Why I went inactive in-game

Many reasons.

1. My roomate’s “turn-off” from this game (dear roomie, I maybe wrong, feel free to correct any of this in a reply or DM me, whichever works for you)
    a. Inability for us (me and my roommate) to practically make Black Pane Glass.
    My roommate has a build he began over a year ago. He had wanted Gleam Signs which were clear (you could see through them with very little obstruction, nor color tint) at the time he planned his build. Panes came out, cool stuff, but the Gleam signs became so opaque, they became impractical for his design he wanted. He played on Test servers, and the “only” pane that worked for his desires was Black Pane Glass. The amount he needs for his current standing build requires raw materials currently practically unobtainable without working way too hard… to get 8k+ raw black gleam. Painting wont work on pane, and no amount of messaging and forum posts from him have shown him any tangible evidence that he could get Black pane glass in practical means. Other similar colors have been tried by either both of us or him. Shadow Red, Night Yellow, Night Orange, and many other night, shadow, dark variants. Each has a color shade that when put on his build (shadow red, night green etc) will alter the internal colors of his blocks from whatever RGB shade the pane has. BLACK is the only color that will do… and the old opacity on the White Gleam Signs was acceptable (was) which such a thing no longer exists. Glass itself which has the highest transparency has those obnoxious lines around every voxel, so those wont do either. Black is preferred due to it’s lack of RGB (and we DO notice any slight variant of anyRGBcolor in any panel that exists, even if most do not see the same color variation). I share in his disapointment of the block he wants to use, that is practically impossible for us to get the amount we want. b. Dye system not being usable on glass pane or other gleam-based objects. I could infodump another mass paragraph on how that, while in the game, is not being made available for the glass panes for we dont know why reason.
    c. lack of roadmap and transparency from game devs.

2. Crafting times being so long, heck, crafting times existing at all.
    How many hours I spend harvesting, placing, leveling, traveling, walking, inventory maintainniace, fuel gathering, and add to that time the crafting time taking longer than the time it takes for me to use the blocks I want on my build, several hours inside fully coiled crafting machines, sometimes days worth of waiting, why even bother to be in the game if I cant use blocks because they arent made yet. I wander away to other games during this time, and often dont bother to do the math to set a timer to tell me when the blocks are done… sometimes 8 hours later my mass craft of 30 in queue still isnt done, and it doesnt cover even 1/3 of the build I have that is waiting for linear mosaic roof pieces to be made.

3. Real Life.
    Need I say more?

4. Other games
    I play very few games, but Ark, Wurm Online, and many others just feel more appealing to me, recently Ark released a new map which I have a place I just love (all PvE games btw, I hate competition and PVP). and I found out about Wurm online upon steam release and that sucked me in big time. It takes a long time to do stuff, but at least I have to be there doing stuff! Not like staring at a forge doing nothing for 25 min at a time. Wurm feels more interactive. Most craft times last less than a minute.

5. Emotional Life
    I have a variety of “mental conditions” that make everyday living and even interacting online a physically exausting daily event. I have to constantly mind my spoons, and if I have to be around other people, mind my manners, which is a feat and a half for me. Lack of services I need, the pandemic I must avoid to spare my life from permanent misery, and communities having mass banned me for reasons I can only “guess” at, with “toxic” being one of only two terms I was told as to why I was banned. “dramatic” being the other term, which I know I am not (drama is a peruposeful exaggeration and inflamation to gain unecessary level of intesity on a subject) basically drama is lying, and I dont do that. I happen to have a very hyper sensitive life, extreme emotions, and most everyone else seems emotionally constipated and get on me, as if I just sneeze people they think I am purposefully exaggerating, and I dont… I been fighting with myself during all this, torn between two worlds. Who I want to be, and who everyone else wants. For the first time last month I finally found out what they meant by “toxic” when someone FINALLY explained what I was doing that they had issues with… I’m not a positives only person, because life is hard, life sucks, reality is real and I cant be positives only, plus one of my conditions symptoms is focus on the negatives and I want that part of me treated but I cant because insurance is practically non-existant and I had to choose dental care over some of the best therapy ever because I could only afford one, not both. Emotional State has been… conplicated and in constant state of flux as I countinue to figure out who I am supposed to be in this society that has a seeting hatred and dismissal of anyone who is “different” The gaslighting is painful, and most people tend to not see it, by completely ignoring anything even slightly uncomfortable… I’m swimming in discomfort, even in my own home. Must be nice to live a life where you feel no discomfort and are capable of ignoring it, I am quite jelly… This severel constant discomfort makes it difficult for me to enjoy a game where I am in constant physical strain to keep my chatter “socially acceptable” which I know, this post is violating that “comfort”. Welcome to my existence.

6. Public dislike of anything slightly uncomfortable results in people disliking most of what I say.
    Basically, read #5.

7. Unpredictability - can we have a road map, PLEASE???
    I loathe things suddenly being dumped on me that change what I enjoy about this game. I’m like a cat, sudden new things and I will HISS and probably run away. I want panes that are near transparent, same transparency as Glass, but without visible borders on every voxel. Will glass panes be paintable? Gleam chests, gleam signs, everyting? Can everything be painted please? Black Gleam signs exist in the game, why cant we have it to build with?

8. Player economy and item exclusivity
    to make it short: I hate both, deeply. If neither existed, I’d not have any less fun than I do. But oh others do want this, I get that… It turns me off too.

9. CPU use
    One of the big turn-ons for me with Boundless, is that I could play it while I also have Ark running. But over time since I started, idk if it is my Pc or the game or both, I cant have both running at the same time without issues slowness, derpy movement. Idk whose fault that is, doesnt matter. The fact that I struggle to play one with both running is also one of the reasons I havent been playing as much as I used to.

10. Combat and Exo exclusives.
    I HATE COMBAT. I HATE limited-time blocks. I dont feel a need to elaborate further.

Nearing conclusion of my post as I cant think of more dislikes to add…

Dear Devs,
thank you for being open and willing to listen to players who have negative views about your game. That willingless lets me feel more comfortable, and is one of the many reasons that drew me into this game, to see that forum thread about turn-offs, not muted, not closed, not silenced (like some other cough ark cough forums do to survivors cough critical posts).

I have a habit of being a “Get off my lawn” grouchy old lady in my nature, but maybe it is just a different form of passion in me… I would love for this game to be better for me and my roomate. Alot of the adaptations and changes for the adrenaline junkies and compeditive users often drive me and him away.

I’d come back if we could get industrial amounts of non-colored, non-bordered glass panes. Paintable panes, paintable gleam, clear glass, Dark glass as a core ingriedient to dark shaded transparent glass, or something to satisfy my roommate. My empathic side can feel his pains for the lack of panes he wants.

We like puns.
We like to build.
We want black pane glass.

Ty if you read the whole thing. You had no obligation to. I infodump, this is normal for me.

Gleam Club is so good for me, it lets me have more freedom, less worry, when I play my other games while I feel burnt out from Boundless.

P.S. This post when first posting is unedited, editing takes alot of mental energy out of me (I have a limited supply of that energy) and I want to get back to my Wurm Online character. she could use some of my attention right now

10 Likes

good luck in the future, whatever u do :+1:

2 Likes

#2 is my biggest reason for not enjoying the game. I’ll be back for sovereign and creative worlds but crafting times in this game are hideous.

3 Likes

I agree crafting times are too long.
Especially for newer players when they reach power coil stage.(its like 8hours or something for mass craft?)… or even basic machines suchs as mixer take like if im not mistaken 20 to 30 mins…

This kills mood pretty fast while playing.

For me building wise i have no problems cause i usually use wood and thats instant craft via crafting table.

2 Likes

I will start with I mean this constructively and many could take note.

1. Plain and simple Black gleam is special and planning a build around it being required is an act of futility unless you have been playing long enough to have collected a mass amount required for such a large build. You can go back as far as you want in the forums to the first mention of black gleam and the devs are very clear that it is special and hard to get on purpose.

2. Crafting times are crafting times and there is plenty to do while things are cooking. IE mining or building other things. I find this to be a mute point because every game you mentioned that has crafting the more complex the item the longer the craft time, period.
    Coming into this game I assumed crafting times would be a thing and be similar to minecraft.

3. We all have to deal with real life. I dont get to play ad much as I want either.

4. If you like other games better than play them instead, period.

5. People come to games to escape irl problems and not to hear about other peoples issues and problems. This may be why your experiences have been what they are. We all have stuff we are dealing with but we don’t project those into the games we play bringing our baggage to the playing field. I don’t mean to sound insensitive but we all have our own issues and quarks we have to deal with so you really are no different than others, other than putting it all out there publically and bringing it in game as I said already. This will turn many players off from you regardless of the game we are talking about.

6. See #5 response

7. The economy is a bennifit to the game and not a bad thing. I dont see why everyone complains about this. If you dont like it mine and craft your own stuff and dont sell. Easy! Nothing says you have to participate in the economy.

8. As a game developer myself I see this as a personal issue. I personally do not know ANYONE who runs two high graphics games at once. I have a super beefy computer and I still wouldnt expect the reults to be grand running Boundless and Ark at the same time. I also don’t believe you that they ever ran good at tge same time anyways.

9. Then don’t do exos plain and simple. They are for super rare blocks ,colored blocks you cant get on regular worlds, petro and resin.

As to your complaint on no dev time line being publically made I can tell you this. After working for several game companies before starting mine, they did the same thing as Wonderstruck and did not make any of that public. Why? Well because if something gets held back because of unforseen issues players get snippy and awful towards the devs.

These guys are not making a huge amount off this game and everyone seems to complain about the way they do things and or build the game and I for one am tired of it.

They created the game and they have a vision if your ideas or opinions fit that vision they may add them in, if not they wont. They can’t be everything to everyone and why would they want to be.

A good number of community members act like they just blink and the code magically is done. Well they can’t and I am quite sure many of the players that are critical over the devs, their process and their choices have 0 development experience at all.

Unless you have development experience you can’t even imagine what an undertaking the game has already been for them and the sheer effort it has taken to evolve it this far and they are still dedicated to extendong it further. Let alone have the right to criticize their process and decisions.

I’m sorry but it just appears to me like many others with similar views that you like the game somewhat but you expect the devs to accomodate you to make you love it and that is not what they are there for.

Simply put I feel for the devs and cringe for them everytime I see a post like this. Because it is not their job to accomodate change to things because a handful of players dislike something.

These types of things are what causes many game companies to stop working on a game all together and move on.

I for one believe the devs are doing a stellar job and should keep up what they are doing! As a fellow game developer I commend them for their efforts, achievments and their plans to continue the advancement of Boundless.

Once again this is all constructive and not meant to be mean. Like a Vulcan I am pure logic because of my programming background. So I see all of this as personal complaints that are not the devs problems because the masses do not share yours and others opinions of dislike of these things.

I am sure this will make me unpopular with some but so be it.

22 Likes

I agree. I had a brief experience being a developer for 3 years.
I find delivering a quality product/update in a reasonable timely manner is better than rushing the development to release to impress or to meet the deadline.

Bugs could be introduced and exploited which then could potentially ruin the experience of playing boundless or the economy.

To the OP, I hope creative world could be the solution for you to build using your desired materials (e.g. black gleam).

1 Like

Or, if the game doesn’t do well progressing entirely as the ‘vision’, they might get added anyway (because it’s either that or just drop development entirely). That, more than anything else, is why this kind of post is still useful (albeit it might have fitter better into the Boundless turnoffs thread). As an individual statement it doesn’t mean a lot, but if they hear the same dissent a lot, it is an excellent opportunity to make sure the ‘vision’ is still good.

Whether or not the intent of the poster is to get devs to accommodate their own personal preferences, the devs are adult enough (one would hope) to take it on face value and treat it like a list of personal dislikes.

I’m sure you’ll get a mixed reaction. Although for me, your post makes me cringe as much as the OP makes you cringe. Any developer worth their salt will understand that their ‘vision’ for a product isn’t 20/20. They are the developers and they plan and build what they will be best, from their perspective. That doesn’t always line up with what the people using it actually want. And ultimately, neither of those views always line up with what actually makes the best end product.

To the OP:

It’s a shame that Boundless doesn’t meet your needs, and that you don’t always feel at home in the community. Maybe check back periodically to see if a solution to tint-free windows comes up, or if someone gets black gleam as a colour on a sovereign world and it’s suddenly a realistic material to work with? Until then, enjoy your other games!

2 Likes

Sure is until a planet spawns with black gleam on it, so maybe they just need to be patient and see what happens with the rental planets. They have also said that every color of gleam can spawn in the public universe so it may just be a matter of time.

Sure an one of them is to log off Boundless and play another game. That is what I do when I have hours of crafting blocks I need to continue a build. Probably not the best thing for the game, but it is what some players are doing.

1 Like

You took my thoughts and put them into the words I couldn’t come up with myself

1 Like

There are some glass panes that are pretty close to being see through. Dark mustards and other darker colours (depending what atmosphere you’re in) surely having your windows a shade or two off what you planned isn’t game breaking!

As for the other things you listed, you be you :slight_smile: if people don’t like it just walk away

And I don’t think we get a road map because t would probably cause more hassle than it’s worth! Expectations are all ready WAY too high in my opinion. The game we have now is excellent, everything else they add is a bonus!! Our community occasionally seems to expect/demand things when we really aren’t owed anything

2 Likes

Everybody is welcome in DKMall guild!

5 Likes

Obviously you didn’t read through the entire post… Shadow Mustard was also attempted, has the same outcome as above.

Item exclusivity is not fun, not fair to all and above all, something that is disliked.

Why does EVERYONE want to shove us over to creative when all we want are specific colors? Why be that disrespectful towards us? We don’t want everything for free, we want to grind and collect every block the same on Survival, just not the wrong colors.

9 Likes

Actually I believe it was @Leahlemoncakes that pointed out that black gleam wouldn’t be possible on sovereign worlds.

1 Like

'Nuff Said. The problem is the stupid RNG-based “Lets make all worlds PRETTY” algorithm.

4 Likes

Actually it has nothing to do with being worth your salt. It is how all development goes nothing can ever be everything to everyone as I stated. Thats why there are so many games. Even still whatever gets addeded in has to fit the ecosystem and look of the game and not break the game at all whether that be making it to easy or exploitable.

With almost 20 years of development experience I can tell you your not necessarily wrong but at the same time you are.

When adding even one thing into a game of this magnitude takes careful consideration from how does it fit into the current landscape of the game, how it affects over all game play and whether it makes the mechanics too easy or not. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

1 Like

Exclusivity is fun and equally fair. It makes it so players work hard for those items. It is not like you have to spend money to get it, if we had to spend money to get it then I would see the exclusivity as a problem. But since we don’t have to pay cash rather just be patient and wait for the color to come up on an exo or wait for gleambo for black.

It is not that they are pushing you to creative, however they are giving an extra option for those who don’t want to be hindered by all the collecting and crafting and waiting for exclusive colors. If they gave us all the colors it would take away from the fun of not knowing what exo will have next. I for one see RARITY as a good thing it makes many want to play the game more.

Boundless is work, time and ■■■■ tons of effort. I like many others see the rarity as game positive in Boundless because it doesn’t cost money to get the rare stuff just patience.

3 Likes

I have to disagree, I have seen it stated that black will remain exclusive. If I am wrong then one of the devs can correct me, but I am 95% sure this is the case unless you are in creative mode.

I’m sorry you feel that way, but tbh I have no such intentions.
I myself still not 100% sure I will get a creative

1 Like

I’m really excited to see creative.

Personally I’m against color exclusivity but that’s just me. I think there should be a machine where you can put in stacks of blocks and get them color changed for free, just costing time.

5 Likes

I’d like to see this post as I’ve never seen anything like this mentioned.

2 Likes