Alright, so I took the courage to become a Wayfarer on the early access and these are my thoughts so far

Oh I am sure that will very much be a thing.

As someone who has been playing for months and months. I can tell you that there are social dynamics, guilds and cooperative builds that are and will be remembered for a long time. Many people do not need PvP in order to have these things. This dynamic is not exclusive to PvP.

5 Likes

No, quite the opposite, you and your reliable friends teaming up with other reliable friends and making up entire countries. And there being social standards in the PvP community, and anarchy and government at once. Lonewolves, and even Diplomats.

This is an incorrect statement to assume that PvE in this game is all about the economy. But hey, what do I know. Only been playing this game for 4 years. /shrug

4 Likes

4 years playing this and not pixark… Hehe… I say play pixark for a day or two and then tell me if it’s not how I say it is.

I could care less if this game is like other games. It’s not. It’s why I was attracted to it in the first place.

On top of that I have a multitude of other games I play consistently each week that isn’t even in the same game genre as Boundless.

8 Likes

this does not sound pleasant to me at all.

absolutely.
I’m a builder and explorer, two of the main focuses of the game IMO and it has kept me playing for nearly 2000 hours now. un-opted pvp or raiding would make me stop playing immediately.

3 Likes

Yeah but you’re not used to re-doing your entire story in a better way, are you? You just have 1 timeline, not many, and you don’t learn from the other timelines, but there is learning to be had in different scenarios. Pixark is really close to the idea I suggest, although there are parallel timelines in different servers with the same people playing different roles so everything becomes entangled in a way, but this game has more potential, and I feel like it could get there and beyond if it just wanted to. Over in Pixark the replayability exists, you can be lvl 1 or lvl 100 and you never feel it being less fun to work towards leveling up, it doesn’t feel like a grind, it’s a process of efficient resource management, and it builds up towards security, keeping your village safe and keeping the visitors welcome at once.

There is a dynamic that exists under that environment that makes everyone recruit and integrate new players into the environment by giving them things to do for the community to level up fast by making larger tribes that share experience from crafting and everything. And it only exists in PvP because it’s necessary to survive as a tribe.

but the point of that mentality is to raid other players, attack them, destroy what they built, for your own gain.
that is such a negative aspect of a game I would never want to play.
That is why I play Boundless.

6 Likes

I am really confused. If Pixark has what you want, why are you not playing that game? Why does Boundless have to be a pixark clone?
Although I did notice that Piuxark has mixed rating on Steam and Boundless (without PvP) has a Mostly positive rating.

I disagree that this is unique to PvP. If you want a challenge, try to get a group to cooperate on a build or running a shop when they do not have to in order to survive. PvP relies on threat to get cooperation. In Boundless, people cooperate to build portal networks and cities because they want to. They can leave when they want, they do not need others to survive in most instances. This is much more of a challenge than using fear of attack and threats to gain cooperation.

8 Likes

Pixark, you mean that game where everyone builds underground and hides, only to be found by game-breaking X-ray glitches? Yeah… not a fan. I have 400 hours in it (member of THE FUN HOUSE, might’ve heard if you played the first few weeks).

1 Like

Because boundless has more raw potential, both are still in early access…

That’s the thing. I don’t care about Pixark. I never have and never will. Even with what you described, it doesn’t fit Boundless. Anyone that’s played the game for a decent amount of time would know it really doesn’t fit well with how this game is currently being developed.

PvP in this game doesn’t need to be something that has layers, like an onion, that breathes waves of complexity.

Taking a feature from another game and bringing into this one isn’t some fool-proof way of developing a good game. There’s a reason why Pixark and other games like it are designed the way they are cause the features and systems in those games work hand in hand with one another.

It would be like making every single tool and weapon in Boundless have this RNG factor on it that randomizes their stats when you craft it because Path of Exile has the same thing. It’s a pretty silly approach to bringing new design to a game that has a clear path of how it’s being developed and designed.

3 Likes

I don’t know how you play Pixark but i don’t build underground and I form tribes, and people take care of me.

I will agree Boundless has a lot of potential. We will always disagree on where it should go. I can see the potential in the addition of Titans, additional resources, planets and building items. I can see potential in the guilds expanding and providing for the universe. I can feel fulfilled in the roles already part of the boundless universe, hunter, gatherer, explorer, builder, crafter, and shopkeeper.

3 Likes

Go play Eve Online so you can have wars that last over a decade. There are a million PvP games and they constantly come and go. Rent yourself a planet in Boundless and make it a PvP planet then stay there forever killing and getting killed over and over until it bores you to tears. Then you can go find another game to do the same old thing over and over. Some of us got bored with PvP decades ago and have been through enough real world fighting and death so pixel fights won’t ever excite us.

6 Likes

HAHA like they’re even similar but if it was voxel based it wouldn’t even be the same genre of game, no argument there. It would probably even be nice like Ark, but also like pixark which is literally better. It’s the best and it’s cheaper than Ark, and newer than Ark.

lolwut

19 Likes

Hi guys ^^

Just finished reading everything: interesting!

I am one of those that, among the various games, played evil pk in UO, Counter-Strike for 7 years, finished GW1 and all the expansion and then played only pvp to unlock everything as pve was annoyng, played GW2 mainly in pvp world (and fractals) - the list is long… - and always liked to play pvp games, or the pvp aspect of the games.

But it’s not what i’m looking for in boundless… the beacon protection allow me to let anybody inside my buildings and i don’t even need to hide anything, cause anybody can arm me or my buildings… and i like this.

I would really like to see some kind of platform instance, as i belive this would really fit with the game and his grapple mechanichs and phisics.

I like pvp and in general it thrills me, but it’s not what I’m looking for - i belive i would not even like a pvp game with this graphic… but competition like the spleef arena are awesome… you just have to be crative… and that is what i m looking for in Boundless: creativity, lateral thinking, a sandbox in many sense…

[btw: you can grapple on another character if it is in your friend list, so basically if one of your friend is afk, you can pull him in the water and kill him by drawing, or pull him down from a cliff]

10 Likes