Art: Grappling Hook new look concept

To be honest, if you want to go with a hand that releases an energy trail then I would make the grappling hook a glove. So basically scratch one of the two hands^^ (the hand holding the hand that releases the energy)

At the moment it looks weird to me. (not the positive kind of weird, sadly)

4 Likes

I love how people are gonna look like this when dual wielding them :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Sweet, love it!

One of our artists referenced this form LoL which is cool. The grapple is also our first ‘equipment’ type, and we’ve talked about a few others (‘jetpack’, glider, hookshot). The glove is a really nice way to differentiate equipment from the tools and weapons, and it potentially lends itself to those other types well too :smile:

Another nice thing about the glove is that is appears like the equipped hand is less occupied than when you’re holding a tool or weapon. A common use case will be dual wielding weapons/tools with the hook, so this could work well as a complement to those.

6 Likes

I would love gloves that can grapple _

2 Likes

Vi from lol is a good example, another example that would make sense would be the kinetics weapon from Skyforge (if you dont plan to make it a weapon anyways)

but i agree with @KuroKuma if you will make it a hand there really shouldn’t be a handle.

PS: slighly offtopic, but since you mentioned gliders, im really worried about how that would work and i fear people would just make dirtblock towers and jump around to avoid everything dangerous.

3 Likes

A hand that blasts energy that you can pull/swing from? It’s pretty early in the morning right now so I’m not sure if I’m dreaming, but that sounds like the most epic thing ever!

3 Likes

Can i use it as a weapon!!
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaseeeeee
:3 :3 :3

Gaining momentum and smashing through enemies would be pretty rad :smile:

2 Likes

Maybe as a 2.0 feature. That would be great^^

We already have collision detection with creatures. An additional speed detection query that applies damage or a stun to a creature if the relative velocity is above a certain limit (aka. when swinging) seems like something that is doable withing a reasonable amount of effort.
And making your initial hit by swinging in like Tarzan just sounds too amazing

But it would feel very cheap if you swung just through a person but they’d get hit anyway.
A realtime collision detection that updates the hit player too is much more complicated than what we have at the moment.

1 Like

But that´s what I´m talking about. Those mechanics are already ingame.
You can swing from a tree and if you hit a goat it gets pushed away depended on your speed and you get slowed down (and a little bit deflected),
I just suggested to add a stun or dmg to the impact to make it actually useful.
(Never talked about player on player collision)

Sorry I assumed player on player because i just saw 2 people xD Silly me.

Also I didn’t know we could push creatures around while swinging TIL I guess.

Yea then it might not take that much to implement it. But we don’t know for sure until confirmation from a dev^^

1 Like

Gloves I like. Grapping handles that have hands attached still seems weird, as @KuroKuma said.

2 Likes

Probably worth mentioning that collision and prediction can have quite complex implications. Grappling clientside onto an entity serverside that can be influenced by other entities on the server and then back to the client is a bit of a risk at the moment and my head already hurts and @lucadeltodecso can explain it better than me.

3 Likes

I think you´ve got me wrong.
I wasn´t talking about a Scorpion (Mortal Combat) like hooking/grappling of a creature. I meant something like grappling a tree, or any other high structure, and swinging down from it onto a creature.

Note, we do NOT have player/creature collisions.

What we have, is players and creatures being able to softly cause each other to be pushed away from one another non-physically. And when it comes to the player, the player NEVER gets moved around by other players or creatures.

This is also completely unpredicted (and cannot reasonably be predicted), when you push a creature around, what you see client side is a delay in the creature being pushed that other people do not see when they ‘watch’ you pushing that same creature around from their perspective.

5 Likes

That´s some really awesome background information but does this system allow to detect the relative velocity between the player and a creature upon impact and inflict damage (or other status changes like stun) based on it? (Because that´s what I was initially suggesting :grin: )

Ps: I think that everyone is calling it collision because it was introduced as collision when it was first announced in a devlog.

That is a shame … I so enjoy running at livestock and launching them off the side of my bridge into the murky depths below. We could have made a new quirky sport out of it to see who could launch them the furthest!

3 Likes