When will we see the big update?

It’s nice that someone can enjoy that game still, I stopped playing a little while after my friends did, i tried a random roleplaying guild but it wasn’t the same as roleplaying with my friends.

I think I feel this way when I’m working on larger scale builds. A branch of my tree takes about 2-3 hours, and I can knock one out in a day, buy it’s split into 3-4 smaller sessions.

Since I’m building smaller stuff right now - DK mall shop, adding leaves to the tree, etc - I’m very happy with smaller 15-30 minute sessions jusy popping in, doing a little bit, taking a look at the progress, and popping out to FFXIV (less thinking/planning/creativity required).

Not saying my way is “right”, just suggesting a possible middle ground for you. May just not be your style, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please define “soon”.

Sooner or later means that something will definitely happen . It might happen sooner or it might happen later, but it will happen.

1 Like

Soon ™️ I agree

1 Like

Heh, I was just riffing at 4am because I had a headache and couldn’t sleep. Looks like my little formula doesn’t work for you if you weren’t a big gamer before Boundless. I probably used to buy like 10 games per year, mostly impulse buys that lasted a week or two and sports games that lasted a few months. One might make it to my all-time faves. In each of the last 3 years I’d say I spent around the equivalent of half that, including gleam club on both PS4 and PC (one game’s worth of cost per year apiece).

@xyberviri I was using XxymoxX’s total for that… but also divided by 24 hours/day so yea that made no sense lol. If humans were capable of playing 24/7 I’d be the first to know.

I’m also cracking up thinking about the fact that I used to go to Staples with my mom for computer games. Staples…

2 Likes

I thought one could only get the mystery object finder pc games at staples until a few weeks ago when i saw them at a walmart. One day i wanna get a cheesy chess game from staples or walmart and experience that disc installation lifestyle :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s definitely a better way to build if you’re struggling for time/inspiration. When I build (whatever the game is, currently my go-to building game is back to Minecraft) it generally tends to be in this manner (build a village one house at a time, or a mansion one wing at a time).

With Boundless though, this doesn’t often resolve the issue for me. Unless I’m working with basic, largely unrefined or inexpensive materials, the time taken to even get the materials to start building far outweighs the time I get to enjoy while building. That’s where the fun leaks out of it in a way that no change of playstyle can fix. Unfortunately, I don’t feel any greater sense of achievement from having spent 100 hours grinding for materials and then eventually building a building with them than just building that same building without the start-up time. The building itself is the actual challenge, nothing about grinding is hard or thought provoking, and for me only really highlights that I spent a lot of time doing something I didn’t really enjoy.

That isn’t to say that the Boundless setup is bad at all, there are just too much grind-vs-enjoyment, and too many irritation points that it just isn’t for us (myself and family) in it’s current state. Still keep hoping that it will be at some point, but by now it’s come to thinking that when the update does eventually drop (assuming that it does), I’m hoping to get an offline server up and running for ourselves where we can (hopefully) change the rules somewhat and enjoy the bits it does do well.

3 Likes

I tend to look at minecraft builds for inspiration now. My build on Finata has been my most creative so far, which is to say not very. :man_shrugging:

Those were the days, feed in 10 floppy discs to install Kings quest V.
The last several computers we bought don’t come with ANY CD/DVD/floppy drives :confused:. I had to add an external DVD drive via USB.
Are there still stores that sell games on disc?

3 Likes

I think Walmart does :grinning: I guess people still buy them :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes I bought avengers on disc and some others so yes discs are still used

I had an Amiga without a hard drive. Playing games with all the disc changes could be challenging at times, but also a game in itself. I had one disk of Space Quest fall behind the desk and totally gum up my progress for days.

1 Like

I had an Amiga, too, and I didn’t have a hard drive either. I had an external floppy drive, which made disk swapping marginally better. It was great when a game had only two disks, though!

1 Like

I just ordered my first DVD in over ten years. Apparently it’s the only way to watch The Real World Chicago.