Wiki Formatting, community feedback (poll)

• Make items/blocks have consolidated pages with all the different blocks in them, such as Coal, Copper, Iron, Ruby, etc.
  • Make items/blocks have unique individual pages, such as Copper Seam, Copper Ore (item), Copper Bar (item), etc.

0 voters

So, lately I’ve been editing/formatting the wiki a lot, and I’ve even started making a template that can be included in each item page, so that there’s a network of links readily accessible. A page shouldn’t feel like a dead-end. I also started making a template for crafting information, instead of having to manually copy and paste it and change the names each time. Memorise some parameters and just fill it like a form.

The issue

However, one thing that I certainly can’t decide on by myself, since it has to do with how everyone interacts with the wiki, is how the wiki should be populated with items.

For example, in the Minecraft wiki, there’s a page for every item, such as Gold Ore, Gold Bar, Gold Block and so on.

However, Boundless has a lot of items and many of them are actually very identical to each other!

I threw this diagram quickly, so we can wrap our heads around this and quantify the amount of items and blocks, in this case mostly from minerals. Boundless item/block Chart - the idea is that this gives some perspective on how many pages and articles would be required if each item has its own individual page.

One item, One page. Pros&Contras

Pro:

• Having one page per item has the advantage that categorisation will be more complete and there will be less ambiguity.

• Each page won’t be as long, so there won’t be as much scrolling for example. Each page will always have links to related items, so finding what you want will use links more.

Contra:

• One page per item means… A lot of pages. As the game grows in content, this will mean that there is a very large amount of pages that have to be checked whenever something changes - the neutral point here is that a lot of this can be handled using more automated wiki templates, that can be used like dynamic forms you fill out and get updated, but note this is true for both of these systems.

Many items? One page. Pros&Contras

Pro:

• One page for several items, such as having a single page that has Copper Ore, Bar, Compact, Refined, Machined, means that if you type in copper ore or copper bar on the wiki search, you will always go to the consolidated Copper page. Type in copper hammer and you will be sent to the Copper Hammer section of the Hammer page.

• The above point also means that if you need to look at Refined Copper after looking at Copper Ore, you won’t have to load another page, you can just go to its’ section in the same page.

• If you’re reading about one hammer, you may want to compare them all in the same page, instead of going to their own individual pages each time, and back and forth.

Contra:

• Pages can become very long when they are consolidated like this.

• It can feel like there’s an information overload, because there’s a very dense amount of information in a single page, even if it’s all in its own section - the neutral point here is that we can create collapsible sections, so that a page with many items starts all closed up, but you can selectively open the sections you want to look at and compare.

Feedback

The thing is, for either of these, I can think of arguments in favour and against. I need your vote and your reasons why one is better over the other!

If we all think about this, we can make it so that the wiki is prepared now in the early days of the game, so that when it’s full-blown with content, most things will be ready and formatted!

I’ll edit the post if I can think of more arguments for either case - I’m not having a great day, so I’m not being able to think very well.

5 Likes

I like the idea of consolidated pages for itens/blocks, but maybe, instead of putting all the blocks/itens in one page, there could be some pages with the itens divided the same way as they are in the skill tree: Tools, Weapons, Props, Itens, Technology, Decorative and the Advanced and Expert version of each ( if existant).

That way you can relate each page to the necessary skill.

3 Likes

First and foremost, I would suggest a mix of both, it can be a pretty arduous task and most certainly could be deem as an overload, but it will be in my opinion result in a very complete and expandable site.

My idea in simple terms is this:

• General page like mentioned (could be a chart or just a list, roadmap or representation) with all the available possibilities.
  • General pages will be for a wide range of things and less wide range of things, meaning you could have a general chart with all things that can be crafted in game, and then another compiled page with only tools, hammers or weapons.
  • Specific pages for more in deep information about said item, this will be the final step in the road.

It could have a quick chart to look at, and then branch off into more specific charts or pages.

Shameless plug.

A general page would serve pretty good into introducing what’s available to both new and returning players, it would help guide people into what they want to make in game, and give them purpose, solving many of the players leaving the game after short game sessions. It would allow for introduction and easy explaining on how one could progress through.

While an specific page would be able to express more specific data about an item, including info not only about how to craft it, also about what it can mine,it’s durability and so much more. We don’t want to overload a chart.

One very good example of this is boundless crafting and it’s skill tab, it shows what each skill unlocks in terms of recipes, each recipe shows what it needs to be made and each component show it’s info. It can get pretty taxing on players to open so many pages, but as many gamers, once we learn something, just taking a quick glance at something to spark our memories serve pretty good, that’s where a chart that sums info in some way comes in pretty handy, or a specific page when you need something to look at more detailed will satisfy your needs.

TLDR: Make a summed info to quickly look at, and specific information that can’t be put in the chart, in order to not crowd it, be apart.

Other approach we could take is make the compiled page with everything included, and the specific information for each item could be a drop down info or a pop up chart (not a popup window, but a tool tip kind of thing that appears on screen, kinda like item descriptions on resources on boundless when in the inventory)

Another question arises, do we keep both boundlesscrafting and the wiki? or make one or the other our main one, I can completely back and use both sites, and I for sure know they can coexist together, but is there anyway to have our shared effort make a masterfully made site for all boundless players? Each has it’s pros and cons, Boundlesscrafting is pretty ingenious in presenting information no wiki could (or at least I haven’t seen one), while wiki’s are easy to understand for many, and are not a new thing to learn.

Also, many if not all players, are good with learning which skill unlocks what, unlock it, and then when they need to craft something, just look it up, remember from memory or head to the corresponding machine and find it on the recipes tab. Boundless plays pretty well in that you don’t need to learn a configuration to make something, you just need to place the ingredients and craft, I’m sure many know the recipes by heart already.

So it will be seem much more useful to have a compiled page comparing tools in durability, power, abilities, etc. Just like @jiivita has done in his videos. That sort of information is not readily available in game, like recipes are and blend in pretty well with specific pages, which a compiled page with everything won’t do as good.

I’m pretty unfamiliar with wiki’s and how they handle, so if anything I mentioned can’t be done, I’m sorry.

7 Likes

This is sort of currently in progress, see this page as an example. (This idea can be expanded further, even so)

2 Likes

If needed. Shameless plug once again. The display is not up any longer, but I still have the materials to make it or give it to someone to edit the wiki.

1 Like

Your feedback here is exactly what I’m looking for from everyone.

First of all:

Yes, this is definitely something we could do using a table formatted to look the same way! (That way everything would be clickable)

I encourage you to have a quick look through a few pages in specific, to have an idea of how I’ve made things work so far: Tool, Skills and Base Metal.

Yes, I think you’re probably right on this too. See the Slingbow page for a currently potentially problematic/heavy page.

I like this idea, and I think some other wikis have things like this. It might be an extra module that the boundless wiki might not have though. I’ll have to discuss that with the Curse staff, if it’s a desired feature for the wiki.

Like you, I think that boundlesscrafting has something the wiki can never have, but currently my thought was that each page/item could have an embedded link to its equivalent on the boundlesscrafting website. The wiki will be a better resource for optimal use of items and their stats and so on, as well as long written articles about subjects like hopping and chiseling, but the crafting website will be a good go-to for just knowing how things are made. I personally see boundlesscrafting as the wowhead of Boundless, and so I’d be likely to use both.

That’s what I was sort of getting at on the point above this quote. The information on the Slingbow page was made from Jiivita’s chart, and is referenced as the source, for example. In the testing server now, we can right click items and see their stats now, so it’s becoming even easier to access this info to make a compiled table for the wiki.

When we’re discussing ideas, it’s more important to just get them out - we can figure out if they can be done or not once we get down to making decisions.

I think that the scope of the wiki means that this kind of information will fit guide-style articles better than individual pages; especially since block colours are subject to change at release. I can’t form much of an opinion on this just yet, other than the fact that we will want these resources as content, but with a specific style of organisation.

5 Likes

I like more the ideia of consolidated pages, but I think it will be harder to update as the game progress. Individual pages could have info about item version without problems.

2 Likes

as Dzchan94 more or less already said… both have a place on the wiki at least in imho… Master List(s) of sorts with basic/general information leading to more detailed and individualized pages for each item. just my 2 cents.

Master lists could be broken down into broad categories such as items, tools, blocks, weapons, crafting machines, etc.

5 Likes

This is something I’m already doing, to an extent, but there’s still a lot to go over. It’s getting done, anyway.

This is indeed a good point; maybe it can be solved through collapsible boxes. Unfortunately I’m never very good at anything relating to version history, so that in particular is something I personally wouldn’t be able to maintain, for those sections.

1 Like

We have some votes…

So, we have, at the time of this post, 29 votes. Considering the active community, this is a fair amount, especially since most of these votes are probably from the most active players (at a glance through the voters).

This is currently a two thirds majority in favour of the consolidated pages system.

I will wait some more days before accepting a result; I am checking the votes frequently, too.

Edit: And more replies to the OP with opinions/thoughts are a good thing.

1 Like

I think the chart should be clearer though. Cause while that chart is really useful, it takes a while to read, specially for people with any form of color impairment.

I also agree with keeping both pages. crafting and wiki do things differently and you look at them for different things. One has more in-depth information than the other. For example; crafting doesn’t tell you how you should configure your portal conduits, the wiki does.

1 Like

Yeah improvements could be made around that chart. But I was limited with the programs I had.

I thought color coding the recipes was the easiest route, as grouping recipes to their respective skills was already done great on boundless crafting

1 Like

It has been 10 days now, so I’ve closed the poll, with 34 voters at 65% vs 35%, respectively for Consolidated/Separated. That leaves a majority in favour of the Consolidated pages. I have abstained from voting.

However, I will take the feedback given on the replies people made in this thread and take it into account when editing and defining style guidelines and so on. People may still freely comment here on the subject.

I haven’t been editing the wiki very much for the last week, for several reasons, but later on this week I will be making more organised plans for the pages, and I will be integrating these plans into the public style guide that the wiki is currently missing.

2 Likes