Yahbo Butlers

Good morning Boundless :smile:

More crazy panderings from me… Eventually I think it would be neat to have placeholder npcs that are basically craftable and placeable somehow. So that they could deliver a stored text to visitors, or engage in a string of q and a texts. Perhaps they could store things and perhaps eventually maintain small tasks such as autocraft stone at your crafting table or things like that, so basically attentants or butlers. This would help the world to feel less vacant at all times and would be a fun customization option.

10 Likes

hey hey :slight_smile: check this

7 Likes

Good call Spoygg. I usually research before posting but today my assumption got me :blush:

I will retract the post shortly.

2 Likes

no need. this is just a fresh start to an old conversation. one i am deeply interested in.

5 Likes

Me too. This would be an absolutely amazing addition to the game. I hope it’s looked into. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Can you imagine what this would allow for if we could lightly program each NPC to say certain things?!? :heart_eyes: it would open up a whole new aspect of role playing.

6 Likes

(NPC opens dialogue) “Hello Yahbo”
“Hello” —> [Drop down list]
“Where is the owner of this property?”
“Yahbo (username) is at [coordinates].”
“Anything else you need Yahbo?”
[Drop down list] “Leave a message”
“(Username) I am needing to see you about some stone. Here is my payment.”
[insert payment into NPC]

mmmmmm.

7 Likes

I like the idea a lot, the world would be less empty.
It would be fun to setup the shopkeeper or butler ai.
“This AI is limited, you must ask the right question”

4 Likes

you could set up a long que’s of stuff to build and have them repair the machines as needed and keep the spark levels at 2500.
you could do this by giving them accses to a shelf with a spanner and coal or putting it in there invantory.

5 Likes

PERFECT! Yes that’s the sort of thing. . . Okay devs lol we keep raising the bar :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Even have them mine for us. Depending on their level you can select an option to have them mine a certain material at which point they would simply disappear and reappear at a later time with a certain amount of that material. For instance every time they mine iron they would receive a small amount of exp towards iron which, when leveled up, allows them to return sooner and with increased iron. obviously gems would be a high level but would still allow for another method of receiving gems and other material that you may have no desire to hunt for.

2 Likes

I want to make a museum so it would be cool if I could have a Butler stand at the entrance and welcome players to the museum and tell them a little bit about it before they enter.

2 Likes

some thoughts i had on it here :smile:
was thinking same thing
also give them some lines to say
like “discount on berrys today my friend”
or “i heard a rumour cookviper is organizing new contest "
or"i heard a rumour they found redgleam in a forest on solum”
or “im busy refining go away peasant”
or"join the hunt on saterday 7pm i heard moebius the great cuttlekiller will make an apearance if we lucky :sunglasses:

and some random stuff they do like working in front off machine
or bartending ----example cleaning a potion glass lol
or guarding a property
dancing on a stage
sitting looking around
playing music instruments

this would make citys look awesome and never abandoned

please add lines people hahahaha

6 Likes

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o8dFn5CXJlCV9ZEsg/giphy.gif

1 Like

ps my alts name is yabo where you found that its yahbo? lol

2 Likes

lol. I know. . . Things. . . about.

You.

1 Like

No worries, I just added it for reference.

What would be awesome is to take automation via NPCs instead machines and circuits. I’d love to see my build busy with NPCs hehe

3 Likes

@Spoygg what happend you used to be a blond surfer dude now ya have black hair and a beard hahaha

3 Likes

The Times They Are a-Changin’, ma man :smiley:

4 Likes

I was also really intrigued by the volume of players in the trailer. Unfortunately, numbers are just low because early access. Tax is in theory what would bring players to trade like this more. If anyone played maplestory back in its hay day they’ll remember that there were essentially two ways to trade. You could buy from the auto run shops or you could spam a really annoying message like “Buying ____ @ ____ @@@@@@@@@” to find buyers or sellers of goods. This area of the game was always highly populated 24/7. If a hub like this existed in game I would come all the time to buy and sell my goods but the community is not big enough at the moment to support something like this.

In regards to AI, I love the idea too!!! I don’t think it’s a good solution to the population issue, but I find it an interesting feature that could potentially boost player interest and really make boundless a unique game like the devs want. There are balance issues depending on the things that they can do. Making the reward minuscule seems ideal. The tough part is execution. Players are controlled by input where as AI would have to be scripted an run on the server side. Complex AI get exponentially intensive with more instances. Simple AI would be very lackluster and potentially make the game look worse from a buyer’s perspective.

2 Likes