60k amethyst gem core
70k emerald gem core
100k rift core
200k blink core
300k Umbris core
500k Oort core

Same can be done with all mob types

3 Likes

Folks, the issue is not players-want-rarity vs gimme-stuff-players vs hardcore players vs casuals. That’s a whole different topic and would delve into game theory, psychology, etc.

They are pointing out that it doesn’t seem logical to have rarity/RNG/$ tied to basic building colors. Rarity seems more logical when it’s tied to a leaderboard spot, a trophy, an achievement, special cosmetics, special materials, etc. I definitely see their point.

All of this would be moot if colors were set in stone with no option to get other colors; if we only had white gleam, green grass, mustard soil, pink growth, etc. The issue is they are being told there are other color options, but they are time-gated, RNG-gated, and irl $$-gated. If you spend enough $$, if you have enough RNG luck, if you wait long enough, you might get the color you want for your town.

No reason for either side to go after each other personally.
If you are fine with the way things are, that’s cool. Carry on.

I am not a superb builder like some of the posters here & it’s not my favorite activity. There are a few colors I’d really like to use for a few things. However, on a rage-quitting scale of 1 to 10, if nothing changes, having access to the exact colors I want is a solid 1.

12 Likes

What if trophies specific to each profession could also be used to summon an exo world with a dungeon tailored to that profession on it. Along the lines of this idea, but instead of colours, it’s something useful for a particular play style.

Use all profession trophies together to summon an exo with a titan on it etc.

Higher tier trophies could also be used towards summoning higher tier worlds and challenges… or just stored on your shelf to show off.

7 Likes

I feel like almost everyone would be happy if color rarity were replaced with some other cooler rarity. Color rarity is pretty lame rarity IMO.

Something like GTA maybe - tracked stats and exclusive outfits and titles for doing specific tasks. Leaderboards. Let people grind to get the hat for doing 1000 t6 meteors. Let people try to mine the most blocks in the month game wide.

9 Likes

Beat 10k meteors and unlock the special ability to see meteors from a far distance once a day for say 1 hr (like the meteor mod)

Same can be done for gatherer’s and miners.

Achieve highest rank mining and gathering feat and then once a day for 1hr you can go to the knowledge tab and select one gem seam type or plant to be illuminated on your screen within 25-50 meteors.

1 Like

Counter question: Does it matter (and I suppose if the answer is yes, It’d need a follow-up “Why do you believe that”)? From my perspective, if it matters how you acquire the rare item, then we’re no longer really talking about the rare items any more. We’re now talking about having achievements to show off.

Which reminds me (in a really roundabout way). Whatever happened to the Stickers concept that Boundless had a few years back? Unique stickers seems like an even better way to show off achievements than additional blocks.

I guess that could be a solution, but I’d have some reservations about it. If you can earn decent amount of coins that way, it will likely start an inflation problem. If it’s not worth enough coin then you still get rewards that are essentially worthless but for a pittance. If available for sale, these sort of things will find the right price on their own without further developer monitoring and potential intervention.

1 Like

I would say the difference would be between specific prestige vs generic prestige. If the rewards, in whatever form, are themed to their source, rather than being explicit trophies, I think making them tradeable makes sense.

So rather than a block with a glyph of a hopper, it could be a block that has the texture of a hopper or something like that. Then it could be a rare, earnable pseudo-trophy. I think I was thinking of something more explicitly trophy-like rather than a cool generically useable thing.

I still think there is value in “I did this” publicly visible badges, but maybe achievement unlocked cosmetics is a better path for something like that.

1 Like

Monthly leaderboards where you get a placeable trophy showing the month and achievement

Then people could have trophy rooms

4 Likes

I agree on the colour rarity. Not sure about anyone else but regardless of how bad of a builder I am I was initially attracted to this game by the player builds that we’re showcased in a YouTube video. If there was a free flow of colour I believe it would only help to improve the marketability of the game to help attract new players, and well obviously help retain a lot more players.

I do also understand how also this rarity is also so closely tied to the game economy for some players and certainly to release them all does have an effect for those players. But in reality at some point all the colours will theoretically be available (eta 2027???). So I think these alternatives are great discussions. There has to be an alternative solution that appease the majority of both sides of the debate that allows a larger amount of the colours to be unlocked sooner then later.

7 Likes

They could add new stuff that’s exo exclusive

Also, if all colors were available, there’d be lots of shops selling every color of materials. The exo shops would probably all switch to doing this.

4 Likes

creative does NOT solve the issue of materials being either non-existant or unable to be recolored on survival. All you are doing is wanting to shove people who don’t like color rarity in this game away so you can keep your precious color rarity, and that’s just splintering the community even further.

4 Likes

It’s a in-game equivalent of turning on a washing machine and watching laundry spin.

:joy:

Ever thought of doing something else while waiting?

Or pre-planning. You know you need stuff so you log in for a few minutes just to start crafting the day before you need the stuff ready.

3 Likes

You keep saying the same stuff over and over again.
It’s honestly getting tiresome. :roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I image that hearing “Go play creative” over and over again when it’s not what they’re asking for, let alone want, is equally tiresome. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Flip side is…all you want to do is get rid of colour rarity splintering the community further. This is definitely one that works both ways…

Some want it, some don’t. Seems to be an equal measure of each. Thats definitely a no win situation for the devs.

2 Likes

So if this is true the decision should based on what would attract more new players than how existing players feel.

2 Likes

TBH it is a mixture of both. You have to keep the current base happy and try to still entice new buyers.

1 Like

I think the point was that given there appears to be agreement that there is an equal measure of both people who want colour rarity and people do not want want it within the current player-base then keeping, reducing or dropping it isn’t going to have a particularly large impact overall. Some people will become/stay happy, and a roughly equal number of people will become/stay unhappy. Following that logic, the only people that will make a real difference are the people who the game might attract in either scenario, whichever is greater.

No idea how you’d get a good gauge on that. The only logical argument I can think of is that if there seems to be equal numbers of happy vs unhappy people in the player-base now, then the chances are good that there were more unhappy people under the logic that happy people rarely leave, but unhappy people do. As such, at the very least reducing it would be the more popular outcome overall.

I wouldn’t want to be in the position of having to decide though.

2 Likes

I still believe keeping rarity as is WITH massive changes to goo is the best solution.

Right now goo is not a viable option, it would take way too long to make enough sprays, or cost way too much if you want to buy them (high price is of course related to how cumbersome they are to make).

Change all that in a way where it takes like 1.2 to 1.5 times of gathering the blocks and it becomes viable. Especially when all blocks can be spray painted. The code is there as I showed in a video I made on the old prototype creative mode (now called local sandbox), even gleam…

Tho perhaps gleam should be an exception but only if there is also a higher chance we actually get all the colours over a short time on public or sovereign worlds…

5 Likes

I honestly believe that they could open the color base up some but not completely. Kind of meet everyone in the middle. Allow for more colors to become available but still leave a decent amount that is rare.

although from a development standpoint if you look at the colors and block types that can be colored naturally with the current perm planet count it wouldn’t be possible to remove ALL color rarity.

2 Likes