What turns you off playing Boundless?

The constant rain is really beginning to annoy me.

3 Likes

I just realized why this is a huge feature that is missing.

I played guild wars 2 at launch then didn’t play again for five years. Came back to everything! Including my bank, mail, and stuff waiting to collect on the trading post. It was like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes.

If my wife and I ever let our stuff lapse, it will be for good. Coming back to nothing just isn’t viable.

Retaining the build would be nice, but isn’t ideal. No sense letting worlds fill up with ghost cities. But when a beacon expires the contents should be vaulted. That functionality is going to play a key role in longevity.

2 Likes

@Narkulus, @LyndaFromHR From reading what you’re saying, I think you two should come endorse this suggestion I made. :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably wont change ya mind on the subject, but i’m happy to give you all the coils and tools you likely lost if you did want to play again - I value people playing more than the value of the items.

3 Likes

As much as I would commend you for your generosity, you must agree that this is not a viable thing to do, right? Giving out things to people who lost their houses, because of a very punitive system.

Oh yes definitely, but in the meantime offering stuff is about the only thing I can do. Any kind of locker system would need to be stored independently of the sanctum because the sanctum is offline, and would also need to detect what is considered “valuable”.

Is it just stuff in storage blocks? Is it also placed coils? Is it literally every block in a build? And then there’s the other aspect of people finding regenerating builds being a part of the game that would be taken away from this.

While I agree a system is needed, the best way to approach it is a difficult task for sure.

5 Likes

That’s a great offer, but I have to decline. I don’t feel comfortable putting hours into a game that I know will allow my inventory to expire if I have to leave for a while for what ever reason. It’s a terrible idea and only benefits those that are somehow addicted to the point that they’ll never stop playing, but for the more casual player, it’s a huge game breaker. Losing a build and the land is bad, but understandable, but an entire loss of inventory is reason to stop playing permanently. The game has bled off players since shortly after launch and unlike most other games that players eventually come back to, they are unlikely to return once they see they have practically nothing.

1 Like

It’s not really a game gripe, I enjoy boundless, I’ve enjoyed all the way through still finding things to do, ideas to try, but plots going dormant is grinding my gears, I know that’s linked in with players no longer playing but ya try and make a nice town etc and more than 50% of the contributors are no longer there, you end up with unfinished roads, random holes and when beacons run out there snapped half way thru regen and nothing gets done with them. I don’t care how people build, I like random stylings, makes a place unique but when your trying to make a place hospitable and everything’s in disrepair I’m kinda feeling why bother. Consider moving, already done that once early on and it would be a much bigger job this time. The snapping up of plots and never doing anything with them is a big peevee

I just wanted to share the answer I got when I asked a friend why she left Boundless.

Here’s her answer :

I wanted to share this because I think my friend made a very legit point when talking about how the game is advertized. The trailer that got me into the game does say “but whatever path you take, be bold, be remarkable, be boundless”. The “path” thing, and the name of the game does kinda implying that you are free to do as you please, doesn’t it?

And in many ways, you are.
But if you wanna go further than a mud house, if you want to have a portal up, if you want to have those nice marble blocks everybody has, or if you want to mine fast like the others, there aren’t 36 ways to go about it. You will need to go on hunts. You will need to farm. You will need to grind.
Anyway, I don’t know, it just made me think a bit.

1 Like

Curious…is she referring to meteors? I solo almost everything & I know some others do as well. I can’t think of an MMO that doesn’t have grind :thinking: & lots of it. Even in Farmville & phone app games you have to grind to get to higher levels & higher tier supplies.
Thank you for taking the time to post her feedback :+1:

2 Likes

I think what she meant is that she is very casual in her approach to gaming and Boundless is pretty hardcore compared to many other games of the genre.

1 Like

I see. :+1: I play numerous MMOs & I hit max level in Boundless faster than any other game I play. I would say it’s one of the easiest MMOs to level up in, but that’s just my take on it. Everyone is different.

(ie: it’s been almost a year since I have hit a new mastery level in Trove - I just hit 2 new levels yesterday because of the new items they added)

1 Like

I have to admit, my only other real MMO experience would be WoW, and it does take ages to level-up from 1 to 120, but that’s… kinda unavoidable, at this point. The game is old and has so many expansions…
But I mean, if you compare WoW’s leveling from say 90 to 120 (the more ‘recent and modern’ expansions), I’d say it’s waaaaay better than Boundless.
Leveling is a grind, but WoW’s is structured with quests, events, cinematics, sometimes you get in vehicules that give you a different set of abilities… point is, WoW’s modern leveling is overall enjoyable.
I’d say Boundless is 95% grinding, and 5% structured with the journal’s objectives.

4 Likes

I totally see what you guys are talking about. I haven’t hit a new level in OSRS in like 2 years lol, but I don’t mind the grind there either. I love fishing, questing, etc. Lots to do - never gets boring.

I concur on this point. My MMO experience is extremely deep. I think I may have played almost every major AAA mmo to date, and most of them to max level or raid-level.

Boundless without the economy is mind-bendingly hard. Like, you cannot believe how hard it is to get enough gems to get your first coil. I stumbled into a decaying build and found roughly, 3 advanced coils of each type and that was the best day of my life in the game. But I never took advantage of them until I had money, resources and knowledge. Just having the resources isn’t enough.

Once you have the economy, ie, other players, the game is super super easy. I think i’m on my 4th or 5th skill page on HR. Bismuth is brand new and on their 2nd or 3rd skill page. Its crazy! Bismuth hasn’t even left Grovidias Te!

So yes, the game levels super super fast when you are not solo - but the disparate experience is challenging for players. The game also doesn’t even remotely begin until you hit 50. There isn’t a story, or journey. So its “grind until you hit 50, then have fun”.

I hit level 50 on my own in less than two months & figured out how to make coils really quick, but it doesn’t seem like that’s very common. :woman_shrugging: I also did not participate in the economy for quite awhile.

1 Like

Y’know, I just had a crazy thought (and I’d be surprised if nobody had ever thought about it before) but what if you could get other things than cubits, coins and skill points in the coffers you collect in the Exchange?
What if you could get… I dunno, some random building mats like bounding agent, oortshards, sap, metals, gems? Maybe some unforged tools? Of course, depending on the thing, there would be various levels of rarity and maybe they could be thematically tied to some activities like a coffer awarded for mining could yield some minerals/gems.
I mean, currently, I couldn’t care less about the coffers I don’t get by leveling-up. I press the “quick-collect all” button and done. But what if they could yield actual cool things?

Point is, WoW does that. When you’re 120, you do world quests, you get rewards for each individual world quest. Once you did 4 world quests tied to a zone, bam, special super reward.
Not saying that it’s the best system ever, but it’s better than nothing.

2 Likes

true that i just got back into it my self and they gave me a level 110 “token” if i could i would toss it in the vitual trash or sell it leveling in WoW is someting i really enjoy cuz with the levels comes the story and lore of the game someting boundless is lacking

this ^ its worse then overwatch form the context of the game (pretending the forums dont exist) we dont know who we are what we are doing who the guy in that odd room we start of is how we are able to power light tech without the need for energy or even why we are building on what appears to be uninhabited worlds in the first place.

i get story is not eveything and minecraft being the grandfather of the genre has 0 story has well but its also alot more simplistic and did not really need a story. boundless just really feels lacking without one

I’ve never played MC, but I always assumed it had some level of ‘hidden’ Lore.
I mean, there are games that were made around it.

it kind of did once “the end” released you got a cut scene with some text after killing the ender dragon but that was a good 3+ years after “launch”