What would entice players to still Play?

I wonder if an elite blinkstrike cuttletrunk mount would fit in a 1x2 portal? Would that require an Oortstone saddle?

1 Like

One can dream of some crazy animal forge husbandry system…

I got pretty spoiled from playing games like final fantasy 7 and the chochobo breeding system and then later the one in ark.

3 Likes

speaking of ark and pets… I’d love to have a Rock drake in boundless

3 Likes

I’m not trying to open the forbidden can of worms marked “universe wipe” but it would be so exciting to be able to have a meaningful fresh start in a new/young universe.

Perhaps a parallel universe with a new race of settlers, entirely detached from the existing universe? Maybe even a story mode or campaign narrative to build off of along the way?

Edit: I just want to feel that same excitement and wonder of setting foot in a new universe for the first time on Launch day. The community race to progress, establish infrastructure, trade, and future settlements. Maybe even to make a few new discoveries along the way.

2 Likes

Dude how dope would it be if there were categories of features with long lists of variations that are only unlocked through breeding. I’m not familiar with FF7 or Ark so maybe it’s like this but I’m picturing some kind of progression along these lines (percentages are arbitrary):

1- Tame a wildstock so it’s like a ‘tamestock’. Let’s just say we can only tame the regular little ones. The only variation in the beginning is their color from the planet they’re on.

2- Have it mate with another. Run a tiny RNG on every feature so it’ll most likely come out the same. If they’re the same color, there’s a 99% chance the offspring will be too, and 1% it varies slightly. Different colors result in a shade between them, with RNG giving possible variation. Also gives a rare chance of a stout stock.

3- After enough breeding, when new features manifest, we can target those features by breeding with those that have them. Breeding those same features again results in higher chance of the same or an even more exaggerated version (think DuPonts, Habsburgs etc :sweat_smile:) while the opposite of that feature opens it up for a higher chance of averaging out or discovering something new.

4- The offspring can only be the next size up if both parents are the same size. They can only breed with the next size up/down and in that case will be 50/50 on the two sizes.

So there would be a chart of possible features with variant trees. Regular stocks might only have short/long variants on horns, claws, tails, while stouts could have short/medium/long, mighties have 3 lengths but can be straight or curled, and so on. There can be different body patterns, ears, and eyes to make them cuter or more fierce looking.

And I know a lot of people will hate this idea, but ideally they have life cycles and die at the end, which not only lightens the server load when people quit playing (a la portal fuel and beacons) but adds a level of immersion that requires us to care for them and continue breeding.

2 Likes

Definitely no wipe, but I think this concept is great and can do well.

Temporary, detached universe, presented by the devs as some sort of community challenge. The devs will set up various milestones/objectives (preferably new UI and mechanism ingame, but even if manually tracked, this still can be fun), and everyone will start from scratch if they join this universe.

It can behave like the normal universe, or it can be modified in such a way to add unique challenges and goals. For example, a normal Boundless universe, but there’s 1 special exoworld with max world size (instead of the usual size), and the objective is to mine out the entire planet, leaving only the mantle.

Then to motivate players to actually play on it, it can give reward on the main universe. Continuing the example, there can be individual reward for mining X amount of blocks in the parallel exo planet, and maybe an unique trophy deco for player with the most mined exo block.

2 Likes

Come next patch you will have infinite new universes

Its sort of like this

2 Likes

That there are no :cookie: s to hand out D:

I would not let them die , I would let the parents die after mating a couple of times.
If you actually breed a cool pet there will be a limit to how many you can get ( makes them more rare ) and as long as you do not breed it it will last forever …

Otherwise it will be as the prestige flowers , hardly see any being used anymore …

Anyhow , my 2 cents :grin:

2 Likes

I like that even more. Each time it breeds it gets older. Maybe matures to the bigger size after breeding?

I would not change the outlook of the parents as they mature … just have them die after mating 3 times or so.

Like your original post in point 2 , just have the chance for them to go 1 size up when bred

2 Likes

Interesting idea… tho I would prefer them to die over time for two reasons, one being to lower server cluttering as @DutchOfSorissi mentioned, the other being so that with your ‘pets’ dying over time, it becomes a constant demand for them instead of just being one time things where there’s no more demand once you have what you want, so people can make money selling their breeds. Just got to find a sweet spot where it doesn’t feel too short or too long on how long they live.
Or we could have to ‘feed’ them and they’ll live as long as they’re fed and not overbred. Make actual use of farm crops like rice, wheat and oats as pet food.

Maybe add more functions to these pets as well, from ridable mounts to having your pets follow you around and help in combat? Add some skills on this, like an tamer epic or something that allows you to have more pets following you at once into combat.

Another idea on getting bigger sizes would be have them gain levels. Let them gain exp from both combat and looking after them like feeding, grooming ect. Gain enough levels and they ‘grow’ into a larger size.

1 Like

Extra storage for when you go to an Exo? :laughing:

The timeframe would be the most impact on this , I want to be able to go on vacation for a couple of weeks without them dying on me …Otherwise I will not bother with them ( like the prestige crops )

It is to be compared with lootsticks no … once you have one you would not need an other one and still they are being made and sold continuously …

And if they are to follow on a hunt , would that not be confusing on what mobs are meteor mobs and witch ones are pets ? would need a totally new mob as pet then …

Maybe what you feed them impacts what job they do … feed em yams so wildstock can be milked
Feed em kranuts if ya want a fighter and so on … or corruption to mount it …

I like thinking about pet systems :joy:

Or if the parents do die out just cap how many you are allowed to own not to crowd the servers … like a flock of 5 maybe

1 Like

I’d agree with the extra storage when going to exo’s Geesh its a lot of money and little storage :stuck_out_tongue: but I can live with what we have now. :slight_smile:

But I also heard about the private servers. I don’t think private servers would be a good idea. My only reason is that the economy would go down hill. There would be no economy. That’s how I feel. Now, IDK if there is a way around all that but hey if you guys do find a way I’m all for it.

Actual game development (not this lame imitation we have now) and growing player base.

1 Like

just this really

So am patiently waiting enjoying everything they throw at us in the mean time :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nah its the tale as old as time…

“soon™”

2 Likes

Here, some more details on those features coming “soon”

For the whole page

5 Likes

When all these mobs are added we’ll forget they ever didn’t exist.

I think modding will be a big leap forward toward future updates too. Minecraft’s entire villager system was created by modders.

3 Likes

I read this as “Titans can be found on exo worlds and the first group that gets there is going to take them down so good luck may your timezone be ever in your favor”

I honestly feel when those come out people are going to be all pissed that the active groups get them and its going to be “nenernenernener get gud, play more or have no life”

In anycase:

2 Likes