Will Boundless Maintain the vision of an exploratory MMO with the new buyout?

First, congrats to @monty1 and the Monumental team for the buyout. I was heartened to read your story of how the acquisition came to be and how a busy CEO still has time to play video games amongst all the other things that CEOs do.

This post is created in the hopes that the new acquisition will focus on going back to the roots of what Boundless was - an exploratory sandbox MMO.

My personal experience of the game stopped 2-3 years ago when I saw that the game was heading in a different direction than some of us hoped for when we bought it in early access 5+ years ago. I’ve accumulated 1K hours which was mostly over a 2 year time horizon.

It’s funny seeing the news today as I had an itch to login for a few hours last night.

With all the games out today, I still can’t think of any other game that comes close to Boundless original vision of allowing player creativity and freedom to explore a sandbox MMO.

I wanted to share some quick highlights of my gaming experience to help give thought for you as move forward on how to prioritize.

• I fondly remember being one of maybe 3 players to build a full service food shop aka Deen’s Kitchen, that allowed players to buy any food or drink imaginable. This was during a time when every other player was trying to make money by grinding coils since that was the end game at the time. Anyone remember that time period? :slight_smile: As much fun as it was making 1 million coins from Deen’s Kitchen, it was just more fun serving the community with my food and drinks. Knowing that they had the goods needed to explore more dangerous worlds because of what I was serving. While everyone was zagging towards coils, I was zigging towards something as boring as food. That was the true definition of sandbox yummy goodness.
  • Spending endless nights discussing proper PVE builds and doing a deep dive on the value of a good Gold critical hit build Or maybe finding the best build to solo a meteor on a level 4 planet.
  • Joining a guild like the Cuttlepunks where we could match our skills and share resources to build better and bigger
  • Getting lost on higher tier worlds like Shedu Tier trying to figure out how I’m gonna make it home alive

After awhile, I lost interest and hope in the game because the company wanted to pursue a different direction than what it painted back in its early EA days. Alot of us felt spurned

I personally didn’t care for new world servers, lattice frames, window panes, poles, beams, etc… None of this would’ve ever moved the needle and in keeping with the original vision of an open world sandbox MMO.

I did however care for stuff like guild features. And…well, not sure what else to be honest since there was little else that I found exciting.

You guys are smart folks and have a big team of resources. Far be it for me to insist on what features you develop but whatever you do, I hope your vision will align with what the original intent of the game; a more mature adult version of Minecraft with deep complex gameplay allowing you to go down a rabbit hole in any aspect of the game be that crafting, pve, or commerce.

And yes, I know people hate hearing the Minecraft comparison but that’s what it gets until it truly develops its own true unique identity. Or until you bring in Titans :slight_smile:

Good luck and I hope to run into you as we do a two-man meteor run on a level 6 planet. You haven’t lived until you’ve done so :wink:

Deen

10 Likes

Deen, if you haven’t put a roof on your shop in 4 years I will be impressed. Nothing like trying to buy groceries and fight cuttletrucks off your buggy

4 Likes

Man. I gotta keep it raw. That’s how we roll on Bitula.

Besides, it was either invest the time on building walls and a roof or make more coins. I chose more coins!

You still playing?

5 Likes

Solo T7 Hunting is were it’s at Boop!

6 Likes

Damn. Wasn’t even aware of A T7. Clearly, I’ve been out of it.

1 Like

On and off I cant ever seem to down right quit. Took like a 2 year hiatus, came back about 2 months ago. Slowly not logging in again lol

1 Like

I got a double feeling about this news, its good the boundless will continue, but not sure what to come.
I have never heard of the new owner, and do not know of their plans.

I have seen other game i played been sold and slaughtered with ptw and such.

I do not know how near the turbulens developers they will work, or if they setting up a whole new crew.
I should feel better if they get some old ppl involved, like @Minyi https://www.behance.net/gallery/102124109/Boundless-(2018), who made the special unique graphic style of boundless, maybe he will be happy to continue…
And the unique graphic engine, any one can handle that? Without the creators.

Sorry for my english, just some worries that boundless will be transformed to another dussin game.

And yes, i like the thinking game
Like the crafting times and planning.
Like the forge, so nice when You learn it, and it go good :slight_smile:

Edit: Added one of Minyis boundless page.

5 Likes

Imagine what unreal engine 5 for boundless :flushed: would look like ….

2 Likes

The difficulty of the forge mixed with limited ability to spec is what makes the economy work. I hope that doesn’t change.

4 Likes

It was like my first aha moment with forging, that gum not only decide what boon is applied, but also decide where the points are going… It only took me a year or so to understand…

I don’t think the forge staying how it is is a good idea at all. The thing is, it’s not “difficult”, it’s just fighting against RNG. If it was a game of skill and technique, that would be great, but as it is no matter how “skilled” you are at it, you’re still brute forcing RNG.

1 Like

I have some bad news for you about the update that’s waiting to be published.

2 Likes

I agree, I think the focus will on new players rather than publishing an update

Nah 100%, determining a final config and releasing 249 would be low hanging fruit and make a lot of people very happy.

Can you elaborate for those of us who haven’t been around?

Sure. The big update , as far as was communicated, stalled out at the “polishing touches and business decisions” phase. Largely because of some rough decisions regarding how to present the private universe side of things.

There were mixed issues, like a mid-range computer taking longer to generate a first world (or maybe 3, whatever was ‘required’) than the steam refund period.

Anyways, there may have been more that wasn’t shared but basically the public universe stuff was done. To get back to your point:

One of the major features of the update, was a change to the way skill sets are handled. You would be able to have every compatible skill on the same page. Finally, a single character/skill page, that can do everything.

I don’t think it’s going to harm the economy though. It’s good stuff. More active players = more active economy.

EDIT: Just to add, last time I heard the test servers are live. You can log in over there and use the swords and shields, fuel portals for years on compact oort, hunt and mine on the same build, etc… if you like.

2 Likes

And they get you a lot of tools to fight the rng.

Interesting. I’ll have to look further into it when I get a chance. I shared a similar opinion to div0ky that RNG was a good mechanic to have. Not so much out of concern for the economy but it’s what helped maintain spontaneity for the game and avoided stagnation. I recall the devs saying as much some years ago as well.

RNG is common in many games and the playerbase always adapted to it. But there was always a vocal minority in this community that just hated it.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of the forge. I don’t recall any big forging changes planned for that update. But definitely a change to the limited ability to spec.

2 Likes

There are(were?) a lot of features in update 249 that would be useful for the NPE & experienced players:

• Max skill points increased to 367 to accommodate the new skills
  • Melee weapons
  • An Epic Skill that allows almost all tintable blocks to be spray painted
  • New Block Protection Quirk on Melee Weapons & Bombs to stop any accidental base destruction
  • 2nd chance brew for removal of death penalty
  • Reduced the Foliage, Stick and Timber costs to all Wooden Tools and weapons to 2 Timber, 1 Stick and 1 Foliage. The coin cost has been reduced to compensate.
3 Likes