Why I went inactive in-game

Please do not speak on my knowledge or understandings, this is a debate, not attacks. You have no idea what I understand, you only see the debate i am speaking on.

1 Like

I’m not debating your playtime or dedication to the game, and I do agree with you that your opinion is no less valid than mine or the next persons (even if the next person has only played for 2 hours).

The point I was trying to make was to highlight the amount of time we’ve had to wait to even get access to the limited colours we have today. There comes a time when that wait becomes too much.

10 Likes

What I see is you have played on average over 8 and a half hours per day since the game was released (6335 / (365 x 2) and assuming you have played since release). So your perspective on what is reasonable for a casual player that does not have that amount of time to play is probably skewed. That has nothing to do with if you have contributed to the community. Your understanding of the game mechanics is also not a question. But how can you understand how the game feels to a player that only can play in a week the hours you play in a day? You can spend 40 hours working to produce goo or on a exo when it spawns to gather something rare and it take you less than a weeks playtime. They will never have the same amount of time to spend on an exo before it is gone and they will need 5 weeks of playing to do what you accomplished in less than a week.

I guess the real question comes down to one for the developers. Who do they want to aim the game at? Players that can play over 8 hours a day or players that can play 8 hours week?

7 Likes

Personal Expectations and Requirements of the player is a personal issue and while the developers listen. Your personal expectations and requirements not being met and if they don’t break the game,
they are not required to capitulate to your demands.

I don’t get to play like this and may get 8 hrs a week in but I don’t complain. Once again this is a personal opinion and even with my limited play time I have time to build and contribute to the community very effectively, as well as make solid progress all the way around. So maybe this is an in game time management issue rather than a flaw in the game.

2 Likes

700 hours / 60 days = 11.67 hours per day.

If nothing else you played more than a casual player will in a year in your first few months. That certainly gave you a boost and got you ahead quicker.

6 Likes

While this might seem true, nothing will ever change if you don’t put your hand up and say if something is an issue for you :man_shrugging: Consider these posts as a some of us putting said hands up and debating for changes to be made.

9 Likes

You are also quoting two individuals who have and continue to literally talk to the devs on a reocurring basis. They, as well as the rest of the community, understand that the developers will do what they will do.

3 Likes

When like with your posts are formed in a non confrontational manner this is true.

But some get over passionate and begin to sound borderline whiny and egotistical just because devs choose not to make changes that they request.

They also beleive that by posting dozens of times saying the same things is going to force the issue, which if it was the devs would have already started towards making the changes.

1 Like

The best debates happen when we discuss ideas… not people.

9 Likes

Ok then they should understand what I am saying better than most.

Then why for the love god continue to beat a dead horse. I said this in my first response here.

Like I said in a previouse response it just appears that people are not listening to one another.

2 Likes

I don’t think these players are oblivious to that point. It’s in the essence of product improvement. Each person has a personal view of what gives them entertainment value and what’s required for them to keep spending money. Nothing changes if you do not express your opinions.

7 Likes

Mute me and it won’t be a problem when I end up rexplaining the problem to the 13th some odd person who gives the same non answer telling me its a magical fix. If I was doing this just for the devs, I would have have simply skipped the community and sent them a dm.

Wow I didn’t mean all that now, come on. No one in this conversation deserves muting. I don’t think anyone has been rude or out of line for all that.

1 Like

While the number of hours played helps shape the “profile” of the type of player a person is, I don’t think the way it’s being discussed here is very productive, and focusing on the underlying preferences is better.

Boundless is a game that caters to many playstyles, which has good and bad effects. One of the bads is that it requires balancing the divisive playstyles. We have people who want lots of challenge and rarity and want a robust economy - “block rarity is good”, we have people who want everything available, but not easy to get (“reduce color rarity”), and we have people who just want to build whatever they want (“creative mode”). Note that this is a spectrum, not discrete options. Everyone is unique in their exact preferences here in some way.

Higher playtime is more likely to move someone toward “rarity is good”, but that will depend on the person. Having been a part of the game for more years may be likely to move someone through “reduce color rarity”, but again, will depend on the person.

My opinion is that the most productive thing to do would be to debate preferences, and try to find solutions that work for the largest number of people.

If you think rarity is good, what would you be willing to concede from your position to help a player who wants more accessibility to colors?
If you want colors available more freely, what are you willing to concede to players who are interested in having high value prestige items on the market?

We should express our opinions, but we should also try to understand what other people want and try to express not only what we want, but what we would be okay giving up. This will do more to help the developers understand not only what is important to you, but also what is less important, since they are the ones that have to figure out the compromise to retain the most players.

13 Likes

My rule of thumb is to not post when I am upset. Its not healthy. I don’t get upset about anything on here, even if people read it that way. I also don’t begrude anyone for muting me because they are tired of reading my posts.

This thread and others have a lot of the same info over and over as people come and go. Once the developers say its not changing, these posts go away.

6 Likes

I will disagree somewhat. I understand the desire to have something that demonstrates accomplishments. I understand that there are players that would like some physical form of trophy or reward for reaching certain accomplishments. If you play for 40 hours a week then the things that might feel like a real accomplishment to a player that plays 8 hours a week start to feel more common as they happen more often for you.

I do think the developers need to seriously think about introducing some form of rare trophy drops or physical rewards. I think that a player that does kill 4000 mobs deserves to get something for that outside of a steam achievement. Drop a single red glyph block when they open the reward container. They then have a physical demonstration of the effort they have put into the game. Do some random ones also so every 10,000 mobs killed in the game the 10,001st mob will drop a different colored rare glyph block. On an exo, plant 20 trophy blocks for players to find. Give the players that want the rewards/trophies a way to get them. The glyph blocks existed in Early Access, so the art already exists.

That takes some of the pressure off colors

Glyph block ( it is hard to see in this picture but it is in the glass case on the stand behind the table)

If I can find a better picture I will swap it out

7 Likes

I’m not sure we particularly disagree, and maybe my phrasing was off, but that’s not super important.

I think that trophy system sounds really great. I’d go farther and let them be craftable so you have higher tiers of trophy if you have multiple of the same trophy and multiple kinds of trophies. Personally, I think they should be untradeable so they are personal accomplishments and not also wealth accomplishments, but then it wouldn’t help the market part of the equation, so that’s tricky.

4 Likes

probably not.

There are plenty of things for the market to sell. . one of the best selling items are forged tools which have no color requirements to make. Lots of players selling ingredients. if more players are building then those players may be willing to buy more materials which would boost the market for those items. You can increase demand by just having so many different color items most players would never make them all themselves.

6 Likes

Yes I’m in for some unlockable blocks attached to actually accomplishing things in game.
Specific glyph blocks for killing X amount of creatures. Different ones for different creatures. And one at a ridiculous number 250000 or something. That would surely keep people hunting and the reward couldn’t be sold or traded as it is only for those who complete the task. So if you see it at someone’s base you know they are a complete savage.

Special block or decorations for reaching a city or great city by yourself.

Maybe something bigger than great city as well. I’ve mentioned that before. A Metropolis?

Something for hitting level 1000. (I’m Not there yet but another 150 levels I will be. Lol.)

This stuff would be great for some of the long term players that seem to get bored. And give a bit more for people to work towards.

10 Likes

I know I’ve said it before, but I think it’s more sustainable long-term to have a simple one drop once every 100 kills, but allow you to take 100 of those and craft a T2 block, then 100 T2 blocks for a T3 block. This way, newer players get a cool reward periodically, and more experienced players get more prestigious rewards less often (or can build a massive T1 thing).

6 Likes