinite MC like torches as well we could have a Shard torch that uses magic OORT shards to stay lit :smile:

3 Likes

The idea is cool but how frustrating don’t you think it would be to replace all torches in your castle with regular intervals?

1 Like

It would be a massive pain to deal with, it was suggested before i will just stick to the same argument, people like having big builds with torches and stuff, if they went out after 20 mins you could barely turn them all back on before they started going on again. such a freaking bother.

but if we could make eternally burning torches which are a bit harder to make and then have the easy torches who will light up for 5 mins before being destroyed permanently when you are carrying or placing it i would be fine with it, but for buildings there should be an option to have eternal torches.

but i think you should either have both or only eternally burning torch, not the middleground that you can turn on again.

4 Likes

Good point! I hadn’t thought of torches as decoration. I like @b00n 's suggestion of infinite torches as a more expensive recipe.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure! You bring a good point.

So split the torches into cheap exploration torches and more expensive permanent torches right?

3 Likes

Sounds cool to me!

I do like the idea of torches getting used up. It is a very good idea. It also makes sense to have a different wall-light recipe for homes and stuff. Plus having lots of torches adds a lot of lag to scenes.

1 Like

Maybe when the torch burns itself out, the entire block disappears instead of just burning out.

2 Likes

Yeah I was just thinking that we’d have a lot of torch waste, BUT then I thought itd be cool if they just smouldered softly after theyve gone out…

1 Like

How about regular torches burn for 30 minutes, then they smolder giving off a faint red light for 30 mins. During the smoldering time the torch may be re-lit using maybe moss or something. After the smolder timer expires they vanish, leaving nothing behind.

5 Likes

Maybe making it so torches inside a beacon will last forever?

6 Likes

That would make it so that there aren’t infinite torch particles in the world, which would probably help with fps and such. Maybe dead torches turn to sticks?

1 Like

i would like the ability to place torches that lasts forever even outside beacons, like leaving a trail through a cave.

also not everything people will build can be within a beacon. if they have to make torches burn down then they also need torches which doesnt.

3 Likes

Weird. We were talking about this earlier. Allowing cheap tempoary torches and more expensive permanent torches.

6 Likes

We’re telepathically connected!

3 Likes

We have hacked into your minds so we can get regular input and idea. (This make a lot of sense, yes)

3 Likes

Torches that burn in 20 mins. Then a lantern that’s an upgraded torch that burns for several hours. Then finally a super lantern / light block that requires some high tier materials but will last forever. What do you guys think?

1 Like

I really like that idea! As long as the initial torches were easy to make or cheap to make and the infinity torches were rare or expensive~! (Though I think that’s already been suggested/thought out?!) :yum: