UnDo A Forcible Merging

Is there anyway to remove my settlement from a bigger town? I was forcibly annexed just before the update where you could opt out, and I have been trying since then to get them to release my settlement. They built a road about 15 plots away from their town just to take over mine, and I’ve contacted them several times about undoing it. After several weeks of being brushed off and ignored, I want to know what else I can do?
Thanks!

4 Likes

I believe the Dev’s mentioned submitting a ticket. (it was a while ago, I may be wrong). I think they have to go in world directly to disconnect you individually.

2 Likes

Unfortunately at this time I don’t think there’s much you can do other than creating a guild and aligning your beacons to the guild. That way you get to keep your name and mayor status of your town. But you’ll still be a part of the bigger town. This is another example of why we need an opt out option. I believe @Xaldafax was the one who first brought up trying to get that in game.

3 Likes

Really sucks that this is still a thing. Any way you can turn on plot protection then remove your connecting plots?

only would work if hes beacon is by chance older then the connecting town otherwise if the town has there’s on then he would just lose plots

Yup I pushed Settlement Opt-Out a few times and had a rough technical discussion around it. Basically it would mark your Beacon or your Guild as not be “counted” in the server settlement aggregation routine. Basically that keeps you in your own full City space with no other town owning you.

I think @James is on board but he just has not prioritized it. I need help from the community to get Mr. James Schedule to add it to the “to do list” for the next release.

I tried to bribe him with 100,000 tallow but that didn’t work. So I really just need enough people helping him understand how this will help so it can get done. so help out everyone and let’s get this one done!

10 Likes

The worst problem is it drives players away when this happens. Or at minimum drives desire to play down.

4 Likes

What planet and coordinates?? Would help people understand your situation.

As for the opt out…its a sticky situation… say I have a road… I let you connect on your own… then you build a huge settlement straddling my road on both sides like Las Vegas strip straddles the Blvd. Then you Opt Out of my town.

That’s Abuse of the system too…and MUST be addressed before.

You would go from a road (owner A) with a plot on both sides, let’s say north and south ( both owner B) all grouped together as a single settlement- which when opted out would become a road (owner A) that divides two smaller settlements, north and south, both owned by (owner B). Possibly 3 total settlements depending on the width and prestige of the road.

I dont see a problem… wait…

Ah! That’s the problem! You cant have people opting out of your town! All you own is the road, but its your town. This is exactly why people want an opt out feature. Because people value ownership over their own work.

6 Likes

I look at this way – a road is just a road and it shouldn’t even have settlement status in fact or be able to help a settlement in any fashion to connect to anything. Because a settlement is a town and each town should stay isolated.

So any person that connects to it wouldn’t join another town or yours as you mention. They would still just be in their own town. That way opt-out still works if they want to ensure they keep their own town status.

Also I don’t see how opt-out is abuse of any system. It is more to protect from abuse.

6 Likes

i see krasniy’s point tho a opt-out system would allow for a bigger player to move in hijack any ability for a new town builder to maybe do what he wants (in that example maybe he was building a road only for it to get surrounded) then opt-out so that you don’t even help towards that towns class or rank.

it would not be so much abuse but a good way to troll i can take up a lot of space in a city and contribute nothing to it.

1 Like

Then I suppose thats why my plot buffers would remain ON indefinitely if this was implemented and I was not given protection from abuse and trolling.

1 Like

Well I could maybe understand the point for a road in a city but not for a road out in the middle of the wild. At that point that road is not being used in any fashion for a city. So if people build around it who kind of cares.

2 Likes

The road owner has as much a right to care as you do to not care. You say you should not be able to force connect someone and then you “create” an exception that is perfectly acceptable to you.

Like I said… plot buffers will remain On indefinitely if optin/out is added with no protections for both parties.

Thats pretty childish to use “or else” tactic.

5 Likes

I don’t see how I am creating an exception with the points I made and my approach.

1. If the plot buffers are on then no settlement will be created anyway between the road and some person that is plotting beside it. Each person will stay in their own settlements. So the owner of that road shouldn’t care how the other party opts into or out of settlements.

2. If the plot buffers are off then the road is clearly wanting people to settle on near it. Having the settlement opt-out offers each side the opportunity to protect themselves just in case. The road “settlement” can just opt out. The other person that plotted beside the road (in your example) could change their mind and opt out of the settlement they created with the road. Both parties are free to do that or free to move.

There is no abuse being created in any of those scenarios.

Also note, that any person that plots and has no buffer opens themselves up to any party creating a settlement with them. This option allows them to back out of that merger. Just like in a case where people have plotted into their buffers and a settlement is created, the option allows people to back out of that situation in another way.

We have a case like this in our guild on our main planet. There was a spot that only had 2 plots between the plotted areas of two parties. When the buffer option came in to existence the space was “given authority” to the other party. They chose to come in and fill that space up forcing a merger of our settlements. Unfortunately we can’t unplot our space because they might still gain authority or we risk losing land. So our only choice is to opt out from the situation that other person created. This was wild land and had they kept the buffer in place things would have been fine.

2 Likes

right but then in your other posts about roads you want to remove plot buffers… sorta like having your cake and eating it to?

Absolutely not. If there are no protections to BOTH parties then the only recourse would be leaving the buffers on. Nothing “Or Else” about it. Otherwise one party has all the power to connect at will PLUS opt out of the settlement they are force connecting with.

If they opt out it’s no longer a force merge as you would be two separate identities and no prestige would be shared

4 Likes

so if they decide to make our road their “Mainstreet” thats all good and we would have nothing to say about it? Lets remember the other threads on this has the Hey lets remove plot buffers! Lets remove footfall! prestige! etc from the roads…let us NOT forget that is the ultimate goal some parties wish to have…so let us not discuss this losing the context of the entire conversation.