Water, lava, and griefing

I think the issue is the way water is currently implemented.

tl; dr: one block makes infinite blocks. I could flood your build with just 1 bucket of water.

I have been experimenting on Vulpto, where you can find many lakes/ponds held back by some invisible force; if you mine blocks away they will flow into the previously dry spaces, but only new flows are calculated, old ones are not evaluated. By the looks of things, water blocks were created, but not necessarily bounded by solid terrain at their boundaries.

At any rate, on Vulpto I found what looked like a lone voxel of water. This has been my experimental setup for testing how water works and how my underwater river may eventually take form. If I break away the ground under my lone block of water, infinite water flows out an makes more water blocks.

That water can be directed and manipulated to make more pools, ponds, and flows of water. Again, the amount of water is infinite, so I can make a large empty space, open it to a flow of water from above, and then flood the whole space. (Well, how deep it floods is not always 100% predictable, my experiments are ongoing).

So, unless player builds incorporated drains into lower spaces in their builds, they could easily be flooded with water. I could build a waterfall into your roof-top stairs and flood 100ā€™s or 1000ā€™s of blocks with self-regenerating water from 1 bucket. Using a bucket to remove my dirty troll water would be similar to bailing out the Titanic with a bucket. Yes, you are removing water, but there is a lot more coming in that you havenā€™t stopped. Even if you stop the entry, the number of blocks to be removed would be problematic.

1 Like

This is an artifact of the world builder doing its thing - the walls of water come from caves breaking the surface: anywhere there is terrain above water level (64 on current worlds), water wonā€™t spawn, with the exception of floating islands.

(hopefully that helps your mental model of it a bit!)

Iā€™m late to the party but just seen this thread, perhaps making it so only the mayor can place the liquids? or making accessible to players whoā€™s settlements exceed Xā€™ amounts of plots.
Players arenā€™t going to grief their own builds.
Not sure if this comment is worth much this late on, but oh well.

1 Like

if you leave a 1-plot gap (e.g. 9+ blocks directly above) you could still be ā€˜outsideā€™ of a settlement, but drop a waterfall down someoneā€™s chimney.

Also, someone with a nearby ā€˜high value buildā€™ (e.g. 400 machined iron blocks in a big pile) could take over the mayor title and mess with water features. Or may just decide they donā€™t like you and troll you.

Not trying to dismiss your idea, but want to highlight some challenges. I think we know the devs can implement a bucket of lava fairly easily. What they canā€™t do is police how people will use them.

1 Like

Pretty sure toxic players wonā€™t pay $30 for a game, and on top of that waste a lot of time getting xp to unlock the ability to manipulate or place water each time they get banned. Plus, the community youā€™ve got here is very nice for three most part.

2 Likes

hey @james we are testing the game give us buckets and see what happens :smile:

8 Likes

I see what you are saying, like @bubbathegoat said, I doubt a player would place loads of machined ore (hardly cheap) just to claim mayor to screw with youā€¦ but is see what you are saying. @the-moebius is rightā€¦lets see what happens XD

2 Likes

I donā€™t want to grief anyone, but I do have 100 machined Iron (and more in process) that I am using for flooring (I like the soundā€¦ donā€™t judge me!) that I can pick up and move if I decide to grief someone. I can then pick it all up to move down the road to grief again. Itā€™s not so amazing a cost if the builds in a town are all <100k for a dedicated griefer.

2 Likes

ahh fair enough, I see what you are saying.

1 Like

lol - did copper floor months ago as it seemed to fit my machine room idea; fell in love with the steps sound on it and used it since together with iron in every machine room I ave built after

1 Like

I was just thinking I would probably like a copper-iron checkerboard even more! Iā€™m probably going to go for it, because I do have a bunch of copper on handā€¦

1 Like

I already tried different patterns of copper and iron but it doesnt look that good imho - sound-wise its super cool though.

I agree. By default beacons should not allow water to flow into their plot, this only works for water flowing into plots not already existing/ standstill water to avoid people cheat building an underwater base.

As for the crafting id like to think anything can be used to craft a bucket but for lava It would have to be made of something lava resistant like diamond only or something idk.

I do also like the idea of maybe 10 cloth and 4 tallow creating a water pouch. Maybe this could duel as a bucket or just for drinking if they ever do add a hunger thirst bar to the game. Or maybe we could just store some booze in there :wink:

2 Likes

@james i have to agree with @the-moebius give us buckets and see what happens. We are still in alpha. Yea it would suck if people started greefing but if we just get them we can sort out ways with the devs to figure out how we can prevent greefing. Like your ideas. Having the liquid ā€œsolidifyā€ at your border or something of the sortsā€¦

I know this is codingā€¦ But what if you guys implemented a liquid factor in the beacons. Make a box that we can check if we want it in our beacons. If we do not check that box then liquids will simply not enter the beaconed area. .

Yes i know people can still greed with that as wellā€¦ But shag it. We are testing the game :smiley: :smiley: throw in buckets and lets see how it goes :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Was anything ever done with this, just made a water bucket expecting minecraft and I canā€™t place a source block. lava should def be relegated to plots you own, but water? Itā€™s rather innocuous, allow it to be placed outside of your own plot, but not inside of someone elses plot, and treat it like any other unclaimed block, it just will revert itself. The reason being to be able to use water on magma.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no source block placement just yet. Iā€™d imagine any sort of fluid placement would need to follow the same rules.

The reason being, you could still grief someone with water, especially if lava is a part of their build.

2 Likes

Just disable their interactive physics in a claimed zone then?

1 Like

they are working on a solution.

1 Like

I like the time played approach and making it difficult to get but not so much difficult maybe a long process to unlock it. The baddies tend to jump into games and et right to trollinā€¦

3 Likes

So hereā€™s an idea. You know how thereā€™s a limit to how far water can flow on a flat surface before it diminishes to nothing? Code something like that, but donā€™t let it reset when it drops down a level (or more). Once youā€™ve got that, make it so that if the water reaches that limit, the source block disappears and another source block is created a block or two ā€œdownstreamā€ from that, and do the same thing with the created block(s).

Ultimately, if it could be made so that a voxel can only ā€œfillā€ with water by draining a voxel above itself, that would pretty much solve this problem, as a build could only be flooded a few blocks at a time.

This way, the worst that could happen is a ā€œtidal waveā€ flowing down from a high-lying spot, that ends in a one-voxel wide/deep ring of water when it finally stops.

1 Like