UMG claiming soundtracks on Youtube videos

More than a year later and, well…

obraz

What a responsible dev would do is to replace the offending tracks with something that doesn’t get claimed. Either commission new tracks from artist who then won’t claim it or use various creative commons music that fits the mood of the game.

1 Like

dang, I was considering making a video on Boundless
unfortunate

1 Like

I’ll keep making them, because my channel isn’t monetized anyway and there’s a lack of YT content for the game (i WonDeR wHy???) but yeah, replacing the offending tracks is something the devs should seriously consider doing if the game is to get the popularity it deserves.

And if they decide to replace it, I really hope it’s under a “work for hire” agreement with all copyright being transferred to Wonderstruck so this won’t happen again.

The video idea was actually remixing the track Nought Fox into a certain Kurzgesagt soundtrack
so i’m not sure if it’d be allowed

Earlier info from this topic and others:
All the sounds in the game are correctly licensed, and the music was composed specifically for Boundless.
The artist isn’t the one issuing claims either.

The problem is with the company issuing claims, as James has said before these companies don’t own the IP, they shouldn’t be claiming.

In the past disputing the claims has worked for most people.

1 Like

Frankly, I don’t care about why that is. If it can be used, it shouldn’t be in the Content ID system in the first place. Deutsche Grammophon (DG) seems to be the main culprit here and they should be dealt with.

As for disputing the claims, right now my videos are “just” claimed. I don’t want to have a strike on my channel as well.

I think an issue is that almost anybody can make claims like this on YouTube. These kinds of people are known on some YouTube community circles as “copyright trolls” and such like, due to the fact that very often they don’t actually have any right to the content they’re supposedly claiming, sometimes even public domain footage or images…

From my understanding, the claimants are also who get to decide whether a dispute is accepted or not, so in many cases these trolls just outright refuse to agree with any disputes, since there’s no real consequences to them for doing so.

The claims seem to be legit though, for once. Also UMG is not really the true culprit here, it’s Deutsche Grammophon (DG), which UMG claims the videos on behalf of. I think DG needs to be served with C&D from Monumental to make those claims go away and if that won’t work, a court case needs to be done.

just a quick check on apple music regarding the boundless album:
grafik
also it’s shown like that on Peter’s own website: Boundless (Official Game Soundtrack) (2021) — Peter Gregson

So yeah, that’s probably also why Deutsche Grammophon put it into youtube’s content ID system.
Having a webpage to a statement of Peter that it’s free to use for Boundless gameplay footage might offer a solution for reoccurring cases since the automated system will continue to flag videos which contain the soundtrack.

1 Like

i use epic sound so i dont use their music due a copyright

We’re being told that you shouldn’t get hit with the DMCA any longer, if anyone gets new flags let us know please.

19 Likes

Just got some copyright claims immediately. On twitch, the music was muted and on youtube, two claims were made on Modular Modules and Orange Sky

send an email to Boundless at the support email.

Support@playboundless.com

We’re still in the process of working on this, and unfortunately, we haven’t made much progress yet. I apologize for the inconvenience, and I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to resolve it this year. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

7 Likes

That’s too bad. The music is so beautiful and without it, my videos just don’t capture the nice atmosphere of the game looking at a gorgeous lake reflecting a night sky full of stars and planets while the OST plays inspiring music. The great visuals accented by the music is what makes this game go from great to incredible.

1 Like

that why i stopped stream to youtube all due automatic copyright

1 Like

I just turn off in game music and play non-copyrighted music. Would be way better if I was able to use the Boundless music though.

Sorry you have to do this, we’re trying our best to get this settled.

3 Likes

Yeah, I stopped making videos too.

Everything or any small change seems to take forever so I gave up.

If this has no priority and they don’t see the value of people promoting the game (for free) on Youtube / Twitch then it is a missed chance to make more money for them in my book.