What's happening with DK Mall?

Though it would be important to have a good discussion platform (like a dedicated Discord server) where nothing is done in the dark, and everybody is kept in the loop, and where everybody can be reached, with rules clearly put in place, with things like a ‘3 strikes system’ before having your shop removed, etc etc.

If the people in charge have a solid guideline and rules in place, then there is no issue.

I mean, that’s already pretty much how it works in the survival universe, except mall owners don’t have the power to actually execute threats, so at worst, they can try to wall your shop in. So much better!
They can still very well make you leave by being incredibly annoying.

The main thing is that you have to find a mall where the owner is ready to delegate and who won’t make decisions without notifying the rest of the mall team first.

2 Likes

Would people go for something on a Sovereign where the shop didn’t require any work at all - where building effort was actually sort of discouraged? :thinking:

Idea is, an open air market on an area of strata slice on a T1. 3x3 limit in size, if you want footfall can stick some prestige blocks or make rooms underground, but no walls/barriers on the surface. Pick plot(s) wherever you can closest to the portal in - or make your own portal in if you want - and freely run around an open stretch of market. If you want to put down a dozen plinths and nothing else, great! If it got reclaimed for inactivity, you haven’t lost hardly any work.

As a buyer, an area where I could run freely to lots of plinths without any obstructions seems like it would be very appealing, I’m more about functionality than looks.

6 Likes

I think nobody should be forced to extra get specific social media to become part of a group project. I see the benefit, but I wouldn’t like to be forced to get discord or share my discord that is only for private real life usage. I myself have discord, but as example, I don’t have or like Facebook. Nobody should force me to get it, and yet I would still like to be part in a project in game. Discord and boundless that’s different platforms. If anything, then it should be an extra mall exclusive guild.

Also, why a 3 strikes system when it’s about activity. If it’s about rule breaking ok. But if a person is not active AND can not remain a shop filled, then there’s no discussion. Contact the mall owner and vice versa the owner the shop owner. If it’s impossible to reach out, give a certain time limit and if there’s still silence then yeah should be removed

1 Like

Yeah but then, how do we reach you? On the forum? If you’re not on the forum? We just wait for you to be available in-game?

Yeah, I meant it as an anti-rule-breaking system. :wink:

2 Likes

Forum, mall guild, a discord should be just optional. A planet owner can contact people without them being part of a guild. They just need to be visitor

In-game communication in Boundless is just terrible, and depends entirely on you being there in-game.
The forum is better, but not everybody is there either, and it’s not really THE platform to handle a group project within Boundless (hence why a lot of guilds handle their management on Discord).

3 Likes

Gyosha Mall 4 Life!!!

Also… @DaOne82
tenor

3 Likes

So you know i have the Starlight Mall. Formerly the BrownTown Mall. I have exactly what you mention a guild just for Mall Shop Owners. No Buffs or anything just a place Shop owners can join to communicate to each other or if I want to welcome a new shop to the group type of thing. It works for the most part but there are a few shop owners that don’t join it and unless they friended me i have no way of communicating with them. I have a couple who got plots put a floor in but nothing else. After no contact I just blocked the main access to the shop. They can still get to their plot if they decide they want to actually have a shop with stuff to sell. They just have to drop me a line and poof barrier is gone. But the Shop guild for communication only does help.

1 Like

I saw this design of yours and now I do it with my glass roofs. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have to agree with you, especially when it’s high up in the air. Some of us have fear of heights, that affects them even in game.
In the old Legendville, they had glass floors and it used to scare me to pieces. And now in the new expansion of DK Mall, they have black glass floors between builds. That’s a nope.

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth. I have an extra Sovereign that I wanted to gift to my roommate. Put in the request about 2 months ago. Nothing. Also equally pointless to ask for the Sov to be shut down.

1 Like

When I think about it, @Goblinounours mentioned how to reach out to people… but you don’t need to if everything is fine and they keep their stock. Nobody says they need to be very active in game. Even one hour a week would be enough to get in touch with them. Everyone that is longer gone is most likely on a break and surely can’t keep their stock. So even that problem is solved. If you go on a break, just let people know and things can be avoided. We are all humans and real-life comes first. It will be understood if you go on a break, just communicate. Communication is the key - then one also does not need to worry about sovereigns. That way, with the mall guild, even homeworld malls can function, -if everyone plays along the rules.

The problem again with Sovereign malls is someone can just kick/ban you because they don’t like you for whatever the reason. Maybe it’s past drama, word of mouth, etc. However it does solve the griefing problem though.

2 Likes

That is assuming everything goes well. But I think it’s better to assume things will go wrong, and to have ways to deal with issues when that happens.

If someone goes on a break without notifying anyone, then you’re gonna need a place to leave a trace of that, to write “@[shop-owner] has not filled his stock in 2 weeks.” followed by “in [X amount of time], if that hasn’t changed, we will take [Y action]”.

Personally, I still think having a discord is a good idea. If someone doesn’t want to use it, that’d be their issue, they won’t be kept in the loop when things happens while they’re on break. But for those who want to use that tool, they could have access to a feed of new shops added/removed in the mall, new improvements made, new alleys built, maybe a map, and a set of guidelines/rules.
You’d be able to have a @MallOwners role so that people can notify everybody who’s in charge of the mall (not just the main owner) if there’s an issue, too.

Not if there’s a solid chain of command where stuff like that doesn’t happen without everyone being informed.

3 Likes

I don’t like to be pessimistic, rather realistic :slight_smile:

Reality made me pessimistic. :stuck_out_tongue:

REALITY IS AN ILLUSION, THE UNIVERSE IS A HOLOGRAM, BUY CRYPTO, BYYYYYYYYYYE!

I think one shouldn’t worry about ban if you hardly know a person or have never done anything towards that person. That would be paranoia. One can be concerned, either live with it and get proven different way or don’t build at that mall since there are enough. If you want to be that afraid of someone might not like you and you might facing the consequences, then think about that wall building can also be done on home planets even you’ve done nothing wrong. So is that better? Think from the other perspective. If you as mall owner don’t remain fair, and professional that damages your reputation. So why should you risk that?

Well, you might be a moron with no idea how to be fair and professional. I mean, we both know someone who’s been acting in an un-cool way.
No, not Host (:stuck_out_tongue:), the other one.

Well if you’re a mall owner, never let yourself down on the level of trolls :slight_smile: if it’s private and not about the mall, feel free to do so xD

1 Like

Trolls are one thing, but I’d say the real benefit of having a mall on a sovereign is keeping it tight. DK Mall was a cornerstone of the community in antiquity but the style is outdated. With sovereigns malls there’s no need to keep expanding ad nausea while shop owners go inactive at a faster rate. No more running past 20 empty shops to get to the newer one that’s been stuck off to the side somewhere.

I personally would expect a lot of flux, depending on the size. If I started my own sovereign mall I’d be checking shop activity regularly, warning anyone with an inactive shop, and booting the beacon a week later if they don’t reply.

That kind of control is literally the reason sovereigns exist…

5 Likes