Why Rental Planets?

I would like to have my own planet. I could do a lot more there if I don’t have to plot everything and be compact.
but I’m very particular about terrain. I don’t just want any planet with my colors, I want biomes and prefabs that I like, as I want to use nature in my builds. either have a say in wordgen, or at least have the option to generate a new random planet during the color picking stage if I dont like the terrain I got.
I play on Antar where I have no neighbours, and I don’t have shops or an important portal hub but I still get visitors, so I know I would enjoy building on a private planet.

right now I want to know more about plotting, cost and possible worldgen options

7 Likes

I personally won’t be getting a planet. But if it makes a lot of people happy to have there own planet then I’m all for it. I’ll definitely check out new planets and get some new coloured materials if it’s possible. But I’m too invested in the current universe. Tbh I’m more excited about the skeleton body paint I’ve been hearing so much about. :joy:

12 Likes

While I want a rental planet or maybe more than one. Obviously the pricing matters. But also what options we will have in how the planet looks. I do not want a beckon where it rains 24x7. I do not want to pay for a planet that I consider to not be good for building or to have poor colors.

Currently I will be waiting to see how the plots for Sovereign planets are going to ultimately work and until we have some better color options before renting. I also want to better understand how difficult it will be to connect a series of rental planets together. If I have a couple of planets of various tiers and I have to cross the live universe to move between them, then I would seriously reconsider renting at all. If my guild decides to rent a few planets, then why would we not want to be able to interconnect them easily and who does it hurt if we do?

3 Likes

You will be able to connect the rental planets, James said that they will be 1 blink second from its partner planet (public planet). So if you wanna connect a portal it will just cost 1 more blicksec than it does from your partner planet, im pretty sure

1 Like

If I ever establish a larger guild I would consider a rental planet as a private “home base”. This would give great control over the possibility of people leaving the guild and leaving plots in the city… I could just remove them. No more griefing the guild city which would be super beneficial to me.

4 Likes

This is fine if they are all the same tier.

These are the quote that make me think if I have a Tier 5 and and tier 1 they will not be orbiting the same planet

You can disable Beacon Compactness from the World Controller for your world, so that’s one of your items checked off :smiley:

3 Likes

I have many of the points/worries you mentioned but at the end of the day, I hope that something that gives more freedom/adds more possibilities only brings more benefit to the game and its community. As you mentioned, those sovereign planets will satisfy a different need for every person without drastically causing any unbalance in the original worlds. I was very happy to see color palette abuse is limited but some freedom is still there and the same goes for resources percentages being close to the known worlds. My opinion is the devs thought well of this. GOOD JOB DEVS :smiley:.

1 Like

The only reason I would consider one is if it would have free portals in some kind. As long as it still costs Oort it doesn’t solve my biggest and only gripe with Boundless.

I’m not really digging the idea of rental worlds but at the same time, I really want anything new so I’ll be getting one or two.

Doubt that will happen because that could actually make everyone leave the main universe and just stay forever in private planets

I don’t want one (at least not just yet) but I am all for them I think… more options, more creativity, more to explore

I’m not so worried about a lower population on the perm planets, it seems the player base is steadily increasing to me (I don’t have evidence, it just feels that way since I started)

Plus, I feel like it’s a kind of end game feature for me… eventually having enough resources and plots saved up to build something enormous on my own planet would be a great thing to aim towards

3 Likes

Why is oort your gripe? Very curious on your thoughts. PM me if it’s too off topic for this thread

For me, I don’t want to have to gobble up an eighth of a planet so I don’t see pixel art and floating boxes from my build. I’m fine with people building it, its their plots and their creative side expressing itself. It just kind of ruins the immersion for me since I spend the majority of my play time running around my builds.

My daughter also wants to play, and I think it would be best not to have her playing on the same servers as the community. My son is old enough not to do anything crazy, but a 5 year old will pretty much do whatever she wants. I really don’t want to let her lose to dig out areas around people’s builds to “Make them prettier.”

12 Likes

I want to wait before buying the ownership of a planet.
Mainly because everything depends on whether this development strategy works well for the development company or does not work for them.

I suppose that the time that the planets will be stored in the servers will depend on the time that the development company is profitable and continues to exist. It seems risky to me to bring the sovereign planets without first bringing content to the game that gives life to the planets, for example NPC or new mobs. So I am waiting to see how this will affect the game, to date we have only speculation.

Since the planets feel empty and dead enough because of the low variety of mobs, the buildings feel empty and useless for not having inhabitants, furniture or even utility. More planets that don’t add content, just colors, but don’t allow you to do different things like enable PVP, I don’t know if it will be attractive enough to compensate for separating players into more planets.

There’s also the issue that the available colors will get bigger over time, so waiting is the best option for me.

To the question of why I would pay to have a planet that I own, it would be because of its ability to block the planet without the beacon and fuel timer running. This allows me to stop paying the Premium and change that investment to the planet. It is much better, because if I stop paying the GC the beacon expires and its stop playing the fuel of the portals is consumed, but with the planets, if I stop paying and playing they will be stored for at least months, I suppose, without spending fuel.

I usually stop playing for a while habitually while I wait for the updates that I consider essential to enjoy the mmo experience: combat update, titans and more mobs, armor, NPC, dungeons …

Although all this will also depend on the price, of course.

1 Like

Rental planets are the best for making a Mall. They remove all issues of creating one by being able to remove any plot as you see fit as the owner. Not to mention you got a whole planet to build on and one day you could build an entire planet as you see fit. It is great.

5 Likes

I very much covet the idea of a rental world, but with no idea of cost, I don’t know whether to start dreaming of it or not :wink: Is it something one person can do or is it a group activity? Must I sell a kidney? I’d sell a kidney…

For me it depends on what is possible with the world, can I make a full dessert dune world or a full ocan waterworld?

If yes then I’m in, if it’s just normal world thing then rather not

2 Likes

Hmmm maybe I could convince you to build a giant skull on one of my planets and make it seem like you live there :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I was really keen for rental planets. Visiting all the crazy diverse planets the player base would design with WorldBuilder would be amazing. I had my own ideas and was looking forward to designing my own planet.

But it looks like, for now at least, that we will get a random planet, not dissimilar from the planets around it.

Also, if I got this right, rental planets are not discoverable. No one will see them unless you first become friends, and are then given permission. That seems a little sad to me, but I get it considering they are “private” planets.

Anyway, not what I was hoping for, but likely something that appeals to others.