What would make you build/play more

I was thinking about what would make me build more, I find myself building slides because they are fun, and was thinking that I want more blocks that effect movement, like standing on a road, traveling the path that the builder created.

8 Likes

Good topic :slight_smile:

Iā€™d build more if structures had some purpose and requirements. Basically what I described in this topic: Distribution structures

Short version: network of structures that would be used to distribute various services between players. E.g. a player having crafting skills maxed out could offer crafting from his station but depending on broadcast tower he makes it only covers certain area. Broadcast towers can only cover certain area but you can use extenders which you build away to promote your service in another area etc.

8 Likes

Ladders, better looking decro blocks, Redstone-type machines (I want to make my own vault doors), NPC Oortian vendors instead of shop stands, and settlement defense turrets (cause I want to make military bases on hostile worlds).

Canā€™t think of anything else right now. But more functional stuff in general would be nice.

8 Likes

more functional stuff

^^ I raise up this point.

In the game Dragon Quest Builders they do some interesting thingsā€¦although I donā€™t know if they take it to the right level to make it an awesome game.

One concept they introduce is for builders, which I think would fit in this MMORPG style world. If you build something, and it meets certain specs (in their case # of beds, # of windows, # of other things) then it becomes a type of room. You can make an armory to arm your citizens when the town is attacked, ect.

While much of this tactic is employed to give the single player experience a multiplayer/team feel, I think it would be cool for builders to use in a way that hasnā€™t been introduced yet.

In every building game (even Minecraft) buildings are pointless husks that hold BLOCKS that have power.

I.E. ā†’ ā€œThis is my crafting house! It is a shell around my crafting blocks, and no matter the shell, the crafting blocks still work, so I made it look like this!ā€

It would be cool if builders could make blocks that require more then their placement to function. They required a building built around them, and that building then had a purpose. The blueprints for these buildings would be invaluable, as non-builders would want to have the ā€˜effectsā€™ but might not want to figure out how to build them and make them look nice.

A basic example:

A hospital: There is no block in the game currently that heals you, or helps you deal with the environmental effects that are coming in the game. This multi-block structure would give you the option to be healed (coin cost) and would also , (depending on how it is built) also offer limited, short term protection from some environmental typesā€¦and heal any lingering environmental effects.

That is a service ^^ There are not always going to be ways to offer services in the game, other then having a player next to you. Imbuing structures with purpose via services, allows for towns to have more meaning and a diverse requirement of buildings.

Right now, a settlement is made up of ā€¦houses and stores. We only need so many housesā€¦and so many stores. Buildings need purpose so that Settlements can have direction in which to grow into.

Just my 2 cents.

13 Likes

To add to the above ^

Certain building types could require settlement sizes in order to even function or to increase their function.

So, as players gather and create capitals and huge citiesā€¦builders would be able to unlock functions of those builds to make their effects more potent.

6 Likes

I really like the ideas of
moving blocks, powered roads like a moving walkway,
red stone like powered moving blocks,
constructable npc vendors,
and defense turrets.
Also with the possible atmosphere hazards, I wondered if we will need machines to create safe atmospheres inside buildings so characters without atmosphere skills can visit buildings on toxic atmosphere planets through portals?
I also really like the idea of rooms with certain requirements to build them and a special important function the room then provides. Possibly healing room, repair room for tools/weapons, power room for charging batteries, portal room? Armor room for building armor , furniture room for makingā€¦furniture, Enchanting room! For starting heated discussions.

4 Likes

Further improved natural lighting and shadow and their interaction with objects and surfaces. The natural lighting is already very nice and interesting, but I think improving it is the key to add life to many builds.

I love how the twilight on Therka plays with compact iron walls:

It reminded me of the Wallace Corp. scene from Blade Runner 2049.

If more blocks interact like that, and natural light and shadow would be even more dynamic and realistic, I can see myself and others creating builds for the sole purpose of creating interesting light and shadow effects.

13 Likes

I did make a post talking about how NPCā€™s would work, and it did have some very good ideas suggested about what there purpose is.

2 Likes

I made a suggestion for NPCs once but was told right away NPCs had been ruled out long ago.
So I like it and support the idea when someone else suggests it.

1 Like

I just posted this in another topic, but itā€™s relevant here too: longer lasting / unbreakable / repairable tools. The rate at which I consume tools is the main thing that kills my desire to gather resources and build cool stuff.

3 Likes

Few more colors like black, blue,
more types of blocks,
water that allowed light glow or light Emittance,
thinner glass blocks or super thin lined frames/ or no frames and very slightly opaque so it can still render.

2 Likes

Personally, I am a huge fan of the Tekkit / Feed the Beast mods for minecraft. I love building machines and complicated processes. If we had more machines that did different things and could semi automate it, I would love it!

6 Likes

Hmm started thinking that rather then 1000000 different colored blocks, I would be more willing to build with more blocks closer to black white red yellow blue orange purple green (8 blocks) for each building material. Because if we had 100 of each building material, storage would be a pain.

I think I would like it more if the wild areas changed over time, terrain and resources, but the biome is the same.

Airships and Titans. I know theyā€™re planned but it would give me even more of a reason to play if I could fly around in some sort of airship. If we can make our own airship designs, then Iā€™d make it look like a Starcraft Protoss Carrier or Terran Battlecruiserā€¦ cause well they look awesome. lol

That way I could say in a horrible Russian accent ā€œBattlecruiser operationalā€¦ā€ lol

8 Likes

More decorative stuff, lights, new biomes, usefull blocks, like moving platforms and etc.

2 Likes

Bigger hospitals bigger benefits

Small town hospital - small benefit

I like it +1

1 Like

Smaller patches released more often

This:

And the certainty that my build will stay. (Iā€™m looking at you big 1.0 wipe.)

4 Likes

The ability for non hunters to be able to acquire gems other than buying them, which is prohibitively expensive if you want to mass craft. Not everyone wants to or are able to go on community hunts and when I first bought this game I was under the impression that you could build a character that would be able to go mining for gems. To a lesser degree you are able to but in reality it is a complete waste of time. The last time I tried I used a level 50 character and traveled from Therka to Andooweem to look for diamonds, after 6-7 hours of mining and going through 3 gem hammers I came away with just over 60 diamonds, some coal, and the usual variety of metal ores. So basically, apart from the metals, the diamonds and coal got cancelled out simply from replacing the three gem hammers I had used up. Not a very productive use of time especially when you look at what a group of hunters would be able to get in half the time.

1 Like

mobs lose gem drops and I hope so do meteorites - I havent checked on testing

1 Like