Are there any plans for Boundless this year?

Yep, those make up a big portion of the 1.0 trailer, posted further up in this thread. Weird to watch it again because I can recognize myself running down the hill with my double grapples.

Better character models, happier times.

1 Like

Is this one of them?

Errr
 Apparently I’ve forgotten how to HTML but I tried to copy-paste the link from the first video you posted here.

1 Like

I feel like
 why not make a new trailer ourselves? I’m sure we have professionals and/or enthusiasts to cover all necessary aspects without much trouble.

2 Likes

It would be nice if James just said what’s up. That’s all people want.

I hear he doesn’t even reply to Square Enix email about boundless anymore though, and they gave him millions of dollars. So I doubt he’ll answer us.

3 Likes

And it’s a minor detail to mention at this point, but the first trailer you posted in here
 If my memory serves me right, it was made in June 2018, not long before it got posted to YouTube. We all gathered together for an event on the test servers, and the devs staged a couple of quick photo ops like the scene with us running through the portal.

While some of the other worlds in the video were, in fact, official Early Access planets, that lovely blueish one with the giant trees was a test of their random world generating algorithms. A lot of the other random worlds we saw that day came out with color schemes that looked like unicorn vomit, and that’s why that one was a prime candidate for the trailer.

They’ve also come a long way in improving the lighting system since then, but the whole thing took a significant downgrade right before launch. And we all thought that those old character models would come back improved and with more options, and then they pulled the rug out from under us on Day One when we discovered that they’d been scrapped in favor of the current ones
 I can still remember a lot of the panic/anger going around when the Cat People got traded for the Poorly Shaded Goblin People.

We were like, “Awww, but I’m sure they’ll fix them eventually
 Right?” Fast-forward 3-1/2 years.

2 Likes

That screams legal gag to me if so, lawyers telling them not to talk unless essential. Could be some things going on we don’t know about. I’ll give them benefit of the doubt then towards this
 it would be one thing to decide to deal as little as possible with the community for whatever reason (strategic, annoyance, ect.) but not with an investor like that. No way to know what they are but if they’re not answering SE they’ve got some good reasons and there is worry about some sort of liability in play
 and I feel for them if so. :frowning: They and their game deserved to flourish
 not this.

4 Likes

If that’s true, depending on what these Square Enix emails are containing, that’d be a new low, and would depict James as someone really unprofessional, and not worth investing any more money into going forward.

If a “legal-gag” there is, and that has to be proven, it doesn’t make the situation ok, not by a mile.

Goblin People are People too.

2 Likes

Even when people are legally bound not to speak about something, they’re always free to say, “I can’t/won’t comment on that right now.” Someone’s paying those attorney fees, and it would be in their best interest to at least acknowledge their customers before the last of them walks away.

OP is officially 4 days old now, and THEIR OWN FORUM MOD can’t even get in touch with them. :exploding_head: If this goes an entire business week without a reply, I’ll be pretty impressed and for all the wrong reasons.

3 Likes

Prrrrrrrretty sure Majorvex has been trying to get in touch with them for more than a week, without us being fully aware. If making it public was going to change anything, I think we’d know.

JAAAAAAAAAMES

5 Likes

This is a pretty bold claim. Can I ask what your source of information for this is?

I still prefer the old cat race over the rock goblins we have now. They just seemed to have much more personality to them.

I think in terms of the community, at least for me personally, the not knowing part is the hardest.

Although I can see the issue with knowing as well
 it could be a pretty loaded response as, honestly, for the sake of the game, the only viable response they could give would need to be a positive one. If they turned up and said something like “Hey, thanks for joining us on this journey, but we will not be continuing with any further Boundless development”
 would this kill off any and all hope that people would still play and enjoy the game? I imagine it would have pretty big ripples across the community and reviews platforms.

I do stand by the fact that the game, as it stands, is completely playable and fun to play and I would hate for the negativity towards it being no longer developed (if that is indeed the case) to tarnish the experience for others that have yet to find the game and have that same enjoyment we have all experienced at one point or another.

Edit: Added a question mark instead of a full stop :wink:

7 Likes

Sure, the game is playable, fun, etc.
Still, it feels closer to a solo game at this point. When I first played the game, there were lots of active people all around my first place. Last time I was online, though, I only ever saw people because they came through our portals and were actively looking to chat. Depending on where you are, and if you’re savvy enough (or not) to know where to find other players, you’ll have a very different experience.
An MMO which received no updates for more than 6 months (let alone a full year) is bound to be declared clinically dead and have its less-dedicated players leave.
And sure, there are lots of features which were added, but some core features which would have elevated the overall experience are missing nonetheless (like Titans, Hunters, etc). One can only go on so many hunts before feeling a sense of “dĂ©jĂ -vu”.

The game is fun and playable, but it’s in bad health, to say the least. New players will never be able to have the proper experience they paid for. UNLESS there was something done like a wipe and heavy reduction of worlds, to bring everybody together or something
 Terrible idea, I know, I know, not saying it should happen either.

1 Like

If I were in their shoes, I might also be inclined not to give a “No Comment” type comment either
 that would be a dead giveaway that there is a legal issue in play, which could scare off customers even more, they might figure. Or lawyers told them not to even say that (just knowing lawyers
 they’re UK of course, but the civil stuff similar enough to see that being the case for them as well).

I agree with @Stretchious that the not knowing is the hardest
 if it really is the case that they’re aren’t answering SE even, then I admit I WANT to believe it is for a reason like this, because other explanations I can think of are just bad. But then, I can’t rule out it is just an epic brush-off either. But if so, then why even keep the game running? When I just read what DK posted a bit ago, I worried as even if Phil plans to give us plenty of warning if they will no longer fund the servers, as he said, they don’t own the game, so Turbulenz could independently still pull the plug, and if they aren’t talking to them, no way to know if that’s in the works. But then, why haven’t they done so already, unless it might be still getting them a bit of money?

2 Likes

After the disastrous years of the gaming industry since COVID started, the HIGH level of just bad behaviors presented by some companies (between Warcraft 3 Reforged, Cyberpunk 2077, GTA Definitive Edition Trilogy, Battlefield MW 2042, and lots, LOTS more), it takes me NO EFFORT to imagine that a dev like James could just have decided that ghosting his playerbase for the foreseeable future was an acceptable option.
I don’t think it costs him anything to let Square Enix pay for the servers until they decide to pull the plug, so he’s just going to let us all get tired of the game, eventually. But I’m guessing that at this point, he doesn’t consider Boundless to be his problem anymore.

1 Like

Let’s apply Occam’s Razor here

Their forums used to be a way for them to communicate with players. They continued to speak to people on said forums, even after entering into their agreement with Larian, although the frequency dropped until it abated completely. They’ve gone through multiple employees, often for relatively short periods of employment, whose express purpose was to speak on the forums. What’re the odds that they’re not allowed to speak on their own forums?

No major government on this planet will acknowledge that extraterrestrials exist. Evidence in favor of their existence has always proven to be hazy and difficult to decipher. Witnesses who claim to have been abducted and released have all been
 questionable at best. What’re the odds that they were abducted by aliens?

The history of Boundless has been fraught with bad business decisions. The project started without adequate funding, as evidenced by their earliest “feature roadmap” where they checked off game features for development based on whether or not they raised enough money to develop them. The engine underwent an overhaul before the game even made it out the door. Their knee-jerk approach to development alienated significant chunks of the player base at regular intervals. Their pattern of communication suffered long before contracting with Larian, as they went from weekly updates to monthly updates to whenever-we-get-to-it-updates.

What’re the odds that it’s another bad business decision?

4 Likes

I have to concede you all might be right here. I hate to think it though. :frowning: There were things with style of communication even before all this that lend credibility to this being some bad decision making - not worth elaborating but will just say on a personal note something got said to me on social media early on (before Leah took over there, who is awesome, I’d have probably given up on it if it weren’t for her) after I tried to start promoting the game that I took as a huge slap in the face and would have had me out the door if I didn’t already love the game and community so much - something I concede, me admittedly being a prideful and sensitive sort, could have been an attempt at humor (though I saw other signs backing up that was serious though maybe worded to look like a joke). But at the same time I also saw the passion they at least used to have for this
 and it is also for Aenea’s sake that I want to believe it isn’t the case that they’d do this with no good legal/business related reason, as they were so kind to her.

Well, I’ll step out of the conversation now I guess
 I’ll keep playing and just hope we don’t get a plug pull. I really do love you all here, it is a lot of what keeps me going with it! :heart:

7 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think there’s a single person here who’s upset with the state of the game who doesn’t also understand your pain and feel something similar. Everyone who gave up on Boundless left the building a long time ago.

7 Likes

I’ve done quite a bit more programming at work lately and I think if I could take a crack at the code they are having difficulty with; I could come up with a viable solution to their issue that prevented that last update to launch. I doubt the logistics would pan out, and legally if I started “unofficial” servers I’d likely have some trouble. But I do think now I could solve the issue given some time with the source code. I’d be happy to be like “here is the code to fix the update so it plays nice, please release this so we have a viable ‘solo’ mode and it can flourish in the event that the live servers ever do come down”. As it stands if we loose the live servers
 well I fear we loose boundless, and that would be a loss I don’t want to face.

I appreciate that we have at least a soft confirmation that the live servers aren’t coming down yet. It just seems unfortunate, or oddly coincidental that the last update that was on testing included a ‘solo mode’ and has been delayed for what seems like indefinitely.

2 Likes

If we listen to James, it’s not a ‘code’ issue, more a ‘time’ issue. And even then, it’s been 4 months since he last spoke on the matter, so it’s also likely more of a ‘money’ issue where James can’t pay anyone to finish the work.

We could all provide something to improve the game. But it’s pointless, James won’t reply to such requests.

3 Likes

There’s probably a few of us around that could. But this (as well as other past issues) feel more like a logistical issue than a technical one.

I could be totally wrong, but it feels like the problems lie in deciding how something should work rather than actually coding it to do the thing it should do. This stuff can be so time consuming (considering that involves conversations like how to balance things etc) and that’s something that isn’t (and arguably shouldn’t) be in our hands.

But if you did wanted to get involved in a Boundless-ish project, I believe some of the (ex)-players here put a team together to build a “similar” version if someone can find you a link.

2 Likes