What turns you off playing Boundless?

I do find the market and footfall being kind of a way to implement that, builders selling things or getting coins from footfall by people ‘admiring’ their builds, then going to players that sell materials to build more.

But then this is economy, and there always will be people not happy with it xD

2 Likes

smile Just saying that there could be a better way of balancing play styles so I don’t have to hunt and you don’t have build. (I couldn’t survive on footfall or the meager amount of stuff I sell.)

1 Like

I haven’t been playing Boundless long but I do totally agree about the chat issue. I have played a LOT of mmos and even Ever quest way back on ps2 had a better chat system. More recently I have played a few with voice chat in the actual game (and yes some were cross platform so it is possible), which really helps at times. Even a permanent chat box would be nice though, but there would also need to be a setting to make the text larger for it to really do me much good lol…

I don’t mind hunting too much and gathering for me is fun except for one thing… Tools don’t last all that long. I totally get the not being able to repair because the economy aspect but it is hard to save up coins to buy higher tier tools because I have to replace the lower (titanium atm) so often. I love building, has not been easy though as getting the stuff I want to use takes either higher tier tools or a lot more coin than I have.

I really like the game and plan to be here for a long time but chat issues and always trying to buy a new tool every day (at least) is a bit of a turn off for me.

On the happier side I love the community, everyone has honestly been so helpful with all my newbie questions and no one has made me feel dumb for asking :smile_cat: which I have encountered in so many other games.

1 Like

omg dont get me started the chat in this game needs to be fixed.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I relaunched boundless to play it. and I must admit being disappointed with the experience offered by the game today.

-the often radical change in gameplay.
like for example the system of reclaim. set up to satisfy unhappy people, did that bring more players into the game in the end???

-the lack of novelty useful to old players.

-the time spent developing the sovereign worlds instead of improving the agriculture, design and terraforming of each world.

-the absence of evolution in the gameplay has been around for a long time now. since all this time the meteorite falls have not changed, nothing new or really exciting … ( the events are no longer expected, because in the end they only offer the creation of a few decorative items, without changing the gameplay)

-How many cities have been created, developed and then collapsed only because there was nothing other than meteorite hunting ?! today you have enabled the creative mode but it should not be a feature in itself, just a natural gameplay associated with this kind of game.

-The most worrying seems to be the lack of ideas to develop the game. What are we going to do with the shields and melee weapons? use them in meteor hunts, which players only do because it’s the only way to get portal fuel and not because it’s exciting and fun to do after over a thousand hours .(after a few hours it must be recognized that chasing meteorites is as boring as mining in straight lines with forged hammers. [yes I still regret the disappearance of mining with bombs]

from an awesome and exhilarating game you have made it a game of growing boredom.

only the ingenuity of certain players has brought great adventure to this game.
despite everything I like boundless, more for the people who play it and the meetings I have been able to make there than for the game itself.

have fun in life^^

4 Likes

I appreciate that this is a work around, and not a fix ( #itil ) however this has basically save my bacon more often than not:

Longer chat message visibility mod.

Appreciate the suggestion, but i’ve looked at that mod before and it wasn’t what I wanted. My problem is with all the colors of chat and the blocks at the background, it’s hard to read chat quite often. I want to have the actual chatbox (the whole chat UI when you’re typing in something) to stay open at all times, so I can have the chatbox background a set color making chat easier to read. Will prob help your issue as well, since it’ll just keep the last few messages stuck there.

2 Likes

This is the kind of thing that I talk about when I speak (generally, about all games) about having zero multi-monitor support.

I know that a lot of PC gamers have a shitty old monitor somewhere, and quite often (in any type of game that I can think of) a second screen for a mini-map, chat (incl. audio/video), inventory … whatever … would be amazing.

1 Like

I happen to love grapples and it’s what keeps me playing. I just turned 43 and I don’t have any problems using them. May I recommend a forged diamond or emerald grapple with maxed longevity and your skill maxed? It makes a heap of difference.
They’re the main point I make to new players about this game over minecraft…

1 Like

I’m having trouble getting back into boundless for multiple reasons. I really like playing, but there are just things missing in my opinion and that makes it a little daunting or depressing.

1. Farming right now is daunting for me. I enjoy it, but I really dont want to spend all my free time sowing and reaping crops, but I also want a fully stocked paint shop because it’s fun to see all the colors. I wish there was some type of helper you could craft and fuel that would automate the cutting of crops, sowing, and fertilizing them. That way I could do more managing stock of seeds, fueling workers, and managing my shop with its stock.

2. I wish fertilizer mattered, it’s just so time consuming when it doesnt even last the crops whole life. It stops if it fails to grow to next level.

3. I wish there was a way to populate my plots with creatures and npcs to give them life, whether they just patrol like guards, or do activities like farm/fill machines/or populate rooms so they are not just empty rooms. It would be nice if you could equip these npcs with gear to look like soldiers or scientists or farmers or anything. Just life in general, areas just feel so vacuous and empty.

4. I wish there was way more life to the universe. Meaning astronomical bodies. Binary stars, pulsars, black holes, or actual solar systems. Something to liven up space and the night sky. Make planets rotate around a star, they can still appear in the sky but some sort of order would be facinating.

5. There is no real action in the game. We have meteor hunts but they are basically the same for all planets. They just get harder based on tier and element. Which is okay, but after years of playing I’m just looking for ways to make combat interesting and fun again. Whether that’s new species, other hostile sentient species, out of control robots, or something cooler that I cant think of. It would be nice to have real combat strategies for scenarios where people come together to overcome. Not just meteors that are basically unchanged from when the game launched.

6. More resources/products. There are only so many resources and products in the game with meshes. It would be nice to have more variety. A lot of shops are similar. A lot of shops sell the same stuff. And there are malls the size of planets that cant maintain stock due to one reason the other. It just makes things feel less populated. Not that I’m faulting anyone, just it kinda feels empty when I do get on and I rarely see anyone and shops are sold out.

7. It would be nice to be able to have pets and breed them for different qualities. Whether based on stats, or whether resistances, or just for zoos/ranching. They could be for looks, they could be for builds, they could be for fighting, or riding.

8. There is not much reason to go to peoples’ builds because there isn’t really anything to interact with except shop stands and request baskets. There isn’t any moveable parts or interesting lore people have been able to make due to the lack of moving blocks or automation. Hidden doors, traps, books, paper, items that are interactable, light switches. You cant make intriguing stories on your plots without the right mechanics to do so. And that only happens if the devs put the time into it.

9. The slowing down of updates. I haven’t played in a while, but since I’ve been gone, nothing has really changed. No new gameplay items or processes to peak interest. It just feels like boundless isn’t getting love anymore. It might be, but I’m just not seeing it. I know they worked on planets which was huge, and they are working on private servers now. But the game itself, the core of it, hasn’t been updated for a while.

This is just me talking guys, I’m not upset. Just wish I could get back into boundless. Having trouble with the points above.

10 Likes

I agree with all of your points, and I would absolutely love NPC-based automation. I’m not burnt out on Boundless yet, but I can see it on the horizon. Your suggestions and feeback are where I will be soon (though I’m going to slow down play soon because I need some action that hunts doesn’t provide)

Have you been to my build: The Wizard's Tower Ruins? I used signs to build a little bit of a narrative. It was… not easy, and having to use signs to build a narrative like that is both very difficult and immersion breaking for the user. I want to build experiences, not just static structures.

5 Likes

So, about this one:

See, that’s just one person … and if you didn’t interact with this wonderful community, you might never have found it.

@Ovis has been making interactive stuff for a while, now … and I’m building some things that do the same based on some of his ideas, and some of my own. I’m sure we’re not alone!

If you build it … well … they might not come because they’re disillusioned … but still … you’ll have built it.

Not saying this to argue with you, I’m sure you’re good … but if you ever wanna come back in, shoot me a DM on here and we can go find some stuff to do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have not yet, but I will take a look for it the next time I jump onto boundless. I had so many ideas for my planetarium and observatories, but without movable parts and parchment or paper that people can read and interact with, it makes setting up a planetary museum hard to lay out with signs. I’d like to put facts and info about planets but it takes so much room. That was my original ideas anyways.

Yeah ovis is awesome with his creations, and when I did play more intensively I did play with people on hunts and community events like gleambow. I was meaning more in the day to day passing or chating with strangers on boundless just because it’s fun. A lot of physical areas feel empty. The community itself is great and I have spent time with people for sure. I think I was just trying to explain the overall feel of the environment for planets, not so much individual events.

I didn’t mean that people didn’t have cool and interesting builds. Just that there is a missing element without those game mechanics.

I’m sure I’ll get back into it eventually.

2 Likes

I wasn’t going to respond to this, but you guys have hit real close to home on some of my feelings…I started playing Minecraft with my kids when they were very young. They are adults now, and I in turn am old, lol. Boundless hit very nostalgic feelings, while also hitting entirely new notes. I appreciate that it has many things MC does not, but agree that things like npc’s and “redstone” type circuitry (which have been around in MC for over a decade) would improve the experience by leaps and bounds :thinking:

2 Likes

I used to play Minecraft tekkit on a private server with my tf2 clan. Hm that was… 2011? It was a good year.

I bought Minecraft last November to have something else to play and experiment with.

I believe it was removed from the in-game menu as it breached some T&C’s with Steam

1 Like

I think that’s one of the main reasons discord exists; it’s an optional secondary scren for MANY games. Having a built in second screen would limit people who cannot use it, especially those on PS4. Also, when BUTT was working and other information sites, those were pretty much secondary screen things. Instead of needing to pop up the knowledge tab every time you want to see how to craft X or Y, just look it up on the Boundless Info site. Honestly that kind of addition would only slow down progress that could be made in other areas which also requiring people to run 2 monitors.

Now if they pulled off some sort of multibox support, I’d be interested in the two screen idea, but as it stands there are so many things you could run on 2-5+ screens as it is I don’t see why they should/would put more time/people/money into something as such. - release titans, more monsters/combat features. Maybe some gear; they need to review the Oort Online handguide post that’s on here and try to fill in what is missing off of that.

Lack of deeper MMO content:

2 Likes

This is not intended to be an open discussion thread on other players opinions of what turns them off from playing Boundless. Keep those types of discussions and any ideas stemming from them contained to the rest of the forums please.

53 posts were split to a new topic: What turns you off Boundless sideways discussion #396