Township Project

Agreed. 7 was a limited based on a past GUI design - seems a bit silly to me. I’m pretty confident the future cap will be much higher.

1 Like

I’d love to join. If possible miner is my choice of role.

Hey guys, firstly thanks so much for contributing to this project the last few days! It’s been really exciting getting to work with the community again, and I’ve taken away a lot of valuable information from this experiment. We’ve learned from a few mistakes, discovered some best practices, and gotten a loose grasp on how to best manage resources shared among many players at once. Over all, I call that a resounding success!

That being said, I’m going to have to shelve this project until Tuesday. On Tuesday, I will be scouting out an entirely new location on a new world to start from the beginning. Primarily, I want to test some of the things we learned. Also, this will be started on the LIVE worlds, not the test worlds. We will see how this develops at something of an accelerated rate.

5 Likes

I’ll most likely join that new settlement too. Probably as a Hunter^^

I agree that there was a lot learned on this project. I feel like as always, there should be a lot more structure and communication with how things are going to be set up. One of the issues I ran into was that I was not able to access the workshop, and even worse the smith was not logged in. Now as a miner, following the township project, I should readily have tools at my dispense to do my job. I was forced to build my own workshop to make the tools I need to work. Now there is not a problem with how I handled things as I believe, even in the township project, you are allowed individual freedom in your gameplay, but that somewhat counters the idea of a community where you rely on other members to provide you with tools or crafted materials you need to do your job. Feedback from other people would be nice to find out a system that everyone agrees with. I will formulate my own ideas and will create a separate post for some of my thoughts/implementation.

The issue that I kept running into with the smith was a lack of materials needed to keep tools on the shelf. Specifically, there was never enough rock on hand to convert into stone for stone hammers, and absolutely zero fossils to make into metal tools. Meanwhile, I was flooded with copper ore and iron, but without enough coal to turn it into ingots. It was not until I had instructed miners to change their priorities (Fossils> coal> iron) that I was able to make enough tools to keep up with demand.

Additionally, it seemed at least one villager was pilfering raw materials and tools for their own purposes and not contributing any raw resources in return. That effectively drained the available resources for supplying the gatherers. I never did find out who, but I will be more selective of villagers in the next attempt. This is the main reason I kept the machine shop locked! It would be impossible to maintain supply if the machines kept getting raided.

I will be changing the way the drop off and pick up shelves works. Rather than using shelves to drop product off, there will be “BUY” plinths (blue) to buy the raw materials from the gatherers at 0 coin. That way, the raw resource shelves do not get flooded with unwanted items like flowers or leaves, and then only the smiths can pull resources from them. (I have not tried setting up a plinth at 0 coin, so if it is impossible, then it will be 1 coin each)
I’d like to try to keep tools on locked shelves to keep non-villagers from raiding the supply, but I may have to figure a way out to keep coins balanced for the smith. I don’t want to have to work on a balanced economy at this stage as well as everything else, so we will see.

@James I have a few ideas of how to make collaborative efforts like this more manageable from a game design standpoint.

1. A log book that could be attached to shelves or machines, much like a lock. This would record and timestamp who deposited or withdrew items from what ever they are attached to.
  2. Permissions per beacon such as plinth access, shelf access, machine access, and door access.
  3. Signs. Everything would be easier with signs. Are These still in development?
4 Likes

Hate to be the one to tell you this but 0 buy plinths don’t work. I tried it and it sets it to 1 even though you select 0. I believe this is because of the 10% tax on buying and selling plinths, however 10% on 0 is 0 so I don’t get whats up @olliepurkiss

This is really helpful info guys. I’m really keen to have people enjoy collaborating like this, and any feedback you can give is very valuable.

1. That’s a very nice idea, although I worry it might be too much data to log every transaction on every plinth in that way. I’ll talk to the coders after Christmas about the feasibility.
  2. Further work on the permissions for beacon is definitely in the pipeline. There was another thread about it I believe.
  3. The signs are also in the pipeline. I’m keen to get them in sooner rather than later, but we’re yet to finalise the next set of work. Watch this space.

We’ve just tested buying and selling plinths with zero amounts and they work for us. Can you give me more details, including the location of a plinth that isn’t working and we’ll take a look.

5 Likes

Do have any plans to initiate the Township Project again? Been looking forward to it!

As a matter o’ fact, yes. I just set up a location on Berlyn but I have not had time to set up any community features just yet. Watch the discord for details.

Is this project still going on ?

Hey, if this project is still happening then you can count me in. I’m a bit late but my most favourite thing in Boundless is building and crafting materials and items. And I like trading, looking for materials on the surface and sometimes hunting creatures. The search for gold, silver and titanium (which I have never found) aren’t that what I would like to do all day.

So I would like to participate as Smith or Builder (or both) with part-time task to look for fibrous leaves and creatures. :smiley:

1 Like

I think @Havok40k is having computer issues and is unable to play. I think the biggest group of people working together contains @KKBell @Scavenger @itsthat1dude @Pois0n(I might be missing some other people, sorry)
I plan on heading to their build today.

3 Likes

Nope, you got everyone. I’ll be on shortly, and anyone else is welcome to join us as well!

2 Likes

Yep, I finally gave up trying to fix my computer myself and sent it in to a professional to repair. I should be online again next week.

3 Likes

So this is like a guild. What world is it on? I might be interested.

I’d love to join sign me up as a builder.

:slight_smile:

Hey guys, if you are or have been involved in this township project, I’d like your help in revitalizing this project! While the project has suffered some setbacks and was even (nearly!) completely abandoned for a while, the portal hub has returned a spark of life to this town. So, with that in mind, let’s make this township thriving again! I have some ideas on how to do this that I would love to discuss with plot holders in this area. I think some of these ideas are pretty innovative and will help our town grow, but i don’t want to publicly discuss them until after we have had a chance to implement them, so I will be summoning plot holders , @NicoDeMagio @onebitknightly @cerule @Drichter @UmbraVictus @DGOhawk @Big-boy @DarthNott @dannypent @Miige to a closed group message to discuss some secret details. Everybody else, I’d like to personally invite you to join us, if you would like, in revitalizing this lovely town! There are pleanty of empty plots in the area to set up your shops now before the competition moves in, and we would appreciate any material donations or sales you could make to us!

Also, @P0L4RB34R, @GenocideAngel @ebony-jenkins (because of 10 “@mention” limit)

I have been testing my hands on a city project (Pixel Gate) and I very much enjoy it, but it’s a work between two persons (Karokendo and me) I would be very happy to provide you guys with materials and set up a little shop, and tryout different ideas for the large communities until guide system comes in or until 1.0 hits.

I enjoy big community projects, as they develop into ideas and things some may not imagine while solo. Would like to contribute with plots and construction, but we’ll see about that, as currently I have my hands occupied with Pixel Gate.

Definitive in for trying out different features in the game, as I feel like I’ve already tried my hand at statues and houses, mining, gathering and crafting, hunting and would like to try something more.

1 Like