We need to overhaul portals and portal fueling

I like the idea of mining it but it can not be only on exo planets as that is not a good idea because not everyone can go exo planets. I would say t4 and up planets all should have oort seems.

If we could somehow gain the ability to make portals that reach as far as we’d like (ie: portal from Kada to Alcyon), then I think there might be less portals. Right now, that requires several portals.

5 Likes

i sjut think the issue is the portal size limit for X blinksec. i think this should go away and let use the portal size we want.

5 Likes

Also since they added building blocks made from oort you should be able to get oort from other sources other meteors i have four portals that i can manage but that means i can not get enough to fuel portals and use to build with and i really want to build with it

1 Like

Not exactly why this would be a good idea , but even if this happened. . who runs it? Who gets all the footfall? Who gets first chance to plot the areas around the single portal on each planet? So every player that wants to be near the portal network will be scrambling to get plots near the single inter-planetary one on each planet? How is any of this good for the game?

1 Like

I had a very extensive thread on Mineable Oort - Mineable or Gathered Oort and have had many long direct conversations with James on this.

Here are the challenges that need to be solved to even consider Oort delivery in a different way:

1. How will we balance Meteor Oort delivery with any other solution? 1 hour there = x Oort and 1 hour in the new method = same x amount of Oort.
  2. How will we balance the ECONOMY of Oort considering the addition of the new Oort method
  3. How will we handle those users that now will feel the game is a grind because they see this new method as another way they HAVE TO USE to get Oort. (great now I have to hunt meteors and mine for it)
  4. How will you make it available to low level characters where needed on T1 planets.

In the case of mining Oort it was very clear that people in the current community would see it as a grind to find Oort just like it is to find Diamond or some other gems. Plus any mass delivery of Oort results in how to do balance and not crash the economy or other existing things that are working with the current Oort model when you have an influx of Oort.

For “fueling portals” it would go along the same line that I pushed on wanting to use Oort for warps. How do you get it on the lower level planets?

It is great to ask for new things but most of the problems are how to balance it and not:

A) Make those that used the old system MAD because they then “wasted their time” doing it the old way"
B) Make those that liked it the old way MAD because things in the game changed
C) Make those that want things easy MAD because they don’t understand the requirement to have balance and a work/reward and progression game model.

If you can answer those things then maybe you can get change in the game. That is certainly the hardest problem… but once you have that figured out you have to deal with priorities. And I can tell you both of these things (balance and coding priority) is what hurts and slows everything down in the game. I’ve seen it over and over in my conversations - (yesterday it was about easier access to all colors and simplifying GOO that fell apart because of the above challenges).

3 Likes

Better ways to make coin then footfall.
If someone wants quick access to the network from same planet open a 1x2 portal to it.
Who plots it, idk.

In the end less oort would be used to fuel a bunch of 100x100 portals. All leading to the same planets. Dozen of networks all link to the same planet as other networks. Doesn’t make since.

Not in this case. . every person in the game has to use your portals in order to get to another planet, unless they want to spend coin on warping. So free or coin. . most players will take free.

Sounds easy to open a 1x2 portal to the hub but that assumes that there is someone located close to the planetary portal that will allow you to open a portal there. You cannot open one if either you do not have a beacon there or someone that does allows you to. Might be in the interest of those closest to the planetary portal to not allow player portals in order to get more footfall.

I doubt this as now players that are not living in the main portal settlement are probably trying to get portals close to the main portal settlement, plus will want portals on the higher tiers to get away from the main portal in order to gather or mine. Might end up with more small portals. If you end up with more of these to compensate for the lack of multiple portal networks then the demand for Oort may not be any different.

Hmmm…random thought…:crazy_face:

On every planet, there is a falling star, once an hour.

If you can find the falling star, you can gather an oort seedling from it.

Plant the oort seedling in a plot at your master beacon.

In X days a tree will grow. It will produce 3 oort every X days.

You can only have/grow one tree per account. Non-tradeable. Maybe you could also purchase the seed for 2500 cubits.

2 Likes

I won’t say it was a direct quote but I was told by him that the expectation is that a single player can manage 1 1x2 portal as their standard. I think anything beyond that is gravy and how people or the community want to play and not in their area to define.

3 oort every day from only 1 tree that would take to long to fuel any portals

1 Like

I just build roads! :wink: 100 coins a pop too expensive to port! :wink: lol …as for supply…those very same roads keep my oort resupply missions strong

The only way to properly mine is with a hammer with aoe. Do you also want a secondary way to make those?

4 Likes

This thread is about Oort and fueling portals.

How to properly mine something is up to the user.

1 Like

We don’t need the amount of portals we have in game currently. Like anything based on economics, supply and demand will determine how many active portals the universe needs.

Portals are a luxury.

3 Likes

The thread is about alternative ways to power portals but has since strayed into potentially nerfing one entire occupation. It’s only fair to compare it to another.

3 Likes

Let it be minable like it says in the knowledge tab. I don’t want another farm ever. Unless crop and seed was improved.

Unfortunately the only way this would happen is if every other current and potential future network agreed to merge into one.

People like running their own networks their own ways; this combined with the issues of things like ownership and what design the hubs would be means this can never realistically happen.

Although its got me thinking how much coin it would cost to straight up buyout a network…

I run around 20 portals, most of them are 2x1, a couple 2x2 and a single 4x2 and I can fuel them pretty easily. I even have oort left to sell and to craft deco blocks.

I only hunt like 40 minutes when there is a hunt happening(and I dont always attend to hunts), recently started hosting and thats the only time where I hunt for 90 minutes.

People who can’t afford to run their portals is because they have too many.

Also

Is this what you talk about?

5 Likes

It would be great if there were some action taken to make this happen. I wonder what the “fuel curve tweak” would be?

5 Likes