Art: Race and wearable variations

I’d be interested in seeing a mock-up of what you guys are imagining some end game armor to look like. I can see enjoying this feel during the lower levels, but items should advance in aesthetics as they advance in power and I’d be curious to see how the tribal look evolves.

5 Likes

Do you mean like ESO where armors have different ‘‘Styles’’ which have repeating traits but looks better and better the higher level it is?

Example

Level 1 Nord armor

Endgame Nord armor

1 Like

We’re not planning for wearables to follow a traditional progression path at this point, as they’re so tied to customisation. You’ll unlock the ability to make more diffetent types of wearables with different but not necessarily better abilities. That way every wearable is valid throughout all stages of play, and everyone should look different and unique.

If you make wearables follow strict progression you tend to end up with everyone wearing pretty much the same gear later on, which really sucks. That’s a trope we’re going to try to avoid and improve upon.

11 Likes

Will you be able to competely customize your armor,
Color
Size(doesn’t effect strength of armor)
etc…

For example (and this is an example, nothing is finalised yet): wood wearable could buff crafting abilities, where stone could buff mining. Having nothing equipped could be a buff to agility (so there’s no disincentive to having a slot with nothing equipped, for example). Lots of different ways to think about these beyond the established ideas.

8 Likes

Sounds awesome! I really like this idea :smile:
You guys have great ideas!

2 Likes

That’s is crazy cool,I love it!!!
Great job.

1 Like

Any thoughts on the idea of letting gear be Buff/Debuff based

example

Stone = More armor and hp / Less movement speed
Wood = Crafting bonus / Less weapon moveability

Or in general having something along the lines of FF14 field and combat gear, meaning you have gearsets for crafting/mining/gathering and then you have gear sets for combat?

3 Likes

One of my personal design dislikes is transmogs. They’re a total apology for badly designed armour progression (ie: everything keeps getting embellished to the point where everyone looks like Liberace) and they totally break the readability of armour (ie: you know what someone’s wearing and stats by looking at them). Loads of things to improve and change in this area imho.

4 Likes

That is one of my personal favorite parts tbh, its really not an easy way out of bad armor design, its a way to gives players the ability to customize how they look, customization is one of the biggest things for me in games, it sucks to look like everybody else however mixing different pieces of equipment from different tiers of the game can make something truly unique.

For readability, that is one point, in one way its a convenience and in one way it isnt, for others it nice because you can just go ‘‘oh i can see he is wearing tier 7 gear so he is tier 7’’ but for the people being affected by it they might think ‘‘i hate the look of tier 7 gear, its so ugly i would love if i could mix tier 3 and tier 4’’

I agree that more fancy doesnt always mean better looking, however it doesnt mean either that less fancy and dull armor is always better.

Convenience VS player freedom

Thats a pretty cool concept but now I´m curious how more experienced players will differ from new ones.
You mentioned that one will unlock different types of wearables that are not automatically better. So if I stick to a type that is unlocked from the beginning because I like its bonus. How (if) would I as high tier character be different from a beginner that uses the same type of wearable in regards of look and bonus?

This could also make a good question for the upcoming survey. How much should the experience of a player be reflected in his gear?

2 Likes

Could you wear multiple pieces from different armor and just get a little bit of a buff from each piece of armor.

1 Like

If I could like that post more than once, I would. :+1:

5 Likes

I read Ben’s post as:

More experienced players (not necessarily higher level ones), will have access to more gear options. They will be able to have more variety - and assuming that gear pieces have varied bonuses - the more experienced player will be able to better round their stats/abilities out.

I.e. you have a larger pool of items to choose from when building an entire suit of gear.

I’m also secretly hoping that more difficult to obtain gear has unique bonuses (maybe new/modified abilities). Doesn’t have to be more powerful than other abilities, just new/different/interesting.

4 Likes

I think it’s best to stop asking questions about armor stats and customizing for now. We didn’t unlock that feature yet :grin:.

We’re just looking at the tip of the iceberg after all.

1 Like

Well,I’m asking for what they plan to do.

That´s also how I would interpret it. However I´d still like to know if more options/variation is the only thing that will change with increased experience/progress.

Yes that’s fine, but we still have to remember that the devs are still planning this out too. More questions to rough ideas aren’t always a good thing since they’re bound to change.

We all have our own preference to how armor progression and customization should be done, but it’s always good to sit back and see what the devs will do. Once we get more info. That’s when we can start getting into detail and ask questions.

Also, this Devlog’s main point was to showcase the character variation. The armor was secondary.

5 Likes

LOL!

1 Like

Its a basic reward mechanism, these systems reward players for getting into higher levels by making more ‘‘fancy’’ or ‘‘cooler’’ gear, personal a big fan of these types of gear, but i can understand why some wouldnt.