What's the new powerleveling activity?

It is indeed an option now among many others.

2 Likes

This is a fair summary.

Starting a game like this is a personal choice. I didn’t seek any tutorials or advice on leveling my first character, and wouldn’t have touched this tool. Many players want to get right into whatever they consider endgame, often with friends or for another reason.

During my mid-game (char 2 through char 6) I would have used this option several times. Depending on cubit cost I might use it to level up a new skill page for a new build or technique when I don’t want to use cleanse or reset points, or give up an existing page.

I’m on character 6 and still in this phase. Inactive skill sheets ready for points with avatar level 45 - 80. I also have 4 undeveloped character slots.

In “endgame” play I think Idle playing would lead to spare skill points laying around and once again, this would become unimportant for most players.

You should check how many end game players has over than 3 alts. I will say average players in Boundless has 3 alts for doing everything. So, i really don’t think it will bring out the team work or anything. Especially for starter, there is no way you can get fair money by focus in 1 skill set only. The entire skill tree system is just meh… no one understand the meaning behind it lol.

2 Likes

Yea I’m one of the odd end game players. 1 character that I use. And I work with 2 forgers(1 of which is also a cook). One I have a contract with on mining. And the other I provide the tools and pay for the mats cost of forge.

You forgot to include death penalties from some of the less friendly worlds slowing the rate of progress :wink:

2 Likes

Haha yeah that is a factor as well :slight_smile:

Although you could go some way to negate the possibility of dying by adding some skills with the appropriate precautions … armour/ resistances, shadow effect epic, defeat penalty epic etc.

By the time you have discovered all the regions on the level 1-3 worlds (of which there are 35), you should be level 43-44, so you’d have a few points to spend before you got to the higher tier ones.

1 Like

Ah of course. Didn’t consider the distribution, d’oh! L43 is plenty for the T4 and ups.

1 Like

i wonder what the % is of people is who powerlevel for cubits vs those that power level for skillpoints. Could be interesting to see if a skill revamp could help. Personally I think it would. Could possibly help with player retention also

I do P90x I’m gonna be so ripped in no time bro

1 Like

The few times I power leveled with rock & pie it was strictly for the skill points for my second tier alts I don’t play with often but needed to cover a few areas. I found the whole rock and pie process boring. If I need plots I’ll just buy cubits, but I have that luxury.

Right now I’m gaining a level in about 2 hours just gathering surface resources and filling in atlases with a pie while I have stuff crafting.

1 Like

I feel pretty fortunate to have gotten in on spinning rocks for xp, and it really helped put on the rocket boosters around level 40 when I was really itching for that first full skill set, but it really wasn’t a necessity. The slower road will always bring with it a greater appreciation. Plus, like the first commenter said, just play the game. You get levels pretty quick if you just keep at it. I see usually a couple levels a day just piddling around building and running machines.

Congratulations. I’ve been playing since 2014 and have yet to hit level 50 on any character.

Do you find it so unpleasant to play the game that you want to get it over with as quickly as possible and move on to something else?

4 Likes

Add in the exploration feats/objectives and you get 50 just from exploring.

No but I would like to not be restricted by skill points to not be able to visit higher level planets and craft some of the items I need, gather and build what I want without it taking 9 times longer than it would using an AOE tool.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how long would you expect it to take to be able to traverse that?

Did you count feats unlocked along the way? I just did Tana VII the other day and the whole planet took about an hour with full agility and a mega speed brew or two.

I imagine T6’s would take a lot longer due to terrain and getting killed.

You have not heard of alternate mining methods such as branch mining and borehole mining then?

I doubt anyone would just hard grind out exploration but rather work their way through a planet for variation from other ventures. For instance I will mine for a bit, explore, them hunt. Variety is the spice of life.

I agree with that. To do a lot of those mean you have to have multiple characters for each of those though. And that’s the whole issue with the secondary characters needing to be power leveled in the first place.

Especially for people that focus on the crafting sides of things

That might be how you play the game but I know for a fact the members of my guild are exploring the planets with appropriate speed brews as a way to level. So the fact is players are just exploring planets. Either to create Atlas to sell, or for the xp or for both.

Yeah after over a thousand hours in game I have tried all sorts of mining, but that is irrelevant to my statement. edit: An 3x3 AOE hammer is always going to be 9 times more efficient than the same hammer unforged. Just the way the game works.

1 Like