Warping and boundless economy

Anyone else foresee a dead economy through warping?
Warping is super expensive and coins are only given through levelling from what I’ve seen. I’m capped at 50 mining already so I do have a lot more coins to gain from the other skills, I won’t be seeing those coins anytime soon though as we all know from the slow level of the other skills.

Since warping is temporary and costs 500 coins that don’t go back to players, we’ll all slowly drain our coins until there’s none left.

Yes I sell resource to other players, slowly gaining more coins. But with the warp coins leaving the game entirely we will all eventually run out and no longer be able to buy anything from other players.

I’m already at a point where I don’t want to buy anything at a market because I’m saving my coins for warping…

Other MMOs fuel their economy by having monsters drop coins/credit and having NPC merchants that players can sell resources to. But without either of those in the current boundless build our economy is going to die pretty quickly.

There will definitely be mechanics that infuse new coin into the economy, they just aren’t ingame yet.
(Don’t forget that Boundless is still in alpha :wink:)

1 Like

I imagine there will be a separate type of currency for things like warping. Otherwise, yeah… boundless would be hit with a nasty recession :confused:

I know this is still an alpha, we all know that :blush:

Would be nice to have a more thriving economy in the alpha though, would encourage more player trading.

Also need to remember that the warp costs are a flat rate, no matter where you are travelling from/to, at the moment.

This will change and warping will (I’m told) eventually be based on the distance you are from your destination planet, so short hops, like jumping to the next visible planet, should be much cheaper than jumping 5 planets away (for example). This will also, of course, need to go through a certain amount of balancing and fine tuning.

A thriving economy is the ultimate balancing act, and secondary to building and balancing other core features of the game. Sure, it would be nice to have… but so would every other core function like improved combat, guild support, boss encounters, dungeons, mob ai, etc.

Fine, but in my opinion the markets would be used much more during the alpha with even the simplest of changes to warp costs

for some isnt this a problem yet, But for those who are low on credits. Maybe it is able to give everyone 2000 coints each week?

Apparently you can still warp even when you have no coin - you just end up going into a negative number. Does help for being able to buy things though, unfortunately!

I wonder what the additional coin infusion methods will be (other than the current progression ones)… anyone have any thoughts / ideas?

1 Like

Likely something tied to discovery like chests or randomly generated stashes? I wouldnt mind getting some coin grommets titans either.

1 Like