Weekly Dev Update: 2016 September 16th - Worlds, Warps, Golf, and more

I see the “golf drop” feature as being easily exploitable. If I design a puzzle type map and charge a few coin for attempting it (with a special prize for completion of course) and the player dies, they’d be able to transport themselves past the puzzle, or possibly straight to the treasure room. I think @Vastar 's idea of allowing a player to drop a respawn point themselves would be a better method, but something only that player can use and would require placing again after use (reminiscent of farore’s wind from OoT) would further reduce exploitability.

1. The location of the Golf-drop is not in the players control - but it will be safe. (Not in lava!)
  2. It’s always outside of a beacon.
  3. There is a penalty for using it.

The general idea is - I’m stuck anything is better than here.

Whilst it might be exploitable - I don’t think it is in the case you’re describing.

3 Likes

Ah. I think I just overlooked rule no. 2. If they get transported outside the beacon, it shouldn’t be a problem. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

The common theme about Boundless is that the players can play it however they wish to play it. That should be replicated in the progression system too. Right now when you perform an action related to a profession, you’ll earn XP for that profession. When you earn enough XP you’ll level up and get a reward.

Later on the plan is to give you points for each level which you can spend on attributes, abilities and traits. And it is up to the player how and where they want to spend these points.

3 Likes

This is the current version of the system. It is worth noting that not all gameplay systems are in place and when they do go in I imagine this rule will need to reviewed. It is difficult to see how the system will interact when all features are in.

3 Likes

In the respective profession I guess?
Or will it be more like in Fallout, where a point obtained by leveling sneaking can be spent on improving your crafting capabilities?

1 Like

Yep. But there are no trees based specifically on a profession.

1 Like

Oh ok, I was just making an assumption on this based on this old statement from ben:

We found that system to be too restricting and it went against the sandbox nature of play and build how you want. With that system you lock yourself into being good at 3 professions.

The one we are working on at the moment means you can spend your skill points in all areas but if you do you might not have enough points to unlock the high end skills.

1 Like

Out of curiosity (and an unfortunate case of pedantry), when you say you ‘might not’ have enough points to unlock the high end skills, does that actually mean that you ‘will not’ have enough to spend on high end skills, or is the design that eventually you ‘might’ be able to earn enough points to get everything, given enough time and playing?

PS. Sorry, I know that’s a contentious issue…

1 Like

If there are 100 skill points and 200 abilities to unlock across multiple trees you will cap out. We want to encourage different set ups and not have clones.

Dang, I really, really liked the old proposed concept.
Well, let’s wait and see how that new one turns out I guess.

how are you going to make the ability/skill UI? is it something like Poe/ff7 style? just curious :slight_smile:

I was also a much bigger fan of the old concept. It would also have been a much better base for a not restrictive (aka not capped) skill system.

I’ll wait and see how this capped system turns out but I’m really really sceptical.

Also, an uncapped skill system and having no clones aren’t mutually exclusive at all. (Which is also why I see no real reason for a capped system.)

Wouldn’t all players naturally unlock all things and have the same skills eventually if it was uncapped?

By allowing a single character to become master of everything there is no need for a Multiplayer economy if everyone is self sufficient.

That being said I know this has been a very mixed topic because some people want to unlock everything. But I would like to hold off discussing this until more details are in place.

At the end of the day, it’s a number and a number can change.

1 Like

Not if it’s too hard and/or time consuming. (I know bots would be a problem with such a system but I’m assuming they’ll be dealt with.)

That’s also the reason I’ll wait for your (Wonderstrucks) implementation of the system. As much as I don’t like how the system sounds I can only judge it properly if I tested it.
And I’m really glad to know that you’d be willing to change it if there are enough reasons to do so.

11 Likes

Hey, very nicely done! Great style also!

2 Likes

lol ur account picture looks like pedobear

You necro’d an effectively dead thread… for this? Keep it to direct messages…

2 Likes