Update.?

Tiggs has been replying here and/or on discord about every month to let some different random person know that the transfer is still ongoing. It’s very different than them not saying anything (especially when we get a new thread every few days asking for an update).

Their plan has not been communicated as changing (in fact has been reaffirmed several times this year). Once transfer is complete, they will look to hiring dev team, learn the code base for many months, then start work on development (focusing on NPE first).

I’ve held off on buying gleam club until transfer is complete personally, because I don’t know which developer the money goes to. I’m hoping like everyone else that the transfer is complete soon so we can move to the next steps, They have no reason not to announce when the transfer is done, as it’s considered value added to their company afterall.

3 Likes

Hola Everyone,

I’ll be considering doing the same @kemyobra
I’ll let my gleam club run out. Not renew my Sov planet.
And if they take another 12 months to update the game, then that is a saving of $50 on GC and $120 on a Sov planet.
Total saved, $170

And if a update is release then I’ll just have to rebuild.

Reclaim one of the best thing in this game.

Good Day Everyone
“Stay Boundless”

2 Likes

Note: This message is not directed at any individual but rather addresses the community as a whole.

In the boundless expanse of our game world, we’ve been granted a minimum of a year, and there’s still much unexplored territory—like the teaching aspect and assembling a capable team, among other considerations. Anticipating updates within the next six months? Not a realistic expectation.

As players in the Boundless community, we don’t hold any special privileges compared to players of other games. The developers are immersed in their work, indifferent to whether you stay, leave, or join. Threatening to let planets expire, gleam club memberships lapse, or withdrawing support might seem impactful, but the reality is, they remain unfazed.

Engaging in debates over updates and unfulfilled promises won’t elevate the game. Pointing fingers at each other is counterproductive. The persistent rumors of the game’s closure add unnecessary friction. Contrary to popular belief, game closures are more often attributed to community dynamics than developer decisions.

Feel like stepping away while waiting for updates? Go ahead. Eager to play and patiently await improvements? You’re encouraged. Opting for a semi-active approach? Your choice. Even if you decide to rage-quit and never return, the game persists with new players taking the stage.

In essence, let Monumental the time they require, and let rumors dissipate. If the current trajectory doesn’t suit you, taking a break is a valid choice, but let those with a bit more patience in their values persevere.

6 Likes

This recently changed for me it says Monumental in the PlayStation store & yes I know everyone got this already but guess my region just got this boop!

Starting of the New Year I’ll be adding GC to my account my city is a Landmark I think (^-^)

I have watched Tiggs-chan in Action when it comes to keeping the community Updated when updates becomes available she does a Brilliant job :heart: (Little Alchemist Remastered) I hope to see that kind of passion in Boundless when that day arrives and we start rolling out updates :cookie:

3 Likes

My, aren’t you impatient. :roll_eyes:
If you really want to know, send an email to playboundless@support.com (which is what @Tiggs has told us from the start).
Those are pretty simple instructions. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m not in favor of feeding the drama or even creating I do not like it, but I feel the need to react.
I’m not interested in the administrative side I don’t care ,but just in rereading this post:

Continuation of topic Monumental Boundless news!:

I think everyone here is entitled to know what the vision was before the buyout and whether that same vision will be respected or whether it’s no longer the same.

3 Likes

Why would they answer such a question? It would do nothing but cause gloom and doomsayers to cry out all the more. Plus unforseen issues would cause any such commitments to be unreasonable to keep, they are still an indie game company afterall.

They have stated they have no plans of shutting down servers, or doing server wipes, is that not enough?

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly @Fiffer13. This is like promising precise update dates - it’s just another thing that would make people anxious when such timelines are not kept (I can see those countless posts counting days to the promised deadline and flood of complains when it’s not kept lol).

The servers have been kept running throughout the most uncertain times when the previous team went to work on BG3. What we have now is way more secure.
We have a plan set in steps (although without very precise timeline, understandably though.
And why would anyone pay for a game and put it in trash without even trying to do something about it first? :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

If my simple question like that cannot be answerred by a community manager then I cannot do anything else than fear the worst.

James even told us that he would inform us 1 year upfront if the servers would ever go down.

Not answerring a simple question like mine is going to cost Monumental money. People will not renew what they have bought if a community manager is not transparant about the future of Boundless.

Remember people, we are allowed to ask questions !!!

4 Likes

In what way? What evidence do you have that suggests the servers will remain up? I understand the desire to defend a game you enjoy but you are asserting that everything is fine without any real reason to think that way. There has been no progress from a development standpoint or any communication about commitments to keep the servers up. Is it really so outrageous that people want assurances before spending more money on the game?

5 Likes

What evidence do you have to suggest they won’t?

Monumental clearly said what needs to be done and in what order.

Nothing is sure in life but believing that they are going to dump Boundless without even giving it a go has less ground that taking the new owners word and believing they will assemble a team and start working on it.

I don’t defend the game or the owners. I defend common sense and basic trust in social contract. That includes use of language in communication between entities.

So for me when Monumental say they will make an announcement when the transfer is finished, it means exactly that and not the opposite.

Have you missed all their communication since their become the new owners? You are yet another person making that complain despite the fact that Monumental made it clear that its transfer of assets first, assembling a team then and after that working on the game.

If they say they don’t want to wipe servers, it’s obvious they want to keep them going.

That one is not for me. I have never attacked anyone for their views.
I said not long ago that any opinion has place here. But that also means reacting to the “end of Boundless” speculations is valid. As long as there is no personal attacks exchange of views is great welcome and important. That seems obvious to me. It’s a forum. Is it that outrageous that some don’t agree with doom and gloom scenarios?

Still. It would be good if people checked their facts. Those who worry will worry. But if someone misrepresent basic facts or forgets to mention key information, when talking about chances of Boundless demise, I will react and insert omitted bits as counter arguments.
I never want to shush anyone as some claimed, I only demand truth to be used as basis of any opinions, and expect right to argue and have a proper conversation, instead of being called a white knight or toxic or naive optimist.

3 Likes

is just a portal away

4 Likes

Are you aware that Monumental bought Crowfall and shut down the servers a year later? To be fair, as an early kickstarter backer of that game as well, I think it was the right call. Their reasoning was that the continued development and server costs were too high. Their other purchase was Mythgard which saw some regular development on it but hasn’t had an update since June. It is unsurprising that it remains up as a card game has less server interaction than an MMO so I am very curious to know how Boundless stacks up in comparison. Will it be shut down like Crowfall or is it still pulling in enough revenue to make it worthwhile in the long run?

I’ve seen many kickstarter games and MMOs that didn’t pan out and they all ended in similar ways with the developers halting development then shutting down the servers without much notice. I hope that Boundless isn’t the same way but the only communication has been that it is in the process of transferring ownership. That explanation is very hard for me to accept seeing as how it has been 14 months since they laid claim to the game.

3 Likes

I suggest that one of us reaches out to support via email to gather information and then share the responses with the community. I believe it’s unnecessary for Tiggs to constantly update us here on the forums or update us here for the future of the game (hope you see what I did there… :wink: ). It’s a bit disheartening to see even companies previously Wonderstruck and now Monumental having to repeatedly defend themselves. Quite a shame, in my opinion.

4 Likes

I am aware of that @cjmarsh as someone was already posting that a while ago.

And that was the closest to proper arguments for worry and negativity.
And then I read actual statements by monumental and checked on the game and realized its not a good representative of what might or might not happen to Boundless.

I made detailed argument of why I think that, twice in the past, so not too keen on trying to do it again now as I’m on the phone and previous lengthy reply already stretched my hand nerves lol.

But I might come back to it here later when I’m on pc, should you or anyone want to hear about the false analogy.

2 Likes

That may be an example of false analogy too. Depends on what games we are talking.

In general, other games ending like this is only a valid example if they are really similar in the way the servers work and how much of a challenge keeping them going is for developers.

1 Like

Yes, this is true. Another factor is how much revenue they generate from the game currently with existing monetization. All of which is speculation. However, your assertion of a false analogy is also speculation. At the end of the day I just want to know if the servers will continue to remain up before spending a lot more money and time on the game.

2 Likes

Ok I’m home on PC.

As far as I remember, Crawfall was temporarily shut down, so they can re-think the game play.
Crawfall needed continuous content creation (seasons) - that means people and time is needed simply to continue running the game, so less resources to actual developing it.

Boundless servers don’t need anything else but maintenance, as it’s player-content-only environment, so no NPCs, no seasons and other epic stories that must be written and implemented to keep players engaged.

Hence, false analogy. Boundless doesn’t need much attention to be run. Prove is in the pudding - through all the difficult times in last days of Wonderstruck the servers were still kept alive (they said with the amount of GC and sovs back then they just about break even).
And let’s look now - the game hasn’t even been fully transferred and Monumetal didn’t even had a chance to work on it, and the servers are still going. Why? Cause all they need to do is restart servers and activate seasonal events and exos. Low maintenance, really.
Withdraw all the GC and sov players and they might feel the costs of running Boundless. So, if there is any danger of server closing, it’s when players stop playing. And that is actually one thing we control - whether we keep playing and spending some money on it. I had a half a year hiatus and stopped supporting the game with my GC and sov payments - it was in the midst of the Wonderstruck “pause in development”. Back then, I agree, there was a chance the game had no future (even though it was made clear by James that as long as they break even, as they apparently did even with the small player base, the servers will be kept alive).

I think this where we play the role - if we want the game to be there for us, our presence and wallets allow that. What incentive do Monumental have to not keep servers, after they paid for the game and seeing that it works with little effort the way it is? Monty did say that there is no intention to wipe servers ever, so it seems logical that they will keep them running during the transition time.

I am not saying that long term, a year or two or more from now, they won’t get into some kind of trouble and start rethinking their plans for the game. That can be said about any game - no matter how successful or good. Any game can be discontinued for many reasons.
What I’m arguing is that the short term worries and pessimism (that Monumental won’t even get to developing and somehow the plan they laid down for Boundless cannot be trusted) is based, in my opinion, on weak premise (like other games failure or lack of news at this time).

I don’t mind if people worry (I am not that sure that everything will be fine myself), but I will always argue someone’s point if I find it weak.
It’s called discussion.

3 Likes

All I want is a clear statement from the community manager. When I specifically ask @Tiggs to answer a simple question, then I expect some response from Tiggs. I don’t need anybody else to speak on behalf of her.

I don’t care for speculations, opinions or feelings from anybody on the forums, never asked for it either, so I will not respond to those ‘speculations, opinions or feelings’.

No matter how much people think they need to insult me or try to shut me up or something like that, I will be playing Boundless and I will have a voice here on the forums.

Don’t agree with me ? Fine, all good. No need to make it personal as many do on these forums. Maybe just refrain from posting if you run out of arguments, specially if you just place insulting stupid images/gifs.

Stick to the Forum Rules/Code of Conduct people !

3 Likes

How long would it take with no news before it is no longer a weak premise for you?

3 Likes