Art: Plinth and Container Props

wikipedia and copy + paste, bam you know have all items. bad idea in my eyes-

This is at least as exciting as @claudiotolomei ´s concept art, if not even more exciting!

6 Likes

Ah right yeah, I see what you mean on that now… yeah that makes sense.

If that is the case, there would need to be some sort of selection process on the plinth to say “I want to buy [quantity] x [item]”.

Edit: Not to mention [colour] if that also applies!

1 Like

hm you’d have to get someone else to write you a book which you could then read. But there will always be a way to know everything.

edit: maybe you could only put items in the book you already have a journal entry?^^

which i guess, removes the argument that we should keep blocks a secret, meaning that a drop down list would be fine.

which blocks should we keep secret? Ah, on the plinth? well not quite but maybe.

the secret ones :wink:

i thought that was your argument with the sentence

Yes it was^^ I just didn’t get what you meant at first.

But if you could only write about items in books (like with a special syntax) you already have a journal entry then someone would need to have seen every item to make a book that gives you the whole list of items and that would be quite a task^^

you might as well just save one of each item, my problem is that when you need something you usually dont have it, or more often, you might never have had it. depending on how much materials vary from world to world i might need ice ore from a snow world i have never been to, which is why i would personally prefer a drop down list instead of being forced to find the item first, cause again, you need it cause you haven’t found it.

I love the idea of being able to both buy and request things.

With my idea you’d just read a book from someone who already was there (and talked about it in the book), or talk to someone who already had that block and that gives you the entry in your journal. After that you can display it on the “want to buy” - plinth.

That would certainly foster social behavior and/or exploration.

2 Likes

I kind of get the feeling that the plinths are more suited to selling weapons and tools as opposed to standard blocks and building materials.

Yeah think it would be great if there was a special thing you had to do, however I don’t think you should be able to share it so easily, if it was something like transferring the information i think it would be a good idea, it would keep a certain worth of having seen rare blocks, also i think you should destroy the block in the process, meaning you have to make a choice, which is worth more, the rare block or the knowledge of the rare block?

1 Like

Point :slight_smile:

Though it would feel rater wierd to stuff 300 blocks on each of the four shelfs.

About displays on buy plinths: How about just needin to talk with people if you need an item you don’t own? Plinths feel more like mass buy and sell things than “searching for a specific rare item” things.

if you can place x amount of them on the same thing then i dont see why you shouldnt be able to sell blocks that way. the problem would then arise that some might possibly use it as huge chests, unless ofc they are more expensive to craft than chests.

Or you know just placing a container beside or under the plinth? :slight_smile:

Maybe you’d only have to destroy it if you want more information? I mean I don’t have to destroy my phone to know where I got it from^^

The idea with books was just so books get an additional meaning but I suppose just writting the location of certain things in books would already make them worth buying/making.

Sorry but this whole “book” idea sounds nothing but annoying and will probably only lead to 2 behaviors:

1. /trade WTB Book w [block x] /w me spamming.
  2. People making money by copy/pasting stuff into books, which is not a fun gamplay feature whatsoever.
2 Likes

No neither do you need to have seen a specific phone to say ‘‘i want to buy this phone’’ you can just search ‘‘phone’’ and you can find the phone you would like to buy.

Be careful not to use real life logic as an argument unless its very specific, as ben always says ‘‘is a universe of 1 x 1 x 1 m blocks’’

This solves @Zouls original issue, especially if there’s completion matching (which would just make it more efficient).