What's the new powerleveling activity?

Cool. You can get from Philadelphia to Seattle by walking.

Loads of things are technically possible.

My question is how long does it take? The answer is too damn long.

3 Likes

So give us a time frame that suits you and maybe the devs can work around your schedule.

5 Likes

You make it sound so much more unreasonable than it is.

It takes about 70 hours of casual play to get to level 50. I thought it would be less initially but unfortunately I was wrong.

It takes at minimum 3 characters to do all the tasks in the game efficiently. Crafting/Mining/Gathering/Forging/Meteors can be combined to an extent, but you’ll be hard-pressed to do it in less than 3 characters.

That’s 210 hours of playing to open up all the content the game has to offer. That’s too long. Period. Arguments like “Just play the game and you’ll have fun an level up naturally” are unhelpful. Frankly it just shows that people do not understand what the problem is at a basic level. People, like me, WANT to play the game and have fun, but can’t, because of the poor way leveling and skillpoints are handled.

For example, my first character is set up as a forger/meteor hunter/gatherer. This has been good for my first 70 hours, but now I want to set up a shop. To set up a shop I need crafting skills and the tax epic at minimum, which I do not have.

I am actively being prevented from just “playing the game and having fun” by a leveling system that expects players to put in WAY more time than they should have to do something as basic as crafting a buying basket.

I’ve also wanted to go mining, which I also cannot do because of the skill points issue.

Before I get a million responses saying: “Biscuit, you CAN do those things! You’re just not efficient at them.” let me cut that off right now. There is no point in mining without high level stats. Seriously. You’re better off just hunting meteors and buying the ores you want, because the ore density of gems is so low that without a T5 hammer and max dex you’re just wasting your time.

So in the end I literally cannot “play the game and have fun” without massive amounts of grinding. Well over 200 hours.

1 Like

I’ll try this then: “Biscuit, you HAVEN’T given me a time frame yet!”

In seriousness,

What exactly is your definition of playing the game? If leveling up and earning skills, amassing materials to build and craft with and making yourself a comfortable place to base your operations from isn’t playing the game, then what is exactly? That’s what playing the game is for me and I have had “fun” every step along the way. You are playing Boundless, right? I know everything is different for everyone but I just don’t understand what people could want from a game like this if not for a grind of some degree.

2 Likes

I never power levelled. I simply moved points to be most efficient at the task in hand.

I had 1 crafter who i used a pie to get to about lvl 14, enough to craft the materials for my base. Other main char hunted and gathered. I found that serps gleam ■■■■■ handed out masses of xp once i got an aoe hammer.

It is possible and fun, i definately did it in way under 100hrs. Always found exploring via portal hubs would boost a new char very very nicely

Before you hit level 20 the game feels right. Being able to respec whenever you want and being at least mildly competent at whatever task is at hand.

Then you hit level 21 and it all goes away.

What exactly is your definition of playing the game? If leveling up and earning skills, amassing materials to build and craft with and making yourself a comfortable place to base your operations from isn’t playing the game, then what is exactly?

My issues is that, for the early game stuff, I’ve done it already. I know what it’s like to suck at mining, to suck at chopping trees, and to suck at exploring. I’ve done it all already, and I’m not extremely enthused about having to do it all over again. Once you’ve gotten through that stage of the game it isn’t exactly fun to start doing it all over again.

I’ll try this then: “Biscuit, you HAVEN’T given me a time frame yet!”

Ideally? 33 hours to level a character to 50. That means 100 hours to get 3 characters to max level which unlocks most of the content the game has to offer.

This is a fair bit longer than WoW’s 24 hours to level 80 but I think it would be fine.

3 Likes

Nobody wants to grind poorly.

The grind is the game, sure to some extent in an MMO. I don’t want to be chopping trees and thinking to myself the whole time “I’m literally throwing away 1/3 of this tool right now”. I certainly don’t want to switch over to a teaching pie and give up 60% of the tools’ capacity.

This exactly. You can “cheat” some things a little by using an old skill page to skill up a new page on a developed avatar. There’s nothing to be done on that third, or fifth character.

“Grab an AoE tool and go to town” - No throw away 60% of tool.

“Run portals / Explore planets” - Really at 1/3 speed though I’m going to “explore” an entire planet I’ve already been around?

“Just have fun and play the game” - Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr whatever. Can’t do any damage can’t really move around much can’t reach anything you have no energy or HP. Playing a new avatar up to level 25 or so again is one of the most frustrating aspects of the game.

It seems like the real issue here is the conflation of cubits (free plots) with XP. I said this elsewhere but I would happily buy a cheat loaf on live. A “cheat loaf” that gave “cheat level coffers” with no cubits in them would be JUST FINE.

I expect it to be fairly cheap too since in effect anyone who eats it would be likely be passing up many of the ‘easy’ cubits from their early levels. TBH maybe they should just give you one with every character after your first. Now that I think about it.

You might be surprised at how many people would use them.

2 Likes

This right here pretty much sums up your entire reply. Cheat loafs, empty level up coffers; what are you on about?

What is the point in leveling up so quickly?

What is this phantasmagorical ‘end game’ that being low level causes you to miss out on??

1 Like

You seem to get so hung up on little things that it makes it impossible for you to play the game. You are not throwing away 1/3 of a weapon just because you do not have that epic. Thats like saying I can not enjoy WoW because I can not heal, dps and tank at the same time. Max your agi and you can easily explore a planet and with the recent changes you can level from 1 to 50 just by exploring. Every suggestion people have made you just dismiss and would rather the game be drastically changed to suit you.

1 Like

i think thats a bit of a exaggeration unless you went out of your way to exlpore all the exo worlds as they come out and had a teaching buff on all the time while exlporeing you may hit level 50 in 3 or 4 months

the thing is in WoW i can play has a healer and the game rewards me the same for it in boundless you are almost forced to play a certen way if you want to get levels without it feeling like a up hill marathon for instance mineing is not even worth doing unless you are atlest in your mid 30’s and have a AOE hammer and speed brew without the XP you get is a joke and would be like to get a level once even 5 HR’s after 20.

the thing with boundless and why powerlveling is kind of required in this game is other MMO’s have scaleing systems level 10 get x amount of xp level 20 get x etc but in boundless you get the same XP for mineing at level 1 that you do at level 50+ but the XP you need to level keeps going up.

1 Like

Hmmm I’m not sure how I managed to set you both off.

I don’t recall ever having mentioned an “end game”. I said I don’t like being inefficient when I’m grinding. And I don’t like going and playing an unskilled avatar after some days/hours/weeks working my way up to being comfortable in an avatar fully skilled for the task at hand.

I would happily have skipped the first 25 levels of every character since my second, and tbh for most of them I have. I just got the cubits for it too. “Cheat loaf” is an item, and term already used in this game. I thought the reference would be easier than a lengthy description.

Why would you be against me turning down cubits to save myself some frustration? It’s boundless right?

I’m not sure where you think I’m at in this game. It’s not important.

Well now, if an axe can harvest me 30 stacks of sap, and I harvest 20 with it, call it what you will.

As for the rest of what you just typed. I don’t get it. I literally suggested a specific leveling aid that eliminates the issues seen with “Exploiting” xp gains that people want, for cubits they may or may not want.

1 Like

Its not an exageration total xp from exploring all 50 worlds in over 3 mil, enough to level you to 50, they recently changed it.

1 Like

You haven’t set me off bud. I’m asking questions trying to get at the root of whatever it is you’re talking about. This is getting well off topic. I’m done here.

Yeah me too really i guess it was the word “hurrrrr”.

This keeps coming up again and again because a lot of people want it. it’s hard to fight the groupthink wrapped around the unspoken notion that xp = free plots. That’s all i can come up with.

I got curious about this and did some totting up…

It’s actually not far off to be fair… with the 50 worlds we currently have, each with 50 regions, it amounts to 3,187,500 XP just for discovering every region.

Getting to level 50 requires 3,304,900 XP total, so it’s only a shortfall of 117,400 XP.

So technically, you could get to level 49 just by exploring the current worlds (discovering regions only). If you were collecting surface resources on your way around, you could make up that shortfall.

8 Likes

ok my bad i know it had gotten buffed but did not think it was that big

3 Likes

I gotcha, so essentially you’d like a side option for leveling say, an alt or extra skill page, for a specific function (ie crafting/hunting; basically just for extra skill points) instead of having to start the quest of leveling all over again? I’m pretty traditional myself and honestly I like to watch all of my characters develop, but I understand what you mean if that’s the case.

Ah I’ve got two people mixed up so that explains some of my confusion here.
Some apologies for that redlegdaddy. Honestly.

I really thought the same person who said

Just told me

Totally my confusion.

So what i’m hearing is, spec for speed with a forged grapple and spiderman your way to high level lol. Sounds like fun, might try that.

4 Likes