Additional Skill Sets use the same skill points pool

I feel this needs to be highlighted.
As I had said on Discord ealier I was calmly annoyed.

I had assumed, as some would due to other games using a similar system, that when you buy a new Skill Set, that you would have your full allocation of skill points (sp) to use on the second set, what with having to swap between them anyways.

This is not the case.

ALL skill sets share the same sp pool.

Every time you level you gain 2 sp. Simple enough.
However after 50, you continue to get 4sp/lvl. These additional spā€™s can be used in additional Skill Sets.

What I had done was get to 19 and figured my gathering ā€˜buildā€™ was sufficient, but Iā€™d quite like to go out hunting, and thought that since I had the cubits, Iā€™d buy that second Skill Set.
So I did. I switched to it and saw it had 0 spā€™s to spend. I was confused, I tried to return to Sanctum, then I relogged. Confused I ask the Discordians and was informed about the shared sp pool.

A couple of things came to me.

1. There is no mention in the buying of these extra Skill Sets that the points are pooled. (except on a random post on these forums within a thread about a different point on Skill Sets.)
  2. Someone could spend real life money to get an additional Skill Set (via buying cubits), then find themselves unable to utilise it. If youā€™re lvl <50 it is basically useless. There is a good chance youā€™ve decided to use all level earned cubits on plots, then think like I did.

Now Iā€™m one third annoyed at myself, and two thirds the game.
I shouldā€™ve checkedā€¦BUTā€¦there wasnā€™t a way TO check.
The other two thirds (in bold) are at the game. There is no ingame information on something that could potentially cost people REAL money.

Thatā€™s it, just want to warn people, or highlight this needs some sort of clarification/alteration.
You canā€™t refund cubits spent, at least not ingame, perhaps itā€™s do-able via Dev intervention. It shouldnā€™t need to be though.

EDIT: update to 4sp/lvl after 50. Since people are still seeing this :slight_smile:

8 Likes

i think this is to discourage the game from P2W (buy a skill set + get the sp with it = P2W)

But i heavily agreeā€¦ its not fair that we only get a base ammount of SP per level (in the old skill set we were getting 1>2 per level and then 5 per XX level which we should sitll get it that way)

OR once you hit level 50 how about increasing the base SP gain considering you need a huge ammount (200K?) per every level after 50

1 Like

I have to admit that I wish I had seen this before getting one. I, too, am rather annoying and feel Iā€™ve wasted cubits (which are not necessarily the easiest to accumulate in the first place).

Why canā€™t it be 2 different pools of skill points? Itā€™s rather useless otherwise and extremely misleading. If itā€™s to discourage P2W then why not just have a timer to prevent people from bouncing between the skillsets on a whim?

I canā€™t say Iā€™ve really seen anything like this in a game and, quite frankly, I hope I donā€™t see it often. lol

it is kind of explained in the wording, it says something along the lines of ā€œuse your future skill points towards either of your new skill setsā€ or something to that effect. But I agree its a bit of a jip, when I first heard about additional skillsets I assumed it would work as you described, was disappointed to see how it works.

there is a 15 minuet skill change timer (100%) and secondly i THINK It can only be done at thehome beacon?

And a shared+ pool (exampleā€¦ you get 2 sp per level for one setā€¦ when you switch skills those SP SHOULD total the same SP earned already IMHO for you to allocate to the second setā€¦ and then on switching back you still have the old skills etc

You have the timer when not in your beacon, inside your beacon you can change skill sets at will.

2 Likes

I just wanted to inform people, I doubt anything will change, except perhaps better in game description with any luck.

1 Like

It had been mentioned in many other threads. Many of us told them this isnā€™t a smart way to approach skill sets or at least communicate it so people know how it is designed. Iā€™m sure there will now be people who paid more real cash for cubits and then spend it to find out they canā€™t do skill sets the same way most games do. Imagine those people.

2 Likes

It is clearly by design. I think it is pretty clear they are not designed to share points.

From in game:

From the announcement post about Skill Sets:

It certainly could be more clear since there is intentionally money involved with buying Cubits.

its actually 100 SP unless that has actually changed (James said 100 officially)

It was initially 80 when first released but soon bumped up to 100 not long after when there was a big outcry because of the points needed to create a balanced build in whatever chosen path.

1 Like

donā€™t you think this is a good thing though? that would definitely cause an imbalance and unfairness between players. Iā€™m very glad this is the way it is. yes itā€™s a real pain having to split your valuable skill points before level 50, I did it as well and I regret it, I even thought that I would be willing to put points into the 2nd skill set and use it for a couple things like crafting recipes for my hunter main skill set and switch here and there but since I bought it (as soon as I could) the 2nd skill set has remained unused lol. my points are too precious right now.
after level 40 i might start using it.

I never assumed I would be able to use my spent skill points on another skill set, just didnā€™t make sense if they wanted to avoid pay2win arguments.
best way to not get disappointed, prepare for the worst and hope for the best, donā€™t assume things, do some researchā€¦

1 Like

I disagree. You canā€™t expect new players to have that mindset. Devs need to implement a warning pop-up or some other way to make it clear that youā€™re not getting free levels worth of skill points. However, I do think that 600 cubits for free levels of SP based on your current level is ripe for abuse, so Iā€™m glad skillsets function the way they do.

2 Likes

Personally, I will never purchase a second skill set under the current system. I canā€™t be bothered to level 50 more times, having to gain 200k experience per two extra skill points, just to fill a second skill set. It makes so much more sense to just create a new character and have multiple specialized characters. Having to switch between characters is a small price to pay for the exponential decrease in necessary experience for max skills.

2 Likes

Had I known how it had truly worked, I wouldā€™ve opted for a second character slot. Alas, those cubits are now spent and Iā€™m a little demoralised with regards to playing. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll wear off over a sleep, but it certainly stopped me in my tracks today!

1 Like

Description of buying skill set is not direct enough. There is much text and warning of about skill points arenā€™t shareable between sets isnā€™t clear enough.

Something like next ā†’ next ā†’ next ā†’ buy skill set -dialog box set with pictures would be better than what we have now.

Maybe some players just use cubits to get stuff without reading all of the text and/or know what they are really getting there. Tint kits might have same problem, I have seen few times in region chat players asking on region chat that how they use tint kits afaik there isnā€™t right now use for those.

Not useless, I can see use for 3 skill set character on somewhere 30, still kind of trivial way to play game and use skill sets as new player who donā€™t know how those sets actually work. :wink:

1 Like

I appreciate the flexibility the devs are trying to provide by allowing you to split early. However, I do not think you should be able to buy the skill points before 50. Or, add a very very clear disclaimer and expect angry returns.

2 Likes

Iā€™d go with the heavy disclaimer over an enforced limitation.

Even James himself said that if you wanted to build a crafter who could do a lot of things, it wouldnā€™t take a full 100pt skill spec and it would be a more practical solution to build ā€˜slimā€™ skill sets that just pick the skills you need for your specific crafting choices, so Iā€™d say itā€™s clearly an intended use-case.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this and but thanks Jyanin for making a post about itā€¦was going to spend some cubits on this myself.

Maybe some nice dev might take pity on you and refund cubits.

Sorry that you misunderstood how they work. What suggestions for rewording should make it clearer in the future? Here is the current text:

"Adds an additional empty Skill Set for your current Character. Skill Points earned in the future can be spent on your new Skill Set or existing Skill(s). You can swap between Skill Sets now and again. "

Would something like ā€œCurrently allocated Skill Points cannot be used in the new Skill Set, however Skill points earned in the futureā€¦ā€