Very sad news about one of the former Boundless team

Baldur’s Gate 3 cinematic animation lead Jim Southworth has died: ‘We will all forever have a Jim-shaped hole in our lives’ | PC Gamer

When I first saw Larian mention it, I remembered seeing his name as a Boundless dev. PC Gamer here has a very touching article quoting many of the team. I’m loving BG3 now, and of course got years of incredible enjoyment - escape from some of the toughest times in my life - from playing Boundless, so very grateful for his work, and wanted to extend my condolences on here too, to the former Turbulenz/now Larian Guildford team. Also figured it was possible some of the folks here who got in Boundless well before I did, the early backers, may possibly have known him, so thought it worth mentioning on here.

10 Likes

Just logged in here to post something about this but you said it best. Sending well-wishes to the old team in these hard times.

5 Likes

I met Jim, along with the rest of the team, when I was lucky enough to be invited to “pop round for a visit” at the studio. He was lovely guy, who you could tell was enthusiastic and passionate about that things that he was creating.

I remember him showing me how they did the skewed blocks, so that they looked somewhat more organic and less uniform, tweaking sliders and explaining how everything worked. He also showed me an idea that they were working on for the sanctum and it was easy to get caught up in the excitement of what he was doing, not only because I was a fan, but by the way that he animatedly talked about the concepts, plans and ideas they had for the game.

10 Likes