Would You Rent a Sovereign If - POLL

I never understood why I have to pay monthly for a sovereign and also had to grind or purchase plots to use on the sovereign. So, my questions are…

If you had unlimited plots available to you on sovereign, would you rent one?

• Yes
  • NO
  • Never Renting a Sovereign

0 voters

If you rented that sovereign would you plan to keep it for an extended amount of time if free plotting was allowed on that sovereign?

• Yes
  • No
  • Still Not Renting a Sovereign

0 voters

Feel free to chime in and discuss this.

1 Like

the thing is, I think if unlimited plots were a thing on sovereigns you will have some issues

1 of them is masses of footfall traps

when you rent a car it doesn’t come with free petrol either

since its a sovereign there has to be some limitations that share the same rule as the homeworlds

7 Likes

I rent a planet no matter unlimited plots or not :woman_shrugging: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

I think its actually a good thing to keep plots limited on sovereigns as it keeps it more in line with the known worlds. The exclusive access and control is what you’re paying for with the sovereign and I feel like I get my money’s worth with that alone.

2 Likes

I do too, but pretty sure there are a number of people that don’t rent them.

2 Likes

I dont disagree, but it was brought to my attention that a few people will not ever rent a planet as they don’t agree that they should have to pay for the rental and for the plots on that rental.

There would be no footfall traps as people don’t ever have to visit a sovereign. I never understood the whole footfall argument, as it happens anyways. I have probably been to nearly every sovereign in the universe when I go scanning and never once considered the footfall. Those people are paying for a sovereign seems like whatever footfall the received would be welcomed.

A car and a planet in a video game is a poor comparison. You pay for gleam club but yet you get unlimited fuel, access to colors, emojis etc.

1 Like

Same ‘universe’, same rules.

Sovereigns get you a couple of perks. Local admin to a limited extent. No change to any gameplay.

Go creative, be free. EDIT: Same price.

4 Likes

People can always rent a creative sovereign world if they want unlimited plots, no?

6 Likes

Do either of you happen to own any sovereigns by chance?

I ask because you are limited on what you can do on your planet seems a little counter intuitive.

I personally don’t care as I just grind plots, but people can’t even build on their entire planet because they don’t have enough plots to do so. A new player can’t rent a sovereign and build on it, you technically can’t do anything on a sovereign planet other than mine/gather and plot a small chunk unless you’ve been playing for years. Again, sounds counter intuitive.

I have 7-8k plots and its barely scratches the surface of the smallest sovereign.

EDIT: The main point of the poll was to see if more people would rent a sovereign and actually keep it and in turn that give a more stable income for Monumental and hopefully more stability. It seems like a pretty lackluster approach currently and not very enticing. I can ban people and change the colors…big whoop. I always have a bit of buyer’s remorse on sovereigns at times even when I can generate a good number of coins from it. I can do that without renting a sovereign.

Maybe you should include a poll as to would they rent one if they were given say a certain number of plots. A certain number for each size of Sov you rented.

1 Like

This same discussion occured before sovs released and it was a pretty heated debate if I recall.

3 Likes

Well hopefully it can remain civil. I know it brings up the whole P2W mechanic etc. etc. Just had more than a couple of people mention that to them sovereigns were not worth paying monthly for.
My comment is usually, “well don’t buy one”, but I try to see both sides in most situations.

1 Like

I have owned two.

Counter-intuitive in what way?

Plots are for sale, or you can just AFK grind the cubits right?

Reclaim also becomes a nice, sortable, splittable, add/remove type of infinite storage. Trust me once you have sorted your ~10 mil items into named reclaims and adjusted to being able to access them at any time, you want to keep a sov around.

Still, fully as advertised. If you want to plot a spot in the public universe, you need to get the plots.

Aye, that it was. It was also feeling like less of an issue as privately hosted planets were still on the radar. With indications that many of the pending changes may be scrapped, the debate could probably get a little more heated.

Invest in increasing the value and desirability was my main point to the poll.

Too soon! But yes, but then you are back to paying for the sovereign and again buying something else which doesn’t add any more value to the sovereign.

Buy a planet but have limited building on that planet.

You can do this on sovs or homeworlds, but the reclaim system while being a good way to sort things, I doubt it was created to sort things so sounds like a missed opportunity there. I probably totally missed the point here…sorry.

I have inherited A LOT of players items over the 2 years I’ve been playing and while I really want to reclaim my color storage just to see how many blocks I truly have as I know my color storage structure alone is a few million blocks.

You absolutely cannot do the things you can do on a sov (with reclaim) on a homeworld.

You can open a reclaim, put stuff in it, and close it again. Open another one and take some stuff out, and close it again. Go back to the first one and put the stuff you took out of the second one in it. Close that again and get what you actually wanted out of a different one. Then close it and go have your fun.

You burn a couple of beacon controllers but they’re nothing, it’s like needing a key to open and close a cupboard.

And I wonder why I can’t get motivated to build mega-storage :thinking:

$10/month for the privilege though.

1 Like

Why am I just finding this out… yet another missed opportunity.

1 Like

Probably because it feels a little exploit-y and P2W. Not sure. At least @HOST and I have posted about it in the past, though.

Actually let me be really clear here.

• The owner of a sovereign can force reclaim any beacon on the planet, at any time.
  • This includes their own beacons.
  • This mechanic exists so that you don’t effectively steal someone’s stuff if you kick them off your planet.

This means that you can

• Place a beacon controller
  • Open a reclaim
  • Remove things from reclaim and/or put stuff in the beacon.
  • Optional name it something useful
  • Force reclaim on it

The process enables all the things I just listed. I guess it’s not an exploit because i was told today here on the forum that using existing features can’t be an exploit if it’s not a bug.

3 Likes

There needs to be a list of all the benefits and as mentioned the drawbacks of renting a sovereign.

1 Like

I have 2 sovereigns atm, one of them I’ve had for a very long time and I do not want to let go of. At one point I had 5 sovereigns that I kept for months.

I bought my sovereign fully aware of the limitations. I loved the trying to get all I wanted from one type of planet (getting the biggest gleam spot, getting the best mining spot, etc). And then going to explore to see what my choices of biomes gave as a result.

Plots haven’t been an issue for me for a very long time (think i’ve recently reached level 2900). If you do all your crafting yourself and gathering all the resources, you end up making enough xp to support most of the building you can do, I think? It did for me, anyway. If not, you’re welcome to visit my gleam farm on Vandi. :slight_smile: It’s a T6 but there are hammers for sale that, with a strength brew and a teaching pie, will let you one shot the gleam and make a ton of xp before needing to regen :slight_smile: It is open to everyone and i can make doors on the outside walls if someone wants to put a beacon there either to reclaim or to process the gleam into refined gleam without having to leave the planet

4 Likes

My reasons for not getting a sovereign have nothing to do with plots. Its mainly because currently I have no need for one. If the game gets busier, and things get nasty in my corner of the universe maybe then. The biggest reason is the locked colors. Just unlock them already. I feel everyone being able to get all the specific colors they want would be a bigger driver of the economy rather than high prices due to rarity.

2 Likes