Tree taps!

On the bright side, they could add more RNG into other things ppl want to farm hehe.

@Lukati I love the idea of growing a tree and adding a tap for sap. I also like your idea of a balance of keeping the tree alive or draining it out. I would probably have several trees growing. On top of the sap they would look good as a decoration. Great idea!

Off Topic: Actually I would love to farm beans and orbs also. Adding another way to get resources IMO is a great thing. If you don’t want to farm then you can always go back to the old way and gather them.

4 Likes

in this case we have to find a solution for oorts too one day … I hunt very rarely and this kind of resources allows me to have oorts by selling them. I already have a lot more trouble selling bark since the Kranuts and same things for exotic earthyam

Come on, really. I can see your side of things, but let’s not get carried away with 'this have been killed/ruined/gutted". It’s either not true, as the activity still exists and bears fruit, or whatever may have been gutted (grass seed harvesting killed, really?) desperately needed it. Farming oats is categorically an improved aspect over harvesting patches of grass out in the wilderness, both as a source of progression in game and for most people’s sanity out of game. I’d put digging soils for yams right up there too.

Even if they did add an idea like I’m talking about, I’d never have the expectation that such a addition could yield 20k sap an hour.

“Very strong fear they will answer the cries?” Are we still talking about Boundless? Can we just not take this so seriously? Farming has been a great addition to Boundless, and adding features to it is in everyone’s benefit. I think we can all agree that it hasn’t been perfect, RNG has taken it’s usual toll. But I’m OK with that, because I’m watching my granaries fill with flour, whereas before I used to stare at it, empty, wondering when I’d motivate myself to go cut grass for no progression, wondering how on earth that ever made sense to begin with and stood as a viable feature to pass to 1.0. Now I can’t wait to open a farmer’s market type store, where I can boast with pride that I have harmed NO wildstocks in the production of my milks! My fresh vital essence, on the other hand… but I digress.

Honestly though, I hear you. There would have to be a discussion and a clear line drawn where people would want farming to not have an impact. But for the sake of the thread and the suggestions category itself even, let’s stick to the idea, and just sap.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be opposed to this, that’d squeeze some solid progression out of foliage for a change, and give new players something to extract early on. Even if the cost is an almost unreasonable amount. You could still make the single extract cost not too much.

Beans?! Absolutely! How can we have this new chisel coming out giving us lattice work without things to grow on them. Now we have stakes for beans, latticework for whatever future additions they might conjure up for us. Give me something like grapes too, as an alternative/additive to brews. Farming was really just the tip of the iceberg, right? Kind of a farming 1.0? I’m really hoping they plan to continue adding things to it like they have with the guild buff machines.

2 Likes

Nice idea, although it hits a little close to home for some of us. If people knew how slowly the sap drips out of a spile in real life, they’d complain about the grind like there’s no tomorrow. The pros tap thousands of trees and use a vacuum system to suck it across country into a central collector, but it still just drips a drop every second or 10 on a good day. I’m talking about sugar maples here: the sap doesn’t run in other trees near that much. Don’t get me started on how much sap it takes to make syrup: it’s usually around 40:1.

Realistically, sap only runs for a few weeks out of the year just as the snow is melting. When we tap our trees the snow is usually a foot or two deep (early-mid March) and we pull the spiles when the spring peepers start calling out in the swamp but before the leaves come out on the trees (late March or early April). By that time we’re picking a lot of dead bugs and squirrels and stuff out of the buckets and the sap has gone yellow and gets a funny flavour and the taps start to callus over.

Anyway, if they had a recipe to produce a spile using a base metal bar and a bucket, and a recipe to produce a syrup blob from 40 buckets of sap, that would be cool with me.

Stop. If they flesh the farming system out even more I may just never play a different farming sim again. Coupled with the shop aspect in this game, it makes all the other farming systems meh. Where and how you sale your goods really matters. In simulators it’s usually just incremental increases over time until you’re over flowing with funds.

Good luck in this game. You have an actual economic system who’s demand that can go in to flex for months at a time. It’s pretty fun when you look at it from that perspective.

Boundless is great because of the fact it offers so many different ways to play the game. You can build. You can farm. You can run a shop. You can explore. The game literally offers a different game style to a wide spectrum of players.

1 Like

yeah @Lukati there may be some hyperbolic language there.

We do have some fundamental differences on how we see the game. I started to type up some point by point but meh, I’m tired and spent too much time at the forum already today.

I’m not interested in the farming sim. That colors my feelings on the matter, and if it would have been something new and added more actual content I could have ignored it, or enjoyed the results even - except from a consumer perspective.

I’m very upset that they instead repurposed so much other content and then went ahead and move seed yields up over 100% so that people could stay on their beacon and bottom out those particular aspects of the little economy that we have.

Basically 75% or something of my playtime now (and that’s still a lot of time) is playing an “idle clicker” game in my tree farm which, BTW I argued against earlier as well, or mining.

The rest of it is either gathering or buying the mats I need to finish mid-complexity recipes, and babysitting my crafting machines.

I adamantly do not want MORE existing content repurposed, and thus more activities removed from the scope of providing value to the multiplayer aspect of the game that’s struggling so much.

If it helps any, I realize that’as an increasingly unpopular opinion as it becomes clear that more and more of the people being active in the offline segment of the community (forums, etc…) are clearly after a solo/creative mode experience here.

Sorry if that’s not well clarified, like i said I’m getting tired and TBH the whole thing makes me, ahh, grouchy.

1 Like

Actually it wasn’t in my benefit. I had no interest or intention of farming so it actually made it harder for me to get things and also lowered the price on things I was selling significantly. But since just about everything that came with that update made the game depressing/unexciting among other words, I no longer play. I went from playing at least 3hrs a day to 20min a week just to sell things to people occasionally so if things ever change in a good way I’ll have the coin to start up again.

I can appreciate not wanting to dive deep into this, your call, but try as I might, with what I’ve been given, there are some aspects I just do not understand. Farming has added new content, and has the potential to provide even more new content, especially if steered (as much as we are able) by players in that direction, if so inclined. I don’t see how wheat, oats, and rice didn’t need a complete overhaul. Starberries fall right where sap does for me, which is high effort, low reward, which to me needs addressing. Earthyams had a plant to harvest as well as soil to find them in, and I didn’t expect them to be farmable, so there is some gray area when considering Earthyams. With all having been said, I really can’t fathom, outside of the economy, how this affects multiplayer aspects of the game. I apologize for my investigative nature, and above all just simply wish to better understand. At any rate, I can stand to not know, and will not prod further. :slight_smile:

I usually don’t; mind the conversation. It’s been a rough day and that’s nothing to do with boundless or you. I do feel passionately about boundless, it’s been a big part of the last year for me and I didn’t want to feel argumentative over a somewhat minor point due to unrelated issues.

I just swung back by the forum because a new umbris exo has popped, and I also wanted to clarify a comment i made earlier. I’ve been casually dropping some large, but rough numbers on the forum lately, like “I can push 20k sap per hour”.

Specifically, watching an old episode of Agents of Shield and looking for some soothing, low attention, repetitive action, I hit my tree farm. With two stops to free up inventory and one side trip to the sanctum I pulled 13,021 during one persisting pie, without really striving to be efficient.

That’s 289.35 per minute and that would be 17,361 per hour more precisely. Relevance?

I find this to be pretty low effort. Imean, the TV show was consuming more of my attention TBH. Those 45 minutes of partial attention are going to be moderately high reward for me, besides what I’ve found to be a calming rhythm, I fully expect to collect 52,084 coins for this. 45 minutes, at an expense of just under half a forged axe, one persisting pie, and 3 speed brews, so maybe 5500c.

More profitable than an hour of hunting, and competitive, if not surpassing an hour of non-exo mining. And that ignores 4329 bark and in the neighborhood of 30,000 trunks. Since I wasn’t fully attentive I got a few waxy earthyams and some silty soil too lol. I’ll burn the 28 - 30k trunk in my spark generators and when/if the bark sells at 4c it would bring my total up to 69,400c for the 45 minutes.

The economy is the most prominent multiplayer aspect of the game, though. Do you like to hunt? Because now I need bones and I’m not even into hunting, even if my machine would permit it with the new graphics. I don’t forge and rarely sell animal mats as it’s been a long time since I did any request basket chasing. If you don’t hunt, please accept this as an example.

Plenty of people hunt, and say it’s their favorite activity. Some of them refer to it as “the only way to make coins”. Well now I need bones and so, it’s the economy that turns our separate effort into “co-op” without us having to stress each other’s schedules, or whatever. The point being, whoever needs this sap, they’re going to need bones. Etc …

It’s hard to address “outside of the economy” but it’s not fair IMO to ignore or exclude the economy, when discussing multiplayer aspects of the game.

As I noted earlier, it’s clear we have some fundamentally different views on the game, but this should be the sort of thing that brings people together, I think, and not pushes them apart. So just as you don’t personally think that eliminating the only use for an item ‘kills a market’ I don’t really find that this activity “needs to be addressed” due to the fact that some other person considers it to be high effort, and low reward.

I mean, go do something that you find to be acceptable effort and rewarding for a while, and then lets meet up and get you some sap. Then we both should be able to walk away happier, right? I just believe that’s how this sort of thing should work. Similar to the foundation of our own society, and most virtual societies I’ve participated in.

So all right, I hope that didn’t come off too aggressive, and helps to clarify. And for anyone who thought i might be over exaggerating on the 20k number, there’s something more precise.

As for now, time to go bust some rocks. If there’s no thread yet, there’s an umbris exo, shiny and fresh.

1 Like

That’s one tall Birch…

I’d tap that.

3 Likes

come to Kindred Bay after 9pm est and we can make a little bone-sap business deal…

I’d have to agree that we see things differently. I have a friend who often watches TV when playing games. I’m one of those “can’t chew bubble gum and walk at the same time” type, which can lead into not enjoying the type of farming that you seem to enjoy. Anytime I find a game becoming enough of a chore that I find myself gravitating to fill in the gaps (watching youtube, on the phone, etc) I quickly realize that I’d rather be playing something far more engaging. I also can see how farming either way can seem like a similar experience with a different perspective on the game.

I asked how it affects other mulitplayer aspects because I felt it was obvious that something like farming would have a profound effect on the economy. I just don’t think it has an impact on the mulitplayer aspect of it. People still trade, run shops, buy and sell. In fact, prices fluctuating, and alternative means to achieve the same purpose are an inevitability in an evolving economy, as they are in every economy/society, virtual or otherwise.

To be clear, sap isn’t something I am short on. I’ve always had enough, and had no problem securing more without trading or purchasing. I agree that people coming together to fill in the blanks for one another is how it should work, just not the only way that it works, or that that way stay the unequivocal best way. Options on the table, balanced and integrated responsibly, in my mind, is almost always the best way forward.

The post didn’t come off as aggressive at all, and did help my understanding of your perspective. You’ve got apples, I’ve got oranges, and that’s OK.

6 Likes

I like oranges, they are my favorite juice, with high pulp please! :grinning: :tangerine:

I read this entire thread to reach a post 25 days later about juice and pulp. I cried a little I laughed so hard.

3 Likes

sum it up?

Where are these sap farms, I go through soooooo much and hate harvesting upright trees, I find it a chore.

The best answer for this is directions to my shop ofc :grin:

PM me when you’re online though and I’ll show you how to farm sap.

1 Like