What are we owed?

What do y’all think we are owed from the devs?

Are we owed communication and regular updates on how development is going?

• YAY
  • NAY
0 voters

Are backers owed the things they were promised during early-access crowd-funding?

• YAY
  • NAY
0 voters

Are we owed the things we were promised as core features during early-access crowd-funding (such as Titans)?

• YAY
  • NAY
0 voters

Are we owed new content that wasn’t promised during early-access?

• YAY
  • NAY
0 voters

Are we owed that things that were teased as concept-arts years ago?

• YAY
  • NAY
0 voters

Is BabyCookie owed some more cookies?

• YAY
  • NAY
0 voters
4 Likes

Can’t really argue for cookies being owed, but I can’t say no to the prospect of future cookie implementation.

1 Like

Just YOU try explaining to her why you think @BabyCookie doesn’t deserve more cookies. Go ahead, I will wait a safe distance away.

7 Likes

I don’t know about some of these things being ‘owed’, but I do think better communication is ‘deserved’ more like

17 Likes

One catch on all of my “nay” votes. You do deserve an explanation of why you aren’t getting them.

It is short-sighted to believe that every project should stick to it’s original design. Situations evolve, things change. When you invested in the unfinished project, you should have understood that those were the hopes, dreams, and current plans for the project, but that things change.

They should make good faith effort to provide you with either the things you were told you would get, or an explanation of why the direction has changed.

6 Likes

I have no challenge lol. I will put the cookies in the bag and calmly back away.

3 Likes

Agreed. “Deserved” is a much better word for this. I knew nothing was a promise when I bought into an early access game. It’d sure as heck be nice though.

2 Likes

If u are promised something that u “invested”/bought in yes it needs to happen but if u bought a game based off them saying we will add Titans ect it’s ur own kriffing fault u bought what the game was at that exact point

1 Like

Well, Cookie is owed more cookies of course. :grin:

The rest, I have to abstain, not knowing all the information. “Owed” is a strong word - I would tend to ask, would it be right/ethical for these things to be provided, and even then, my answer would be “If possible” and that would depend on factors I don’t know. It may very well be for financial and/or legal reasons at present that they simply can’t. If we’re, for example, in a situation where the bulk of the workers are now with Larian (and nothing to do with Boundless), Turbulenz either no longer exists or is focused on other stuff to stay afloat, and the game is being run now as best a few people still can, well, that case, I just hope they can do the best they can to keep it running.

That said, I repeatedly say I try not to get too negative out here on the boards, but the way I’ve seen them handle some things related to communication… yikes. There have been, IMO, some real errors made in the past. But for the current situation, I just don’t have enough info to really say if I think they need to be doing any of these things - that’s why I qualified my requests in other posts for more information with “if you can.”

2 Likes

We are owed to have this forum to whine and joy.

I don’t want to vote on early access things. I have no idea what the early backers agreed on and the conditions that were part of those agreements.

Also, I want to say that I would like to see all the things come to live but I don’t think we are owed anything.

2 Likes

Interestingly each of my votes fell into the majority for each question. Edit: I expected at least one of my votes to be in the minority but I was wrong and that makes me happy.

And yes @BabyCookie is owed more cookies.

1 Like

I would say the fact you all have to make posts like this speaks more to the state of the game than the lack of communications from the devs.

Some people are fine with no updates, but when the players start to leave because of no communication and no updates then dont expect the rest of us that play the game to be around people to stick around when suddenly were playing solo…

2 Likes

Strongly disagree. Titans were a day-1 promise, listed as a pending feature back when there were only 11 other fellow backers to the game, and simply gaining access to the pre-alpha was a $95usd commitment. We bought in on the promise of continued future development of features including the Titans. I was even on a number of occasions given privileged access to behind the scenes progress on that feature. In the end, I see that it was deemed that titans were simply too big, too incompatible with other core game mechanics (beacons in particular) to be included in the core game. But, rather than come out and say that this feature was beyond the scope of what they could deliver in a satisfactory state, it remains listed as “coming soon” for years now. I have granted A TONNE of free passes to the devs in the past, invested thousands of dollars and thousands more hours of game play (worth also mentioning the innumerable hours as a volunteer mod on these forums and discord), but that one feature I cannot overlook and cannot ignore.

I don’t understand why titans are not an exo-world feature. Put em on a super flat world with little or no terrain to cause navigation issues and no beacons, and let them wander as the behemoths they were destined to be. That, or come out and tell us this feature cannot be delivered as promised. My goodwill is permanently damaged by that one broken promise in particular.

13 Likes

Backers are, at the very least, owed an explanation or timeline for goods promised.
Current players, who are still able to purchase services, should be given assurances that they are not wasting money.
The devs owe it to themselves to clearly communicate this change in update timescales and past promises, in a manner befitting professionals.
I don’t consider myself owed anything (expect a cookie…?)

5 Likes

Alright, “owed” isn’t the right word. I took the word from @Dhusk but I guess I should’ve said “Should we have/get < ______ >?”

4 Likes

My theory is the launch date was not the original desired launch date.

But that’s just a theory. Im not sure how others feel on that theory.

Edit: especially as this theory implies launch date wouldn’t have happened for a few more years at least. Yes, this theory is based upon us not having titans yet.

2 Likes

That is known. The launch date was pushed forward by Sony, whom I surmise wanted to list boundless as a competitor to Microsoft’s recent acquisition of Minecraft and pushed by SqEx to start getting regular subscribers to the GC.

4 Likes

Found this oddly difficult to answer, for the same reason as mentioned by others.

I’m not sure that we are technically ‘owed’ anything, as when you buy into early access you do so in the understanding it may all not happen at all, or it has the potential to change.

However, I would say that if the intent is to build the game, grow the community and generally foster good faith, I’d strongly recommend that the team should communicate with some regularity and try to offer all the backer bonuses to backers (or find some alternate if a particular bonus no longer fits in with the design).

Additional features not part of the original concept and building upon concept art probably fall outside of this (although would obviously still be great if they got acted upon… still hoping for Ladders).

As to Cookies for BabyCookie… I don’t know. Has she done something to actually deserve more cookies, or are you saying she is owed them simply because she REALLY wants them? Cause that would be a terrible precedent to set (especially when you think about how passionately people want stuff in this game).

5 Likes

Let’s let babycookie be the exception pretty please? I see more harm in withholding cookies from her. I.e. my house might be raided by a cookie monster in search of said cookies and since there aren’t any there will be a sad cookie monster. I don’t like the idea of a sad babycookie.

1 Like