Update progress question/timelines

Hello New Devs/Monumental Staff!

As the March 6-month timeline approaches, many are wondering how the progress of the game is going to go from that point forward. I know about 6-months ago there was word of needing the 6-months for passdown from old company to new company, and giving you time to hire new developer staff and getting a deticated team to work on Boundless.

But as we approach that time estimate, how close are we to having a full staff ready to work on the game? Are you still looking for folks to help with the team? I see no positions posted on the website, and under “Our games” I don’t even see Boundless listed from the monumental site.

As a Soverign owner, community member, and long-time player I am just more or less looking for a progress/status report. I don’t expect 100% of everything to be gung-ho and ready to go march 1st. Just more trying to guage how far off things are, and if we are any closer to Monumental staff being the true rulers of the universe! BWAHAHAH!

Thank you in advance!

9 Likes

They already said it would be at LEAST 1 year before they started development. The first thing they plan to tackle is the New Player Experience (NPE) and add some monetization to bring in more income for the game.

3 Likes

I think? most recent post around this topic.

5 Likes

This is true it would be 1-year for development, as @May-L04 quoted as well…

I was more asking about the staffing status they mentioned would take them 6-months.

How close are they to completing THAT task, or hiring enough developers/staff to cover Boundless without having to share developers across game titles. There are no postings [nor have I seen any] from their website to hire said staff [it coulda been posted elsewhere] – but I noticed after their acquisition of other titles they were added to the company’s website, Boundless after 6+ months has not even been added to their list of games on their site.

I suppose I am getting a bit worried we will be a hidden title again, where the only way of advertising, is ONLY word of mouth.

But I thank you both for your reference/reminder of their development status.

5 Likes

Pc and Mac got also an update that when the game is loading that it says monumental. No changes for Playstation so far. Still says wonderstruck. I’m not sure if that is something they can change or not. Just know indeed that there has not been any further information sadly… maybe you can hit them up on support@playboundless.com? Not sure if that is usable for questions like that. maybe an option is discord…

3 Likes

Thanks for the knowledge I didn’t know PS4/PS5 users still see Wonderstruck for the publisher. That is quite sad to hear.

I do disagree a bit about everything going to private chat/contact, there isn’t a whole lot of public appearance here, so everyone may be sending the same question, but based on who you are you might not get the same answer. And since it’s all private-- there is no one who can fact-check things.

This concerns me, hence why I asked here on the forums. This has been traditionally the official place of information. If I have to write them via an e-mail [one of my least favorite methods for support for the record – especially since we have Forums, Discord, and ticketing systems available on the net, or ‘live chat’ features during business hours.

I hope you understand. But-- asking for a status, to be seen publicly shouldn’t require an e-mail written privately. [In my opinion]

4 Likes

Very much agree with this. It always bothered me in the past how much was shared with a select few via IM by the Wonderstruck team (I’m not including Xaldafax or Tahru in this).

Open communication is always appreciated and I believe I saw its something Monty believes in too in that mega thread about Monumental taking over? Could be misremembering.

3 Likes

This was on the official discord in January 2023 the last time someone was asking.

I’d say we just have to be patient. :man_shrugging:
Hope the new city is coming along nicely. :slightly_smiling_face::v:

4 Likes

I think it seems the ask is not about development but rather developers.

1 Like

I’m adding some emphasis to this re-quote:

Whether measuring from purchase date or the data of that post - all things appear to be right on schedule at this time :rofl:

I suspect that for them this will be one of the main challenge. They don’t appear to have any history of console related products, prior to boundless. And Sony has been an obstacle to a lot of things on the business side, besides.

In any case …

They’ve been fairly responsive to support since taking over. They got (enough of) the old team in for what I assume was some contracted support when a real bug was revealed, and have responded to issues like the recurring “fogging up” of the servers at least as quickly as wonderstruck was doing.

I’d say that while some news would be welcome, things are still going better than they were a year ago.

5 Likes

I am certainly not knocking the level of engagement. Tiggs and Morty have both been Extremely responsive, and those supporting here on the forums. I just figured I would ask, and my question has certainly been answered via quotes showing they updated their estimate from 6-months which was posted 5-months ago, to 1-year to bring up a team.

This would then imply it will take an estimate of 2-years before we as a community see a true large update for the game, and this is optimistic as development can be difficult, especially picking up in the middle of.

But it doesn’t answer whether they are still hiring or not, as like I stated I have not seen positions listed on their website, so the question is-- if I were to try and refer someone who is a skilled developer, or game animator-- where if not the site for the company, would one be referred? And if they aren’t posting those jobs-- have they been filled?

I was indirectly asking about the hiring aspect without being direct…

And @georgegroeg The city is coming along quite well! All roads and hubs are functional through the city. Builds and people are building up their storages, workshops and several shops have popped up. Some wonderful grand plans and more than 15 new people brought to the game in about 2-months of time for our guild. We are very excited for all the progress. Many have also recently picked up the game again for the first time since 2019, so bringing some older folks back is also something we’re looking to do. And teaching nearly everyone in our community how to forge, craft, and build themselves up so not to panic.

It’s been wonderful seeing our sovereign in it’s peak hitting 20~ people playing just to build/play and have fun together. No hunt, Just building and growing as a community. It’s not “The Future” level of activity, but we are still having a great amount of fun and helping all we can!

BUT Back onto topic, I feel my initial question was answered.

Tldr;
The initial guestimate of 6-months was extended to 1-year for hiring and training staff to handle the game as it is and begin working on the “new player experience” to better market the game [I fully support this!]

Thank you to all who did respond, and thank you for keeping me on-track! I don’t wish to spread misinformation, so this is something I can give to newer players who are asking and don’t know the history.

Development time for major updates wont be for another Year in-a-half, 18 months from now at best guess. Smaller updates may come between now and then, but ultimately anything large will be a year+ out.

If I have inaccurately summed it up, please feel free to correct me.

2 Likes

How one reads it they’re not hiring at the moment because they don’t even have the game yet fully in their hands. It’s still in transition and as long as that is not yet completed they are not going into hiring mode. That’s my guess. So… another 6 months maybe transition xD then hiring for a year maybe, and then whatever update they bring first could also take another year. All in all, a big amount of time still ahead.

1 Like

i think its not only transition, imo most important matter are all the assets, the way game is programmed, the programs and apps used, how the assets working with each other, how to use/ run/ configure and reprogramming world generator, exo spawner, they got fully working sceripts for events like oortmas, gleambow, now they need to learn how it was made to make own working similiar or other way?

imagine you buying the game, you know how it looks, you know how to play but yiou have no idea how to manage it?

as long as there a chance to make something Monumental out of it ill patiently wait
for me this game got enndless possibilities

i want to see what they can make with tools they bought :smiley:

GO MONUMENTAL

we’re counting on you :smiley:

1 Like

call me crazy but maybe they should just release the last patch which has been in beta for like 3 years…

dont develop anything just release that dang patch

the one that makes skill pages moot…

2 Likes

That was made by Wonderstruck. This is a new company with their own Agenda, which is to bring it more people to the game and bring in more money to pay for game development.

Also, that patch was incomplete. WS was making it an all in one, with the skills, swords/shields, and local universes as part of it. They never finished the patch. You really want them to release something unfinished?

2 Likes

I really want this too, but don’t care about private servers, personally.

I’m going out soon I may dig around tonight and see if I can find the quote saying the code was basically ready, delayed by some administrative/business decisions regarding the requirements for building or downloading privately hosted worlds.

In any case though, I’ve mentioned this before and was specifically told that it’s not a given that they will release any of the 249 functionality.

This is in line with the response when I asked about 249. Monumental’s priority is NPE and monetization to support ongoing development.

There’s no way to be sure how they will weigh retention and the effects of releasing the functionality from 249, even disregarding the privately hosted worlds.

In any case, unless the code was 100% ready to deploy and awaiting those business decisions, they don’t have staff to finish and deploy it. Full deployment is going to incur additional support, risk of unexpected bugs or exploits, and etc…

With no access to a test or beta format, the PS side hasn’t had even the slightly broader exposure that the PC client had. So even “100% ready to deploy” means something different when you’re working with the original team from what it would mean to an entirely new group of devs.

Breaking apart a code base like that is just as much a development job as creating the code in the first place, with additional risks so it’s not very likely that we would see any of the “pieces” separated until they’re in position for fully address new development on both the PC and console sides.

I guess what I’m getting at is “don’t develop anything” isn’t really an option. Releasing it piecemeal isn’t an option. Contracting support from prior team members might be a thing but honestly I doubt if enough (any?) of them are interested.

And at the end of the day (or whatever) it may be wiser for Monumental to start adding things they prioritize at a controllable pace than to just take on the release of 249 at all.

2 Likes

I am just going to play the game until I get bored. Plain and simple. I don’t know that an update will change the boredom point when and if I reach it.

Swords and Shields! Cool!
Titans! Also, Cool!
New Player Experience!! Bring it on!!!

Boundless is that game I go to when I just want to relax and chill in a game. I play other games that can be a bit more stressful at times, like DayZ, and other games that require my full attention… but that is where Boundless shines for me… I can jump off really quick and not lose my spot, or I can get on for 30 mins and not have to invest a long period of my time just to chill for a few.

I do usually spend more than 30 minutes of my time when I play, but the beauty is I don’t have to.

If you spend a lot of time worrying about an update, or awaiting an update about the update, or waiting on an update about the development team being formed I wouldn’t hold my breath. It will come when it comes, I just hope the communication doesn’t drop to the abysmal Wonderstruck level.

2 Likes

im playing Boundless when i want to play :smiley: exploring building, roaming around looking at others builds. farming, gathering, often ran to T1 planet looking for creatures walkinnnnng chilling eating at mud patches, its my fav view ingame, it calms me down :smiley:sometimes taking a day or two break for playing few other games, playtesting one game atm

patch? update? i can wait, i still have loads of things to do ingame :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m Also Very patient but there are times you think like Baldur’s Gate 3 just got a release Date for August 31 2023 maybe the Devs will comeback to finish that last patch before they completely transfer it over :laughing:

4 Likes