Art: Grappling Hook new look concept

Maybe as a 2.0 feature. That would be great^^

We already have collision detection with creatures. An additional speed detection query that applies damage or a stun to a creature if the relative velocity is above a certain limit (aka. when swinging) seems like something that is doable withing a reasonable amount of effort.
And making your initial hit by swinging in like Tarzan just sounds too amazing

But it would feel very cheap if you swung just through a person but they’d get hit anyway.
A realtime collision detection that updates the hit player too is much more complicated than what we have at the moment.

1 Like

But that´s what I´m talking about. Those mechanics are already ingame.
You can swing from a tree and if you hit a goat it gets pushed away depended on your speed and you get slowed down (and a little bit deflected),
I just suggested to add a stun or dmg to the impact to make it actually useful.
(Never talked about player on player collision)

Sorry I assumed player on player because i just saw 2 people xD Silly me.

Also I didn’t know we could push creatures around while swinging TIL I guess.

Yea then it might not take that much to implement it. But we don’t know for sure until confirmation from a dev^^

1 Like

Gloves I like. Grapping handles that have hands attached still seems weird, as @KuroKuma said.

2 Likes

Probably worth mentioning that collision and prediction can have quite complex implications. Grappling clientside onto an entity serverside that can be influenced by other entities on the server and then back to the client is a bit of a risk at the moment and my head already hurts and @lucadeltodecso can explain it better than me.

3 Likes

I think you´ve got me wrong.
I wasn´t talking about a Scorpion (Mortal Combat) like hooking/grappling of a creature. I meant something like grappling a tree, or any other high structure, and swinging down from it onto a creature.

Note, we do NOT have player/creature collisions.

What we have, is players and creatures being able to softly cause each other to be pushed away from one another non-physically. And when it comes to the player, the player NEVER gets moved around by other players or creatures.

This is also completely unpredicted (and cannot reasonably be predicted), when you push a creature around, what you see client side is a delay in the creature being pushed that other people do not see when they ‘watch’ you pushing that same creature around from their perspective.

5 Likes

That´s some really awesome background information but does this system allow to detect the relative velocity between the player and a creature upon impact and inflict damage (or other status changes like stun) based on it? (Because that´s what I was initially suggesting :grin: )

Ps: I think that everyone is calling it collision because it was introduced as collision when it was first announced in a devlog.

That is a shame … I so enjoy running at livestock and launching them off the side of my bridge into the murky depths below. We could have made a new quirky sport out of it to see who could launch them the furthest!

3 Likes

Dual wielding was “confirmed” in the past, so…

That dual wield hammer picture is great. Now I can run in a straight line screaming “I’M BUILDING THINGS!!” while wildly flailing both hammers smashing everything in my path.

<3

Well another idea of weapon or tool types we could do is something like kinectic gloves, as references from this images, what I mean is that used as a tool or weapon we could push away enemies from a near distance or we could grap him with the force. just have a look on references like Dead Space or BulletStorm with some cool energy weapons like an energy whip.

this could be awsome for getting for example far away blocks or something. don’t know just is an idea

Mehh… It might just be me, but im not sure if i’m a fan of the hand style grappling hook. Im not wanting to upset anyone, but personaly I prefer the claw designs. :confused:

3 Likes

Anyone tried the game Attack on Titan Tribute Game? I’ve always wanted to suggest to put their grappling hook mechanics into consideration.

The grappling hook mechanics there are pretty easy to grasp, very intuitive unlike the current system now (Very confusing for me and requires unnecessary steps at some point) and allows quick maneuvering easily.

The grappling hook in that game makes use of “q” and “e” for hooking which allows good dual wielding opportunities.

I don’t want to discuss the whole mechanics here as it is not related to the thread. Just wanted to sprout a mini suggestion here :slight_smile:

1 Like

So grappling hooks should be an equippable?
If so, I vote yes!

The glove is awesome and the possibilities are cool. If not concept 24 is cool.

i think the grappling hook should be worn like a glove, and then when you grapple the hand part pops off and pulls you to where you grappled to and then it reconnects back into the glove/gauntlet shape

the pweEEEE one is cooool, it should shoot the hand instead of a string.