What would make you build/play more

I would like the ability to sell entire propertys directly to another player, plots & all. I think that would be inspiration to build some awesome structures & fill them with goodies.

7 Likes

Items for your build that do things, like:
A drawbridge that raises and lowers,
A portcullis that raises and lowers,
Windmill that turns,
Red stone like pistons to push/pull other blocks,
A healing chamber, perhaps a floor and ceiling block you stand on or between the blocks and a beam heals you (you already have this with a beam that damages)

6 Likes

Maybe as a top-tier crafting station, I’d like a device that took all of my… excess junk, and processed it into something I actually wanted.

I have enough Metamorphic Rocks to build an entire separate planet. Even if the device required fuel and converted at an awful ratio, I’d be more than happy to throw about 40 or 50 smart stacks into that grinder and see what comes out.

2 Likes

Better/more accurate ways of locating gems … the atlases are fantastic and very useful but because they don’t update regularly enough and are a bit vague in terms of accuracy it can still be a real grind trying to find certain gems. I quite often find myself what feels like being stuck behind a rolling road block in terms of finding key resources to be able to make something which is needed to make something else so instead of actually playing the game and enjoying doing the things I’d like to do I find myself on what seems like an endless quest just looking for stuff to be able to do something else.

1 Like

What would genuinely make me play and build more of the game would be more actual flesh on certain activities.

Ill break it down to make it an easier read:

Crafting, right now we have a crafting loop that consists of grinding out materials, putting them into a machine, and then having x amount of time till they are crafted. This kind of distanced crafting is in itself somewhat boring. since its just wait x hours. it encourages you to go out and gather more materials, But that already feels like a grind at times (some people do enjoy the grind) what i would prefer to see is a more interactive crafting system. For example, on weapons and tools, instead of putting the materials into a flashing box (admittedly i like the machine models) why not have an actual station, like a blacksmiths forge that you as the player stand in. at this forge you can interact with your inventory or a set storage container on the forge, and you pull out the raw metal bars, and shape them with an actual hammer (can be done as a heat up the metal phase, then hammer the “hot spots” phase, then a dunk into a liquid of some sort) now maybe this process requires you to do stuff for a minute or two, and there would be no way to bulk craft this way, it would be making individual tools or weapons by hand. maybe that gives a bonus durability, or extra effects, maybe you can make it look unique. in my mind this would be a better way to incorporate gems in item crafting, since obtaining hundreds of a single resource is annoying enough, maybe making a gem infusion to add that gems property to a metal tool, or even a gem socket in that tool that others can then stick enchanted gems, made by another crafting station even, into for even more enhanced effects. it would add more variety as well as actual gameplay for crafters.

Combat, right now we are missing one of the three proposed weapons and it is its own style of combat, but the game feels like we are missing so much more. where is the armor, the shields, the strange devices and decoys, some of these may be coming into the game with rage and focus, but what even is rage and focus, is it going to be its own style of combat, or added on to the others?
I feel like we are missing a lot in the way of weapon choices and combat styles, and for a game that has this much combat (honestly i went walking around solum and there wasn’t more that a minute where i wasn’t fighting some creature) only having 3 ways of doing it is pretty spartan. now i believe this can be helped by adding a bit of side variety to each weapon type. for slingbows you already have gem bows that do different things, effectively giving you shotguns, and snipers and machine gun style bows. this sort of works, except that you need to find enough (or buy enough) of the gem to make a slingbow from it, instead being able to craft the ability into the weapon regardless of material would be nice, if you are into shotguns, then make all of your slingbows scatterbows. if you are more about precision then make them snipe, etc but its up to the player that way, not up to if they can find the right gem. expanding bombs to be a bigger variety would also help, we have healing bombs, why not sleep bombs, why not charm bombs, weakness bombs. why call them all bombs? couldnt we throw potion vials? why make it a bomb skill and not throwing, with a throwing skill you have the ability to toss these bombs and potions and powders, but also maybe daggers or axes. gives another type of fighting skill in the same branch. With Lance, why just lance? why even lance? why not sword, maybe it is kind of common but i prefer the idea of swords to lances (just my opinion) so why not make that a melee skill, and give us battleaxes and warhammers (40k) Scythes even, those would all really spice up some combat fun times. and make even a party of all melee users feel different. and armor and shields are a must, not just for looks because the art style is amazing and i want to customize everything in the gorgeous world.

Gadgets: we need more gadgets, adding the atlas was a good start, but more things that you can just use as one off technology would be such a cool way to just fiddle with things. maybe a structure in a box or something, 1 plot sized building that you make and then shrink into a cube and can toss out when you need it. for those emergency shelter needs. or a protective bubble, you toss it out and for a minute it protects you from the environmental effects. things like that, or decoys to attract monsters in the area.

But most of what is needed is community, the game is getting closer and closer to being a living breathing community WITHOUT going to the forums, and that is what i needs to be. there needs to be in game mail, easy in game chat systems and friend systems, guilds and groups, all accessible without leaving the game. Granted this all seems like its on the way, but its one of the things stopping me and my 4 friends from playing at the moment.

Soon players will be able to max out skills on one character (granted one player can already do this via 3 characters it just takes forever) but this will make certain skills and abilities almost moot, like the abilites that generate threat or reduce it. if everyone can get both of those… why have them? they will conflict each other. or the armors and damage resists, once everyone has them it just becomes the new norm, among other skills that are great to have split up among a group, but lose their feel once you all have them. My suggestion is in continuation with the combat, assign these skills and abilites to armor types. big heavy noisy armor makes threat, light quiet armor doesn’t, one has better ability to protect etc. make this gear use the same tiers of items that you already have in place to keep the worlds balanced. that way the entire system seems to flow off of the planets sustaining the players, instead of skill and planets sustaining the player. and again it adds more stuff for crafters to make, more items for customization.

Unfortunately all of my suggestions are probably pretty code and effort heavy. but they are my honest suggestions and opinions, i want to end on a different note though, this game is amazing, i have been playing on and off (409 hours) since it was Oort online, and i have enjoyed the vast majority of my time in game, the devs are the best devs i have ever seen when it comes to player interaction and feedback, you are all amazing, keep up the fantastic work.

1 Like

rage and focus is here! :wink:

shields are here in the form of skills at the moment, and foods like shielding and element shielding foods.

forge incoming

surely you would make a choice about what you want?
also, a note about maxing out one character, we don’t yet know what form this will take, and whether you will be able to access all skills on one character at the same time.

On the topic of shields I would really like ones that look and are used like those in dark souls, something visible instead of an invisible skill.

Yeah rage and focus are already in game, you are correct, i did not read that update, have since gone and looked into both skills and they augment the combat skills as they are but are not stand alone combat skills. so my point remains the same. variety in the combat or at least a wider “feel” for the combat skills will go a long way.

Forge is indeed incoming. you have all the stats and numbers on what the forge does or doesn’t do? i don’t have that on hand so unable to add anything to the “forge incoming”

Surely someone would respond to the entirety of a post and not just 3 bullet points :slight_smile: (no offense or hostility meant, just making a joke) but just because people assume that everyone will behave one way does not make them actually behave that way. so we shall see what the dyslexic, young or tired person does, or how many people make the mistake to grab both thinking there is a toggle or some other reason. (my reason for bringing up dyslexia is one of my friends who plays has it and has many times purchased the wrong thing thinking it was something else.)

As i read it and understand it, maxing out a character means 100% of all skills purchased (i may be wrong, if so clarify away) which would make certain skills make less sense as skills and more as items. and in a game about crafting, building and harvest/mining/finding items. more is often better. so some of the things that make less sense as skills, could instead be an item, giving us more stuff. i like this approach and say as much.

shields as a skill isn’t a “Shield” as in an “a broad piece of metal or another suitable material, held by straps or a handle attached on one side, used as a protection against blows or missiles” this is what I’m referring to. my apologies for any confusion.

1 Like

Somehow I missed this, but reading it now makes me so happy!

Has anyone played Fortresscraft Evolved? It excels in automation/assembly line crafting/building. I would love to see some of this in Boundless. It would certainly encourage me to build more.

2 Likes

Or, if you want to witness the ultimate in automated crafting and construction…

Factorio

You know you’re winning that game once it starts to play itself.

6 Likes

More planets!

3 Likes

More planets!

3 Likes

More planets (connected to Nasharil)!

3 Likes