Yet another idea in regard to Warp costs

I wanted to make this a separate thread because this isnt so much about how much the warping costs but more the way in which it costs

Right now with the most recent changes (if i read the beautiful diagram correctly) the distance between planets is what drives up the warp cost.

i would suggest having the transit between tiers of worlds determine the cost.

examples :

beginner planet to beginner planet = lowest cost
beginner to mid tier planet = the low end of the medium cost spectrum
high tier to high tier warping = the highest cost

1 Like

I disagree based on the fact that the worlds are supposed to be set up in a specific 3D space and beginner worlds aren’t all close to one another.

The way it’s set up right now makes sense.

1 Like

I disagree. If you would travel with a spaceship, why should it be cheaper to travel to a beginner planet which is far far away than to travel to a higher tier planet which is very close to you? The transport costs are much higher with a higher distance, you need more fuel. It’s somehow realistic as it is now with the hops. :wink:

So I would leave it as it is now with the distance calculation. It just has to be adapted to the final 1.0 version later.

1 Like

I did have an idea that I mentioned to Luke - if warp costs were calculated taking into consideration amount of portals on your current world and/or amount of planets connected to current world by portals.

Essentially it would mean that if there were lots of player operated portals, warp costs would be higher (makes sense if you imagine the oort would find portals/warps unstable the more there are)

@Whichall that’s an interesting take on it. I like the sci-fi unstable type of idea. That being said, I don’t think it will happen because the economy they’re trying to put into it. I do believe we’ll get to charge people to use our portals, if not our warps. I’m not 100% sure about the warps, but it’s already been stated about the portals. So, I think it will end up working exactly opposite of how you’ve suggested. The more portals on a planet, the less demand, and the less people will pay you for a portal. Free market, baby! lol.

No of course! I thought I was very careful not to confuse portals with warps.

I meant the more portals there are, the cheaper players would make toll fees, but to offset that I think it would be cool to make warp costs increase (not portal tolls)

1 Like

Ohhhhhhh, right. Nice.

Given how orbits work, at most times it would be easier and quicker to move from one starter planet to another. Since the starting planets are “fixed” points in space and the second and third tier planets orbit those, it would stand to reason that starting planets would all be closer to one another more often than the tier planets would be closer to one another. Perfect example is within our own solar system. For a trajectory to Jupiter, as it stands we only have a 4 month window every like 12 years to actually make a “direct” path to Jupiter. Other than that given our current technological prowess it is nearly impossible to reach Jupiter. Now the game doesn’t use actual orbital mechanics from an interplanetary travel standpoint, you only really see the orbit of the planets when you stand on one and look up so that is an irrelevant point. But if it did use orbital mechanics, the price to travel from one planet system to another would change when traveling from a second or third tier planet to a starter, but travel from starter to starter would be fixed prices.

That last paragraph gave me an idea, why don’t we actually have orbits? So the price between planets does actually vary based on time, so say at a specific time the Solum and Berlyn third tier planets are at their closest point making travel between them cheapest, and at another time they are farthest apart making travel between them most expensive. That would be really cool from a mechanics standpoint. It also adds a bit more wisdom to traveling between systems. Making it so you have to chose when to go where at what times and schedule your work.

1 Like

the logic here was that a newbie and his newbie friend who dont live in the same country, one canada one australia or something to that effect, started the game together only to be split apart so far that eventually playing together is quite the task in progression (machines etc) and coin

that and,

the rarer resources are available on the higher tier planets, gems for example. it should cost more to get to the better areas imo. and in the real world, the places that are less traveled to usually cost more to get there. the high tier planets wont be traveled to and fro as much as the beginner planets.

also no one has ever written in blood or chiseled in stone that the planets cant be rearranged and are physically gridlocked into their current arrangement

for example :

system one has the beginner planets, system two has intermediate planets, system three the farthest away has the harder planets. you have to be on an intermediate planet to location pick the hard planets.

in this way newbies can find their international friends easier, meet other newbies easier, and explore more planets earlier on in the game to find different colors of stuff to build with much less of a toll on their experience in terms of time/effort/resource resolved.

then as they progress they are able to afford higher costs to get to the harder planets and so on.

this would mean that when you look into the sky you see the other beginner planets within reasonable distance, and farther away you see the intermediate and the hard level are just dots that show a name when you aim at them. to get to the hard planets youd need to be on an intermediate planet.

the only thing that really gates the travel is the cost to warp:

as it is location markers can be exchanged (which imo needs rules) so i can just find a newbie give them my locations save them x amount of work making location pickers and such.

they get to bypass making two location pickers or more to get to the various hard planets. all theyd need is the coin or a lift.

lets imagine that one day the verse is as huge as it was when we started… like fourty planets all looking mostly different…

they can do a whole bunch of three and four planet systems which would not only spread everyone out terribly but the cost to travel would be so high over a long distance even when making small jumps that the only thing to do would be pick up and move each time and to take only the smallest jumps possible.

just imagine how much we are going to get away with charging players to use portals!

or they can do a more simplified system / arrangement where the closest planets to you depend on the tier of planet youre on, and the imaginary distance between them in the imaginary universe of space the imaginary planets occupy could reflect that in their arrangement, and as such the cost to travel among the various tiers is more manageable by the players at that tier

feel free to ask questions if im unclear in my description of why i think a system like this would work better and be better for the players

i love the idea and reasoning behind the travel cost varying depending on the orbital arrangement

with that said, i still think the setup should be arranged so that the tiers of planets are grouped together.

with both ideas it would have tiers of warp cost that have variation within them with perhaps distance is a modifier of a tier based cost.